Status
Not open for further replies.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
yea, it's worth switching from KFA to KSC free(y). but if you are happy with kfa & don't have any intention to fiddle with your security product then stick with kfa.
I went ahead and switched to KSC and I'm glad I did. I didn't realise just how configurable it is, very impressive for a free av. For now I've only changed one or two settings, including increasing file antivirus heuristics from light to medium scan, but I now think it is definitely worth switching to KSC, and it also has several other features that KFA doesn't have.

So, as far as pros and cons are concerned, KFA is excellent, but why stick with it when you have a clearly better free product made by the same company? In my view switching to KSC is a no brainer for all but the most computerphobic.

L

Local Host

I went ahead and switched to KSC and I'm glad I did. I didn't realise just how configurable it is, very impressive for a free av. For now I've only changed one or two settings, including increasing file antivirus heuristics from light to medium scan, but I now think it is definitely worth switching to KSC, and it also has several other features that KFA doesn't have.

So, as far as pros and cons are concerned, KFA is excellent, but why stick with it when you have a clearly better free product made by the same company? In my view switching to KSC is a no brainer for all but the most computerphobic.
Considering how buggy KSC is, I see no reason to switch from KFA.
All that talk and you only changed two settings of the bunch (KFA only doesn't allow custom configuration, still has presets).
You're pretty much BETA testing KSC considering the major issues it has, I cannot recommend KSC to anyone until it gets stable.

Last edited:

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
All that talk and you only changed two settings of the bunch (KFA only doesn't allow custom configuration, still has presets).
You're pretty much BETA testing KSC considering the major issues it has, I cannot recommend KSC to anyone until it gets stable.

A pointless and silly comment. All what talk? And my post was nearly a month ago shortly after I installed it. How do you know I haven't changed other settings since? And I've had no major issues, in fact, no issues at all.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I myself have only 1 issue and it's the same for KFA and KSC: ERR_SSL_VERSION_INTERFERENCE with Google Chrome.
That's temporarily solved by disabling TLS 1.3 in Chrome Flags.
So for me KSC is a little better than KFA.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
The only issue I face with KSC is its conflict with Windows Security Center showing its non existent Firewall turned off bug. Otherwise KSC is flawless and the best free AV right now. The particular issue exists for sometime and Kaspersky seems lazy to fix their software :emoji_sob:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I really need to keep up with the news around Kaspersky. They seem to be doing a lot recently. Last time I used KFA it felt light during normal use but scanning felt slow and when I dropped a lot of test sample files it only scanned a few and gave up the chase so from where I am standing, you can overwhelm KFA by simply downloading a lot of malware at once which is ridiculous.

Reactions: AtlBo and oldschool
L

Local Host

The only issue I face with KSC is its conflict with Windows Security Center showing its non existent Firewall turned off bug. Otherwise KSC is flawless and the best free AV right now. The particular issue exists for sometime and Kaspersky seems lazy to fix their software :emoji_sob:
We know, has been reported all over, but according to the guys above there's no problems whasoever.
I like Kaspersky but I'm not a fanboy, I like facts, and fact is KSC is still to buggy to be a suitable replacement for KFA.
Not to mention KSC adds nothing to the casual user, casual user shouldn't be messing with the settings in the first place, and the extra modules are unneeded for proactive defense.

Reactions: oldschool

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
We know, has been reported all over, but according to the guys above there's no problems whasoever..

Those guys may be using a 3rd party firewall otherwise their claim is an obvious lie :ROFLMAO:

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
The biggest problem with Kaspersky is the biggest problem with anything from Russia. You need to trust Russians and as someone that has had business dealings over there, that trust is incredibly misplaced. Russia is largely a gangster run land of lawlessness where everything is for sale for the right influence or highest bidder, and where most people will use whatever they have over someone against someone. The most common business model in Russia is not 'Customer first or Customer always right' but rather 'As a customer you should be thanking us for providing this, we owe you nothing.'. 10 years of business dealings over there and this is almost always how it is..

