Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Not signing in to any browser. Don't know exactly but after disabling allowing apps in background and efficiency mode plus disabling new tab pre-fetch and fast startup the autorun disappears.

More important after closing Edge it did NOT spawn an Edge process anymore to survive closing the browser in memory.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Nope. Efficiency Mode already turned off 🤔
Nothing works
Strange. I see Edge running after close with efficiency mode on and not after it's switched off. I have everything disabled except hardware acceleration.

Another strange thing here is my Automatic HTTPS switch is disabled and greyed out. So does Edge automatically enable HTTPS now? WTF?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Version 116.0.1938.69: August 31, 2023
Fixed various bugs and performance issues for Stable release.

Stable channel security updates are listed here.
Microsoft has released the latest Microsoft Edge Stable Channel (Version 116.0.1938.69) which incorporates the latest Security Updates of the Chromium project. For more information, see the Security Update Guide.
Microsoft Edge VersionDate ReleasedBased on Chromium Version
116.0.1938.698/31/2023116.0.5845.140/.141

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
F---king Edge has done it again. I had to fix "Your browser is managed by your organization" for the umpteenth time. The policy enabled "startup boost" while I had that setting disabled. And that sneaky little flyout "Personalize Edge" appears after every update. Warning! If you select "Got it!" you have just enabled Edge optional diagnostic data. Oh wait, there's also this annoyance "Turn off extensions developer mode". Why oh why?

Note: This post was copy/pasted to Edge "Feedback"!

Last edited:

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
F---king Edge has done it again. I had to fix "Your browser is managed by your organization" for the umpteenth time. The policy enabled "startup boost" while I had that setting disabled. And that sneaky little flyout "Personalize Edge" appears after every update. Warning! If you select "Got it!" you have just enabled Edge optional diagnostic data. Oh wait, there's also this annoyance "Turn off extensions developer mode". Why oh why?

I really want to just use edge and call it a day. But they are trying their hardest to make google look like good guys.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Version 116.0.1938.76: September 7, 2023
Fixed various bugs and performance issues for Stable release.

Microsoft has released the latest Microsoft Edge Stable Channel (Version 116.0.1938.76) which incorporates the latest Security Updates of the Chromium project. For more information, see the Security Update Guide.
What is the version information for this release?

Microsoft Edge VersionDate ReleasedBased on Chromium Version
116.0.1938.xxx9/7/2023116.0.5845.179/.180

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I really want to just use edge and call it a day. But they are trying their hardest to make google look like good guys.
They succeeded in my case. I hadn't used Chrome for years, but I'm back using it now and Google hasn't once tried to manipulate me into enabling some privacy-invasive setting or nagged me to use one of their other products.

Microsoft needs to do better.

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
They succeeded in my case. I hadn't used Chrome for years, but I'm back using it now and Google hasn't once tried to manipulate me into enabling some privacy-invasive setting or nagged me to use one of their other products.

Microsoft needs to do better.
Same for me.
I only use it at work now with the corporate profile.
The constant nagging has seriously turned me off.
At least Chrome does not bust your balls every week.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

Edge updates come with new settings and enable some existing ones. When I checked Edge on the kids' systems, I noticed it had re-enabled some settings. I was particularly upset about the new VPN setting because it could interfere with parental control. Luckily, the kids use Chrome as their primary browser, which is set as the default on their systems.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I dont get why edge on my sisters laptop is unusable , hanging the sites for year...she moved to google chrome

but on my devices, mobile and dekstop edge is super smooth.

Im once again back to edge , just cause some sites wont work on firefox and they do load on chromium browser, and now im asking myself why not to move vivaldi as its more close to firefox than edge is , but i dont want to give up with edge just cause it wont work on my sisters laptop 🤪

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Always the cheerful and optimistic writer. I just love this guy! :love:
ttps://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/microsoft-edge-personalized-web-got-it-annoyance.html
Microsoft Edge is starting to annoy me big time

Updated: August 30, 2023

My choice of the primary browser is super easy. Firefox. End of story. Has been and will be. It's the secondary browser story that has been somewhat tumultuous in me Internet history. First, it was Opera, then Chrome, and then Chrome slash Edge, depending on the scenario. For example, in Windows, I don't want to use Edge, on purpose, but in Linux, I've had no problem using it. Quite the opposite, I found it to be rather good and capable. Then, Google occasionally comes out with their wild ideas on what the Internet should be like, and I don't like many of those ideas, so the use of Microsoft Edge is sometimes an attempt to try to counter some of that.

But then, just as one thinks that everything is fine, Microsoft decides to undo the nice user experience they created early on. For example, the whole Discover slash chat sidebar nonsense. Take a browser and turn it into a hyperactive neurotic low-IQ product for the masses. If that's not enough, I recently discovered another big problem. Let me show you.
Misleading buttons

As you know, I always neuter my browser's "tracking" activity, as much as I can. That means I disable any sort of suggestions and prompts and whatnot. Keeps the usage more sane, if not quite sane. Seems like Edge does not approve of my actions, because occasionally, it throws an ugly popup like this one:

This popup is shown when you access a Web page, randomly, and it is shown in the top right corner, as if you'd clicked the three-dot menu yourself. There is no close or X button, no way to dismiss this crap. The X button is ONLY shown inside the Settings menu, as shown in the screenshot above. During your regular usage, you need to close the entire browser and open it, to get rid of it ... OR you need to interact with the buttons shown.

