Hard_Configurator - Windows Hardening Configurator

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
Earlier, I tried to update my graphics driver through the Radeon Settings app and failed because the app is downloading the setup file in the downloads folder and it is being blocked by SRP.
Minor nuisance because I just one-clicked "switch off srp" and "switch off restrictions" and repeated the process with success.
Nevertheless, I was wondering if there is any way to whitelist this whole operation so I don't need to touch the switches in the future?

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Earlier, I tried to update my graphics driver through the Radeon Settings app and failed because the app is downloading the setup file in the downloads folder and it is being blocked by SRP.
Minor nuisance because I just one-clicked "switch off srp" and "switch off restrictions" and repeated the process with success.
Nevertheless, I was wondering if there is any way to whitelist this whole operation so I don't need to touch the switches in the future?
You should not whitelist the updater executables in the Download folder. But anyway, such files can be installed manually without switching default-deny. Just use "Run As Smartscreen" option from the right-click Explorer context menu.:giggle:
Please, read also the help for "Run As SmartScreen" option in H_C (I am sorry, this help is not easy to read).(y)

Last edited:

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
Thanks Andy, will do.
The issue was that the app was trying to download the executable and install it without user interaction.
In the future I will download and install the driver update manually.

Reactions: Andy Ful

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Can you advise what you had to do in order to get SWTOR to run with hard_configurator installed?

Thanks,
Erz

Its the legit unmodified swtor launcher that starts any patching they do for updates (via bitraider or so). After the game is patched you can play it.
The launcher.exe opens the screen for your logindata. After entering them any needed patching would start. After that i guess launcher.exe? starts the swtor.exe which is the mainexe for the game.
Why the hell it needs admin rights? No clue. But the game is as legit as it gets. No crack, private server whatever. Only bioware can answer why they need admin :D Just wanted to ask since you mentioned games don't need admin and i wanted to know what i did wrong?

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Windows 10 Home. Windows Defender as Firewall /AV and OSArmor installed with default config.

Only started trying out H_C this weekend. Setup is Recommend settings and ConfigureDefender set to High.

Just nothing happened when I clicked Start menu link and then tried running that, the original link and the launcher.exe as SmartScreen but nothing happened. Just the permission popup when trying to run launcher without opening as SS. I probably need to whitelist some folders or something I'm guessing but I'll see what the log says.

Thanks.

Reactions: Andy Ful

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Windows 10 Home. Windows Defender as Firewall /AV and OSArmor installed with default config.

Only started trying out H_C this weekend. Setup is Recommend settings and ConfigureDefender set to High.

Just nothing happened when I clicked Start menu link and then tried running that, the original link and the launcher.exe as SmartScreen but nothing happened. Just the permission popup when trying to run launcher without opening as SS. I probably need to whitelist some folders or something I'm guessing but I'll see what the log says.

Thanks.
If you install games and software, then WD (ConfigureDefender HIGH Protection Level) + OSArmor (blocked scripting engines and some LOLBins) + FirewallHardening tool will be enough. You can also try RunBySmartScreen tool to run/open untrusted files via the right-click Explorer context menu.
Please note, that blocking PowerShell via OSArmor will make ConfigureDefender dysfunctional - you have to temporarily turn off OSArmor protection to use ConfigureDefender.

If you want to use H_C with Recommended Settings then they are optimized for semi-locked setup and OSArmor can be skipped.

Last edited:

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Thanks! Maybe it's OSArmor conflict then. Back home in a couple of hours. Will try your suggestions and let you k knows. Thanks for all your help so far. It's a great bit of software:)

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Ok, so Swtor icon click I get error:
Access to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\EA\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\Star Wars - The Old Republic.lnk has been restricted by your Administrator by the default software restriction policy level.

But that was the only error. I managed to get it to run by manually running the launcher.exe file. Going to try whitelisting the link and see if that works.

Removed OSArmor as using H_C recommended settings, ConfigureDefender on HIGH.

Eric

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Whitelisting the start menu folder for that fixed it for me. All good now.

So - Running H_C Recommended Settings and ConfigureDefender as High the best settings to have? I should really get around to reading the manual about FirewallHardening though I expect what I'm using now will probably suffice.

Erz

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
You mean the question of OSArmor necessary with, H_C? From what I gathered from Andy Ful's earlier response it isn't necessary:

"If you want to use H_C with Recommended Settings then they are optimized for semi-locked setup and OSArmor can be skipped. "

But I'm new to this side of security so we'll wait for Andy Ful's response/clarification. At the moment it's uninstalled while I've been testing things out.

Erz

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
You mean the question of OSArmor necessary with, H_C? From what I gathered from Andy Ful's earlier response it isn't necessary:

"If you want to use H_C with Recommended Settings then they are optimized for semi-locked setup and OSArmor can be skipped. "

But I'm new to this side of security so we'll wait for Andy Ful's response/clarification. At the moment it's uninstalled while I've been testing things out.

Erz
No I mean if you use H_C at the recommended settings do you still need Firewall Hardening?

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
No I mean if you use H_C at the recommended settings do you still need Firewall Hardening?

Ah, yes. I see what you mean now. Sorry, been a long day at work. It's one of those age old questions. The malicious program would be blocked but if it happens not to be, it could manipulate system files to connect out. So my guess is that it's useful as a precaution as doesn't do any harm having the default block rules added. As I've said, new to H_C so I lack the detailed knowledge.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.