Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Version 117.0.2045.55: October 4, 2023
Fixed various bugs and performance issues.

Microsoft has released the latest Microsoft Edge Stable Channel (Version 117.0.2045.55) which incorporates the latest Security Updates of the Chromium project. For more information, see the Security Update Guide.

PS AV1 decoding on YT is not working for me, even though "edge://gpu/" says it's installed and enabled. Can anyone confirm that it's not just me?

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
YT working here.
I meant YT is using VP9 codec instead of AV1 codec, which was not the case before for supported videos (for videos with millions of views by default YT serves AV1 codec).
You can check codec by right clicking and selecting "stats for nerd" on YT video.

PS YouTube uses AV1 for supported videos on Chrome.

Edit: It's not a new issue AV1 support broken since couple of weeks now.

Last edited:

eXDj

Level 12
Verified
Aug 2, 2015
i can update to beta if i have stable version ?
i dont whant to log in again in many sites etc.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
My Edge is always running in the background even though I have "Startup boost" and "Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed" turned off. I was using Chrome mainly but checked out Edge often. I'm sure it's a recent thing. My guess is either since the last Edge update or after the windows update that was released a few days ago. This is very annoying as I was thinking about trying out Edge full-time.

Is anyone else having this issue?
Here it's running in the background:
t.jpgp.jpg

Inspired from one of @brambedkar59 's previous comments in his config thread, I asked ChatGPT and Google Bard to refine what I wrote above. ChatGPT sounds very robotic, a bit too professional I think but as a non-native English speaker, what Bard refined sounds more natural and gets a thumbs-up from me.
c.jpg
b.jpg

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
My Edge is always running in the background even though I have "Startup boost" and "Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed" turned off. I was using Chrome mainly but checked out Edge often. I'm sure it's a recent thing. My guess is either since the last Edge update or after the windows update that was released a few days ago. This is very annoying as I was thinking about trying out Edge full-time.

Is anyone else having this issue?
After I close Edge, I am not seeing any process in Task Manager related to Edge. Are you using Widgets/Bing Sidebar/Copilot rn, maybe one of those require Edge running?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
After I close Edge, I am not seeing any process in Task Manager related to Edge. Are you using Widgets/Bing Sidebar/Copilot rn, maybe one of those require Edge running?
I don't but after reading your comment I just checked whether the new Copilot was available on my device. Turns out it is available on taskbar settings even though it didn't automatically showed up on taskbar. After manually closing Edge via task manager when I opened copilot, Edge processes started running but didn't go away after closing Copilot. Now I'm pretty sure that this is the culprit. I should look for ways to permanently disable it as I don't need it.
Thank you 😃

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I don't but after reading your comment I just checked whether the new Copilot was available on my device. Turns out it is available on taskbar settings even though it didn't automatically showed up on taskbar. After manually closing Edge via task manager when I opened copilot, Edge processes started running but didn't go away after closing Copilot. Now I'm pretty sure that this is the culprit. I should look for ways to permanently disable it as I don't need it.
Thank you 😃
Read the post of @BryanB here about how to disable Copilot completely from Windows 11:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Thank you 😃
As soon as Copilot is available I will be disabling it via GPedit.
I don't need no goddamn AI. Get off of my lawn.

GIF by Giphy QA

Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
When removing them they are coming back.
Not something I want 😢
Anybody else seeing the same behavior ?
No, I am not seeing this behavior. I deleted site data for AccuWeather.com, restarted Edge & no more AccuWeather data to be seen.

Edit: Accuweather site data is back but I think I know why. NTP uses data from MSN, which uses Accuweather feeds.
Deleted another site data and it's not back yet.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
On my wife"s laptop Chrome is already on 118.0.5993.71 while Edge is still on 117.0.2045.60, can't Microsoft keep up the pace of Google? :unsure:
They also have to fix Edge specific issues, that takes more time?
Microsoft has released the latest Microsoft Edge Stable Channel (Version 118.0.2088.46) which incorporates the latest Security Updates of the Chromium project. For more information, see the Security Update Guide.

This update contains the following Microsoft Edge-specific updates:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Version 118.0.2088.46 released

No Release notes yet.
Release notes posted:

Version 118.0.2088.46: October 13, 2023​

Fixed various bugs and performance issues.

Stable channel security updates are listed here.

Announcement: Icon change in Edge sidebar​

In an upcoming update to Microsoft Edge, the Bing icon entry point in the Microsoft Edge sidebar will change to the new Copilot icon. No other changes in the experience are expected.

Feature updates​

• Microsoft Edge for Business Banner. Microsoft Edge for Business is a dedicated Microsoft Edge experience built for work that enables admins in organizations to give their users a productive and secure work browser across managed and unmanaged devices. The in-product Microsoft Edge for Business banner is being deprecated and will no longer be visible.
  • Find on page. Searching for a word or phrase on a webpage has become easier with the new smart find update to Find on page. For more information, see Find on page. Now when you search with Find on page, we suggest related matches and synonyms making it effortless to find what you're looking for, even if you misspell a word in your search query. When you search, simply select the suggested word to quickly locate the desired word or phrase on the page. Data is sent to Microsoft for processing. For more information, see Microsoft Edge's Privacy Whitepaper. Administrators can control the availability using the RelatedMatchesCloudServiceEnabled policy.
  • New SmartScreen policy. The ExemptSmartScreenDownloadWarnings policy lets administrators create a dictionary of file type extensions with a corresponding list of domains that are exempted from SmartScreen AppRep warnings. Files with file type extensions specified for domains identified by this policy are still subject to file type extension-based security warnings and mixed-content download warnings.
  • New Microsoft Edge Update policies. The MeteredUpdatesDefault and MeteredUpdates policies allows administrators to control the "Download Updates over metered connections" setting (edge://settings/help). The MeteredUpdatesDefault applies to all apps and MeteredUpdates applies to targeted apps. When a policy is configured to Allow, updates occur on a metered connection, such as cellular connections or others where data usage is controlled.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.