loveboy_lion Config

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
if you need an HIPS you can try Malware Defender

Thanks for the suggestion But I suppose malware defender works only on windows 32bit and mine is 64bit

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
EDIT
Added Zemana Antilogger (Did Not want to waste the licence and new version is lighter than before)
Added NoVirusThanks ExeRadar free (will see how the pro version does in vmware till then will use free version on my host)

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Pretty interesting combo, never seen it before I hope it does well

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
MRF71 said:
Pretty interesting combo, never seen it before I hope it does well
Thanks but just trying some new combos which are light and provide good security without much interaction

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
EDIT
Removed NoVirusThanks EXERadar (had constant CPU and memory spikes memory usage was 60-70mb on my system which i suppose is a way high for a hips)

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Does anyone know if Zonealarm antivirus really uses 300Mb of ram coz when i had only firewall installed it was only 20mb and as soon as i installed the antivirus it went upto 300mb and is constantly sitting there even when idle , Gamemode i tried full scan but still it had no effect restarted a few times but no effect the memory wont lower

Now the question lies is does it stores its database just like ESET in the RAM or is it a memory leak
I know zone alarm uses kaspersky engine and database but 300mb is way too high

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
abhi95sinha said:
Do share your experience with Norton AV

Norton is good in detection but only when you turn off smart definitions since turning it off downloads the whole norton database of both old and new viruses

2) Norton is light on system (memory and ram usage is quite low)
3) First full scan may take some time (but later scans are fast due to white-listing of files i suppose)
4) Good product which can protect at default settings
5) initial updates are huge so be sure to have a good internet connection
5) when used with Norton DNS can provide a good web protection
6) Basically a product to install and forget
7) If used with a good firewall may increase protection (not tried norton internet security so dont know how norton firewall works)

P

Plexx

loveboy: EAM suits your gaming needs standards? Also is the new engine already incorporated on V7 or not? Read somewhere that there is still Ikarus files on the folder (don't quote me on that as I might have misunderstood).

Would be interesting to simply put Emsisoft engine to the test.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
@ biozfear

I would not recommend EAM 7 beta for gaming at the moment since had a lot of loss of frames per second when it was installed (default settings / on execution)

with norton the loss of frames per second is so less that you can even consider it as none (default settings)

I am never a fan of norton or never liked it but i suppose when i tested it out with games it was amazing you could say a bit better than ESET and for that reason alone i may like it even if it is not not so good in detection at default settings (Turning off smart definition can let you download the whole database which is really huge almost 300mb)

About EAM v7 i couldnt find Ikarus files (not sure if i missed them) but the new engine gave me a lot of false positive due to their new inhouse engine and the bitdefender engine seems to be fine i think they have fine tuned their behavior blocker has well (since it gives a lot more alerts than v6) but the memory and Ram usage is quite low but it does uses 150mb of ram at pc startup and stays there for almost 5 mins then lowers to 5-10mb it does slow down the system a bit at default settings but considering the beta it is really worth a wait till final release

EDIT
Removed EAM v7 beta

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Stranger said:
I cant see any firewall description.
Do you use windows default?

Firewall at the moment is windows default firewall since i am behind 3 routers and having some issues with other firewalls at moment due to this

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
@ biofear
I am not sure if you have pagefile enabled or disabled but if you have sufficient amount of RAM disabling Pagefile may increase system responsiveness and gaming experience and also have less read and write operation on hard disk

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks for the info, I didn't realise that. I switched off Smart.Defs and it downloaded 160MB more definitions.

Have you activated your Norton product?

loveboy_lion said:
Norton is good in detection but only when you turn off smart definitions since turning it off downloads the whole norton database of both old and new viruses

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
yes i have activated my norton av which i got through facebook giveaway for 6 months i had the key in my norton account so used it and it activated fine still 135 days remaining

The only thing i noticed that bugs me about norton is that while quarantine and removal of files takes a lot of time as compared to others when testing malware packs and it turns on UAC after scanning which really bugs me (but is good for normal users) other than that i couldnt find any issues with norton

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Edit
Removed Norton Antivirus 2012
Norton seems to be light and improved but due to some unknown reasons some of my games kept on crashing with norton even when disabled and in silent mode even tried excluding the games but no success so had to remove norton
After removing norton games are working fine again

Added ESET Nod 32 v5

P

Plexx

loveboy, we are stuck to ESET mainly due to our gaming needs. I had switched temporary to CAV with D+. Only one issue at boot(issue with intel turbo boost). While having CAV on stateful noticed FPS dropped a bit on certain times (can display FPS in real time in AION). Went to Comodo site to check and there was a new release of signatures.

Tried again later on the day but this time switched gaming mode. no loss of FPS.

Might also work for you mate.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.