Now, let's talk about the prompt message and the buttons ...

It says: "With your permission, we'll collect and use ...". Now, the reason for this prompt is because I disabled this very option in the browser. But Microsoft seems to not like that, so it prompts me to reconsider, every now and then. Your choices are to click either Got it! or Learn more.

The latter takes you into the Settings, ergo disrupts your browsing and usage flow. You are FORCED to interact with the browser's shitty attempt to force you to give up your data, instead of you browsing like a normal human being. The former is worse. It TOGGLES the option on. So it's not an explicit YES. It's a vague indirect approval, which supposed stems from your "understanding" the message "With your permission" and that you're OK with it.

My permission? I did not give it. Where's the button that says "I give permission" or even a simple "Yes."

I am certain that an army of lawyers had looked at this text and the prompt and figured out that this is good enough to be legal and yet confuse the morons or at least wear out the more suspicious among the browser's users.

But there you go, quality and user experience combined!
Conclusion

This is another example of the "modern" Web, the scourge of intelligence and good experience. Thus, there be a question. What am I going to do? The choice is not easy. Whatever Chromium-based browser I pick for my secondary option, there will be a compromise. Google will not annoy or prompt you, they will simply introduce features into Chrome without even asking. But at least you will have a quieter workflow. I am not keen on some of the other options, because I find them too busy for my taste, and it seems that Edge is heading that way.

I could use Chromium, as is, and perhaps that will be my next option. But it seems I ought to stop using Edge altogether, and uninstall it from my Linux machines, the same way I do on my Windows boxen. But I'm sure I will find something new and fresh to annoy me soon, because that's what the Web is all about since around 2013 or so. Well, I should be grateful to have been there at the beginning, when the net was still somewhat chaotic and pristine, and it wasn't the lowest common denominator of corporate greed. Bye bye.

Cheers.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Version 116.0.1938.81: September 12, 2023
Fixed various bugs and performance issues for Stable and Extended Stable release.

Important
This update to Stable and Extended Stable contains a fix for CVE-2023-4863, which has been reported by the Chromium team as having an exploit in the wild. For more information, see the Security Update Guide.
Microsoft has a fix for CVE-2023-4863 to Microsoft Edge Stable and Extended Stable Channel (Version 116.0.1938.81), which has been reported by the Chromium team as having an exploit in the wild. For more information, see the Security Update Guide.
Microsoft Edge ChannelMicrosoft Edge VersionBased on Chromium VersionDate Released
Stable116.0.1938.81116.0.5845.187/.1889/12/2023
Extended Stable116.0.1938.81116.0.5845.187/.1889/12/2023

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft Edge 117 launches with Favorites Recovery and feature removals

Edge 117: removed features​

Microsoft announced the removal of several features from Microsoft Edge last month. You can check out the article for all the details on the removal, and potential alternatives. In Short, Microsoft has removed the "More Tools" utilities Math Solver, Picture Dictionary, Citations, Grammar Tools, and Kids Mode from Edge 117.

The company explains that it has done so to "improve end user experience and simplify the More tools menu".

Microsoft has also removed Web Select from Edge 117. The reasoning is the same, to improve end user experience. Web Select highlighted the closest edge of a web cell or table, which helped with capturing.

Edge 117: new features and changes​

Microsoft ships Edge 117 with a number of new features. Notable is the addition of the awkwardly named "Microsoft Edge Sync Favorites Recovery" feature.

Edge users who use synchronization in the browser may use it to restore any favorites that have been deleted or were lost in the last 14 days. The linked help page is not yet available, but Edge users may access the feature from the Edge favorites hub or by loading edge://favorites directly in the browser.

Edge users who don't want to use Sync may export Favorites regularly from the Favorites interface to save a local copy.

Edge's autofill capabilities are improved in the new browser version. Microsoft explains that the extension helps users "fill form fields faster on the web". Basically, what it does is suggest matches for input in form fields.

A user typing the beginning of an address might see it auto-completed by Edge, provided that it is known to the browser. Edge users may manage autofill under edge://settings/personalinfo in the browser.

The web browser is configured to save and fill basic info, and fill out info on sign-up forms by default. Edge users may configure or disable the functionality in the browser's Settings.

Microsoft Edge for Business is available on unmanaged BYOPC (bring your own PC) using Microsoft Intune Mobile Application Management. It requires Windows 11 version 22H2 or later and Microsoft Intune 2309 or higher. Additional information is available on the release notes page.

JohnR

Level 2
Feb 19, 2020
I assume both of these are recent additions, have now disabled.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-y0TPahC5IrljmXC9.png

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Edge/WebWidget was subtly renamed to Search. I guess there are too many tutorials how to disable it, after it invaded desktops.

OIP.jpg

reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Edge" /v "WebWidgetAllowed" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Edge" /v "SearchbarAllowed" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Edge" /v "WebWidgetIsEnabledOnStartup" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Edge" /v "SearchbarIsEnabledOnStartup" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

I do not have Games settings, probably disabled by this.

reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Edge" /v "AllowGamesMenu" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.