Hard_Configurator - Windows Hardening Configurator

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Okay, I've got to chime in here because the last posts in this thread seem related to my choice of H.C. over Voodooshield, and someone seeming to be offended that I made that choice.

I am a big fan of Voodooshield. I used it from the day I first heard about it on Wilder's, until a few months ago when I chose to try Hard Configurator. Voodooshield was rock solid. I never had any trouble, or any failures to protect. I simply wanted to try something else, and then got the bright idea to use both HC and VS. If one was that good, both together ought to even better. Right? Then, I decided to remove one I had used for years to try something new. That's it in a nutshell.

I have the greatest respect for Dan and his persistence, and he has created a fantastic product in spite of attacks against him and VS. Nowhere will you ever find a post written by me saying anything derogatory about either Dan or Voodooshield. I have v5.60 sitting in my download folder on the chance I might choose to return. And I'll download the latest version when it becomes available.

Hard Configurator, with ConfigDefender and Firewall Hardened is also a great product. I like it, and with Win 10 Recommended Enhanced it, too, is solid and I've experienced no problem using it in that configuration. Eventually, I might return to VS, or something else will come along that I wish to try. It doesn't mean I suddenly developed a dislike for HC.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020
Okay, I've got to chime in here because the last posts in this thread seem related to my choice of H.C. over Voodooshield, and someone seeming to be offended that I made that choice.

I am a big fan of Voodooshield. I used it from the day I first heard about it on Wilder's, until a few months ago when I chose to try Hard Configurator. Voodooshield was rock solid. I never had any trouble, or any failures to protect. I simply wanted to try something else, and then got the bright idea to use both HC and VS. If one was that good, both together ought to even better. Right? Then, I decided to remove one I had used for years to try something new. That's it in a nutshell.

I have the greatest respect for Dan and his persistence, and he has created a fantastic product in spite of attacks against him and VS. Nowhere will you ever find a post written by me saying anything derogatory about either Dan or Voodooshield. I have v5.60 sitting in my download folder on the chance I might choose to return. And I'll download the latest version when it becomes available.

Hard Configurator, with ConfigDefender and Firewall Hardened is also a great product. I like it, and with Windows 10 Recommended Enhanced it, too, is solid and I've experienced no problem using it in that configuration. Eventually, I might return to VS, or something else will come along that I wish to try. It doesn't mean I suddenly developed a dislike for HC.

i don't think anyone here is offended by your choice
however the Voodooshield developer is very mightily shaken based upon another one of his crackpot rant posts on his forum
it's pretty darn sad when one has delusions of conspiracy and sabotage every single day
o_O

Outpost

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 11, 2020
i don't think anyone here is offended by your choice
however the Voodooshield developer is very mightily shaken based upon another one of his crackpot rant posts on his forum
it's pretty darn sad when one has delusions of conspiracy and sabotage every single day
o_O

I'm sincerely sorry about that. DAN doesn't deserve this.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
o_O
We had a lot of private conservation with Dan. He was slightly too much defensive about VoodooShield, but that is all. He is a good guy and VoodooShield is a very good security soft.
Guys, it was an interesting trip to the VoodooShield land, but let's return to the topic.:)

Feb 8, 2020
Here are my feelings about working on the new H_C features:

Andy
🤧😫😩😭😤🤬🥴

new features
:poop:👻👽

:)

Just add useless features.

One developer famously says "You have to keep innovating by adding new features."

New features need not ever be used as long as they look good on paper and for marketing.

You know how many licenses that developer sells with the new features ? Maybe, 100 - 300 per year.

cash-money

🦊

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Just add useless features.

One developer famously says "You have to keep innovating by adding new features."

New features need not ever be used as long as they look good on paper and for marketing.

You know how many licenses that developer sells with the new features ? Maybe, 100 - 300 per year.

cash-money

🦊
That would be true if H_C was a paid application. The H_C is rather a research project adjusted to the home environment, which is a different approach as compared to other solutions. So, I rather avoid adding too many features, which sometimes can frustrate H_C users. I am focused more on making something good (which is a hard task), than making it popular due to many features.:)

The AV vendors do not truly adjust their products to the home environment. They make/sell a product for businesses and next they cut some advanced features and sell/give it to the home users (as a secondary market). So, the vendors do not block/restrict scripting, do not block remote access, etc. These features are required in businesses and blocking them will require adding new features (not cutting advanced features).