As such, I find it incredibly misplaced to trust something as intimate as an antivirus product coming from such a place. As much as I love some of their software I have found it incredibly unwise to install anything 'Russian' on any of my most important assets. I have a cut story where we started to use Yandex Browser, and within 3 weeks all of my sons gaming accounts became compromised or attempted to be compromised. Steam, Origin, etc. Once Yandex was exorcised from our systems and passwords were changed the problems resolved. I'm not a believer of random coincidences with that much correlating data. Especially since every one of the compromised accounts was traced back to mother Russia.

So regardless of how good their stuff can be (and it can be really good). You should consider if that trust is misplaced with your most sensitive things. Regardless of how untrusting people are of US corporations, almost everyone trusts Russian ones far less.

You think US, China not ?? Which country is otherwise ? May be weak but lovely Bhutan...

Reactions: stefanos
L

Local Host

The biggest problem with Kaspersky is the biggest problem with anything from Russia. You need to trust Russians and as someone that has had business dealings over there, that trust is incredibly misplaced. Russia is largely a gangster run land of lawlessness where everything is for sale for the right influence or highest bidder, and where most people will use whatever they have over someone against someone. The most common business model in Russia is not 'Customer first or Customer always right' but rather 'As a customer you should be thanking us for providing this, we owe you nothing.'. 10 years of business dealings over there and this is almost always how it is..

As such, I find it incredibly misplaced to trust something as intimate as an antivirus product coming from such a place. As much as I love some of their software I have found it incredibly unwise to install anything 'Russian' on any of my most important assets. I have a cut story where we started to use Yandex Browser, and within 3 weeks all of my sons gaming accounts became compromised or attempted to be compromised. Steam, Origin, etc. Once Yandex was exorcised from our systems and passwords were changed the problems resolved. I'm not a believer of random coincidences with that much correlating data. Especially since every one of the compromised accounts was traced back to mother Russia.

So regardless of how good their stuff can be (and it can be really good). You should consider if that trust is misplaced with your most sensitive things. Regardless of how untrusting people are of US corporations, almost everyone trusts Russian ones far less.
Those scare campaigns only work on paranoid and misinformed people (and mostly entitled USA citizens), I trust Russia way more than I trust America, and I sure as hell trust Kaspersky over any AV company from US and China.

I'll keep recommending and using Kaspersky until people convert words into proof, which so far is null.

People who talk like this have no idea of the implications companies like Kaspersky would have, if they harvested data for Russia in the EU (they wouldn't be allowed to operate on EU in the first place). Not to mention Russia would be thrown into a tight spot.

EU has privacy laws, any information from EU citizens must remain in EU servers (never abroad), you cannot gather any information without consent and details of what you gathering.

Any attempt to compromise the EU digitally will be seen as an act of war.

So according to ForgottenSeer 58943:
  • Russia is whiling to go to war, to gather useless EU Citizen data;
  • Kaspersky is whiling to lose +25% of their income, EU market and brand, for that same data.
Exactly, ridiculous.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
We know, has been reported all over, but according to the guys above there's no problems whasoever.
I like Kaspersky but I'm not a fanboy, I like facts, and fact is KSC is still to buggy to be a suitable replacement for KFA.
Not to mention KSC adds nothing to the casual user, casual user shouldn't be messing with the settings in the first place, and the extra modules are unneeded for proactive defense.
Your experience with KSC is your opinon but never a fact, you need to consider that for some user KSC runs well without major issues ;)

L

Local Host

Your experience with KSC is your opinon but never a fact, you need to consider that for some user KSC runs well without major issues ;)
That's where you wrong as it's not my experience, but the experience of the majorly as reported all over the web.
The symptoms all the same, Kaspersky Firewall is bugged in KSC (you shouldn't even have access to it, and it messing with Windows Security Center).

There are also other bugs which I would have to go look to mention here, but a quick look at Kaspersky Forums or even MalwareTips will help you find them.

I'll have no problem recommending KSC, when Kaspersky makes it stable on Windows 10.

Just because it works for 1 (which I highly doubt), doesn't mean it's not problematic for the other 9, there are to many reports and all complains about the same.

We shouldn't be fanboys and blindly recommend products while ignoring it's flaws, specially when talking of security.

Reactions: Kuttz and oldschool
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.