Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@oldschool, I find it easier to manage Edge through policy (using regedit) a lot of the consumer oriented BS can be turned of using Edge Policies (link).

Microsoft has the nasty habit of resetting settings to default after updates. When you don't like the MS bloat you will be harassed again and again (because most are on in default settings). It takes some time to learn the policies, but reading these comments on MT, it is worth the hassle (because Microsoft takes corporate users more serious, they respect the Edge policy settings and leave them untouched).

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Version 115.0.1901.183: July 21, 2023
Fixed various bugs and performance issues for Stable release.

Stable channel security updates are listed here.

Feature update​

• Microsoft Edge management service. Microsoft Edge management service is an area in the Microsoft 365 admin center where admins can manage the Microsoft Edge browser. It's a simple and easy-to-manage experience. Admins are able to configure all Microsoft Edge browser policies for their organization in a configuration profile and set-up the browser to use these settings. For more information, see Microsoft Edge management service. Note: We'll start rolling out this experience on July 20 and expect to finish the rollout by next week.

Policy updates​

New policies​

Additional policy changes​

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I got weird and random browser close downs with Edge, so I decided to switch back to Chrome. When I first used Edge it started a bit faster than Chrome. Sadly Microsoft decided to add all kinds of features which made Edge starting slower. When Microsoft decided to cheat and did not let us remove Edge it also added the preloading option (and prerendering for new tab). This gave Edge again a faster starting advantage over Chrome.

Because Edge kept on adding stuff and annoyingly reset some settings after updates to force people using their shopping assistance and other BS, I noticed that it was only a tiny bit faster (cold start of Chrome is nearly as fast as hot start of Edge). Latest annoyances were the last straw, so I switched to Chrome. When I first clicked on settings it struck how many more options Edge offers. :sick:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
As far as I know the shopping assistant and other annoyances can be switched off.
No settings were reset recently.
For me there is no need to go to Chrome.
With the latest developments like Topics and DRMs for web pages I absolutely don't want to use Chrome.
If those options become part of the other main chromium based browsers I think I will go back to Firefox.
For now I will keep using Edge.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

As far as I know the shopping assistant and other annoyances can be switched off.
With the latest developments like Topics and DRMs for web pages I absolutely don't want to use Chrome.
If those options become part of the other main chromium based browsers I think I will go back to Firefox.
By that time Windows10 will be EOL and when my desktop still works, I will probably be switching to a Linux distro with Firefox. (already using Firefox on my Android phone and tablet)

I got weird random browser closes with Edge. That was to annoying to keep using Edge, that explains my sympathy for ...

Last edited by a moderator:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I enabled desktop notification for Outlook but for some reason it doesn't work on Edge. I never receive any email notifications. Only the test notification when you first enabled the feature works which indicates everything is fine, the feature is not broken.
I checked Chrome, Firefox and Brave and they show email notifications always. It's weird that Microsoft's own email provider Outlook's notification is not working on their own browser, Edge :unsure: It's also not new. It hasn't worked for me for a long time. I enabled the feature again a few days ago and remembered that it didn't work before also.
MS have an outlook extension, I guess I can install that, but I would like to avoid that. I already use one for my Gmails which are my priority emails.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
It can be tuned off. To be fair with it, it actually saved me US$6 once :)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Has anyone been seeing this more than usual lately on Edge? It showed the last two times Edge received an update. I didn't bother me much since it wasn't shown anymore but just right now randomly it showed me this again. "Show feature and workflow recommendations" was already disabled in flags.
1.png

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Has anyone been seeing this more than usual lately on Edge? It showed the last two times Edge received an update. I didn't bother me much since it wasn't shown anymore but just right now randomly it showed me this again. "Show feature and workflow recommendations" was already disabled in flags.
View attachment 277519
Yes, with the flag enabled I still get it after most or all updates. I'm not sure how often.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

View attachment 277519
Yes, I was using Edge as PDF reader only, popped up a few times and Edge search bar kept sticking after reading PDF' :-(

What happened? I was an enthusiastic Edge-fan, up to the level of promoting its advanced security features on MT-forum, but the ongoing adding bloatware annoyed the hell out of me, up to the point that I am now blocking Edge with SRP.

Did the UX-team of Edge became a fan of Snoop Dog's GGN show and decided to disjoint the user experience of Edge also? I always thought that Neder-wiet was strong stuff, but the Microsoft Seatle-weed must be mind blowing.

Last edited by a moderator:

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Yes, I was using Edge as PDF reader only, popped up a few times and Edge search bar kept sticking after reading PDF' :-(

What happened? I was an enthusiastic Edge-fan, up to the level of promoting its advanced security features on MT-forum, but the ongoing adding bloatware annoyed the hell out of me, up to the point that I am now blocking Edge with SRP.

Did the UX-team of Edge became a fan of Snoop Dog's GGN show and decided to disjoint the user experience of Edge also? I always thought that Neder-wiet was strong stuff, but the Microsoft Seatle-weed must be mind blowing.
Disjoint, you meant super-joint? Or blunt, spliff, whatever….

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.