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020
That would be true if H_C was a paid application. The H_C is rather a research project adjusted to the home environment, which is a different approach as compared to other solutions. So, I rather avoid adding too many features, which sometimes can frustrate H_C users. I am focused more on making something good (which is a hard task), than making it popular due to many features.:)

The AV vendors do not truly adjust their products to the home environment. They make/sell a product for businesses and next they cut some advanced features and sell/give it to the home users (as a secondary market). So, the vendors do not block/restrict scripting, do not block remote access, etc. These features are required in businesses and blocking them will require adding new features (not cutting advanced features).

it was joke

how much will EV certificate for SmartScreen cost you ?

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
how much will EV certificate for SmartScreen cost you ?
H_C is not intended for enterprises, so the EV certificate is not required. It has a good reputation in SmartScreen with a cheap certificate. I can afford it without donations (so far).

Feb 8, 2020
H_C is not intended for enterprises, so the EV certificate is not required. It has a good reputation in SmartScreen with a cheap certificate. I can afford it without donations (so far).

yeah, but EV cert will guarantee no problems with SmartScreen - like, ever
smartscreen rejects the Microsoft Authenticode cert
because Microsoft has been de-valuing its own Authenticode for years at this point

EV cert is not just for enterprises, Microsoft developed it for all publishers
it's just not popular because of the amount of info needed, the hoops you have to jump through and, of course, the $250+ per year

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
EV cert is not just for enterprises, Microsoft developed it for all publishers
The policies applied in enterprises often require signing by an EV certificate. The EV certificate is not required in the home environment. After signing H_C by actual certificate there is no problem with SmartScreen because the H_C certificate has gained good reputation.

Oten

Level 2
Verified
Mar 12, 2018
Hi Andy,

I tried to run a program and its blocked. I have excluded it in WD setting and ASR exclusion list but still blocked. Its' folder path also whitelisted. HC with Win 10 recommended enhanced profile and cofigure defender on max. How to fix it?

blocked.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Hi Andy,

I tried to run a program and its blocked. I have excluded it in WD setting and ASR exclusion list but still blocked. Its' folder path also whitelisted. HC with Windows 10 recommended enhanced profile and cofigure defender on max. How to fix it?

View attachment 233652
Probably you have to use right click and run by SmartScreen.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Hi Andy,

I tried to run a program and its blocked. I have excluded it in WD setting and ASR exclusion list but still blocked. Its' folder path also whitelisted. HC with Windows 10 recommended enhanced profile and cofigure defender on max. How to fix it?

View attachment 233652
Hi,

This is not a block from WD, so you should remove the exclusions from WD settings and ASR exclusions.
Does, this block appear also after rebooting the system?
If so, then please, use <Tools> <Blocked Events / Security Logs> to find the blocked file path and post here (replace the name of your user folder with XXXXX). (y)

Oten

Level 2
Verified
Mar 12, 2018
Hi,

This is not a block from WD, so you should remove the exclusions from WD settings and ASR exclusions.
Does, this block appear also after rebooting the system?
If so, then please, use <Tools> <Blocked Events / Security Logs> to find the blocked file path and post here (replace the name of your user folder with XXXXX). (y)

Nevermind, its running now. Thanks for replying :)

Last edited:
Reactions: shmu26 and Andy Ful

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
Hi Andy, small query for you please. I installed recommended H_C settings on a family member's pc on an SUA . The user has skype installed, which is updated by clicking update inside the program after which an executable is downloaded to userspace, and therefore blocked from running at the following location:

C:\Users\Alice\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Skype for Desktop\Skype-Setup.exe

If I whitelist the above path, to allow skype updates, will the downloaded executable be smartscreened?

thanks again (y) (y) (y) 😛😛😛

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Hi Andy, small query for you please. I installed recommended H_C settings on a family member's pc on an SUA . The user has skype installed, which is updated by clicking update inside the program after which an executable is downloaded to userspace, and therefore blocked from running at the following location:

C:\Users\Alice\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Skype for Desktop\Skype-Setup.exe

If I whitelist the above path, to allow skype updates, will the downloaded executable be smartscreened?

thanks again (y) (y) (y) 😛😛😛
The updater executables are usually downloaded by the applications, without MOTW. So, they will be run without a SmartScreen check, too.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.