Advice Request How good is Kaspersky against PUPs/adware?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Nagisa

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
It's very solid in terms of protection but I heard it's not as strong (or does it care about) in protection against PUPs that are not actually malicious but annoying. For example, I just saw this topic.

Screenshot_2020-05-30 Software Battle - Kaspersky Internet Security vs Symantec Endpoint Prote...png

Then,

Screenshot_2020-05-30 Software Battle - Kaspersky Internet Security vs Symantec Endpoint Prote...png

This is actually funny, made me laugh a bit xd.

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
How about Bitdefender, is their protection ok regarding PUP/adware?

BitDefender is in the same position of Kaspersky, detects some of them. But you need to use 3rd parties Tools to remove most of PUP/Adware. Unfortunately.
That's the negative point of BitDefender. They detect, but isn't good overall.a

Antivirus company should focus in PUP / Adware, maybe if you contact the support or going to the forum complaint they add that to the list, or make some update.
For me PUP/Adware is like having a Malware "collecting our data" silently

AV Companies should look for their PUP / Adware protection, one AV that care and are improving in that is GData and Emsisoft. Specially GData has a huge improvement in that.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I would say that Kaspersky is more lenient with PUP/Adware than most. I myself have not experienced Kaspersky free missing any adware, although I am very careful with my downloads.

I would suggest changing the setting in Kaspersky to maximum detection, that might help with some detection

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
@carsten ibsen if you use BD TS with Adguard Premium you should disable https scanning from Adguard, they are both scanning https so in my opinion is not a good choice because you will have certificate issues.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
@carsten ibsen if you use BD TS with Adguard Premium you should disable https scanning from Adguard, they are both scanning https so in my opinion is not a good choice because you will have certificate issues.
Adguard works with other AVs HTTPS scanning. It uses a different network driver I think if an installed AV is already doing HTTPS scanning so it doesn't usually cause any issue.
I think harlan4096 is using Adguard & Kaspersky with HTTPS scanning enabled for both without any problem.

ahmed 12

Level 1
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
Adguard works with other AVs HTTPS scanning. It uses a different network driver I think if an installed AV is already doing HTTPS scanning so it doesn't usually cause any issue.
I think harlan4096 is using Adguard & Kaspersky with HTTPS scanning enabled for both without any problem.
there is a certificate problem between Kaspersky safe money and Adguard for windows I forced to remove Adguard but, I tested it with Bitdefender and ESET it works fine.

ahmed 12

Level 1
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
Did you try to use safe money alongside with Adguard with HTTPS enabled? in my case it gives me certificate problem and after contacting Kaspersky support they said it is incompatible software and I have to remove it, I don't know if they classifying Adguard as anti-virus or what cause they sent me this message,
Dear customer,

Thank you for the updates, we appreciate the cooperation that you given us.

In most cases, it is not possible to run two antivirus programs simultaneously on a single computer. Even though users may be tempted to try to implement what they might regard as ‘dual protection’, there are good reasons why trying to operate two different antivirus products will normally cause difficulties.

If there are two antivirus programs running on a single computer, they will each try to install interceptors into the same part of the system kernel. This is likely to result in conflicts between the antivirus monitors – probably with one of the following consequences:

One of the two antivirus programs will fail to intercept system events.
Each antivirus program’s attempts to install parallel interceptors will cause the entire computer system to crash.

Reactions: Protomartyr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.