loveboy_lion Config

P

Plexx

So they have improved their firewall in comparison with Version 5.

Good to know.

If I am not asking too much, could you give a detailed breakdown of your ESET settings?

I could perhaps use it for my settings as well since we are both gamers!

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
I am not playing any online Games right now due to mobile internet but i have an offline game which example i have given below hope it helps

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
EDIT
Removed
ESET AV, Kingsoft AV, Comodo FW

Added
Avast Internet Security (Custom Settings)

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
EDIT
Removed Immunet Plus and ADDED Immunet Free

the plus version causes too much slow downs when installed with other antivirus and should more likely be installed as a standalone antivirus

now about immunet plus uses [bitdefender+clamav+2cloud engine(ethos+spero)] and is a full fledged av
immunet free uses [clamav+2cloud engine(ethos+spero)] and is more like a companion antivirus

D

Deleted member 178

loveboy_lion said:
immunet free uses [clamav+2cloud engine(ethos+spero)] and is more like a companion antivirus

So you must disable clamAV to avoid conflicts (anyway ClamAV is useless)

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
EDIT
REMOVED AVAST internet security and immunet free

ADDED Kaspersky Internet Security 2013

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
tapoo said:
please share your experience with kaspersky IS 2013.....
KIS 2013 is definitely not one of the lightest av i ever tested or used at default settings
1) Combined Ram usage in total 4 processes [2 processes of avp.exe*32 and (klwtblfs.exe*32 and klwtbws.exe*32 only run when web browser is running)] is between 30-100 megs most of the time with 0-5% CPU usage when idle
2) Scans are fast but scanning compressed files such as ISO , ZIP ,etc causes slowdowns
3) first time launching of applications is slow (for eg web-browsers , foxit reader , etc)
4) system start-up slows down with kaspersky (Depends on how much applications are set to launch on start-up as well since it tends to scan at start-up)
5) Definitely not for systems with low RAM
6) GOOD web blocker and Ad-blocker(disabled by default)
7) Advanced disinfection technology is definitely a plus (scans system files again and needs reboot)

Since it has "rootkit scan" and "idle scan" enabled by default it seems continuously scanning in the background which leads to CPU and Memory spikes to about 150+ mbs at times (so i have disabled it to gain performance)

Suggestions to Increase Performance
You can increase your performance a bit by disabling some of its components from the "Settings" if you don't need them (i have them disabled)
1) Mail Antivirus
2) IM Antivirus
3) Antispam

Suggestions to Increase Protection
You can increase the Detection by enabling everything in "Threat and Exclusions" Settings
You can also enable "encrypted connection scanning" from "Network" Settings if you want extra protection from web
You can Also Enable "Anti Banner" from settings (works like ad-blocker and also has settings for heuristics)

I would recommend to install kaspersky since the default settings are chosen wisely and its more like install and forget but only if your system can handle it since it may slow down your system otherwise

P

Plexx

Could I ask if you could:
Enable Mail AV, IM AV and AntiSpam, let it run for 10 mins on idle and screenshot all processes of KIS.

Then disable as your suggestions to increase performance and do again the above test.

I am curious to see.

Also, as a gamer, would you recommend such solution?

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
I have posted both the screen shots of Default settings as well as the one with (mail, antispam and IM shield disabled) and both were left running for 15 mins with only utorrent running in background and both were given a fair computer restart after the applied settings i guess the average difference between both the settings when left idle is 15 megs which may not be more for a high config PC but a PC with low Config will i suppose benefit if the above shields are not required by the user and disabled

I have yet to test Kaspersky against Games will let you know as soon as i test it against some games with KIS running at Default Settings
Thanks

Note
RAM and CPU in Kaspersky still fluctuates randomly when any applications is used or even when using any browser for web surfing
the process klwtblfs.exe*32 and klwtbws.exe*32 only run when any web browser is running

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Geez, it's better for performance to have them disabled. Do you use any of the Mail, IM and Antispam settings?

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
McLovin said:
Geez, it's better for performance to have them disabled. Do you use any of the Mail, IM and Antispam settings?

No I don't use any of those so i have them disabled but those who do should keep them enabled unless they really know what they are doing or want to give an open invitation for spams etc

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
EDIT
Removed Kaspersky Internet security 2013 ( a good protection to be safe on default settings but too heavy for my taste since it has some frame drops in online gaming and offline gaming lags a bit as well even in Game mode and kaspersky can be a system Hog most of the times when surfing , using applications etc )

Added Emsisoft Internet Security Pack 7 Beta

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
EDIT:
Removed
Online armor firewall ( had incompatibility with one of my every day software )
Definitely loved online armor (better than Comodo in some points if you can afford it)

Added
Zone Alarm Firewall (No incompatibility with my software as online armor everything is working perfectly even on Max Settings)
Feels quite simple (seems like i am using windows firewall on steroids)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.