Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
So, how can I remove this annoying side panel button?

I am so tired of Edge's continuous new 'features' all the time.

View attachment 281581
*Bottom right site
I have this in Chrome but not in Edge. Maybe because I didn't disable Edge Copilot.
1708072064821.png

razorfancy

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
I personally dont get why Edge gets so much hate, in my opinion its a great Chromium based browser that has a great pdf viewer and very nice security features like the "Enhance your security on the web" option.
Does it have annoying features? Yes but I am able to disable those features so it doesnt bother me, for example I dont like the AI stuff or the sidebar feature so I disable those.

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I personally dont get why Edge gets so much hate, in my opinion its a great Chromium based browser that has a great pdf viewer and very nice security features like the "Enhance your security on the web" option.
Does it have annoying features? Yes but I am able to disable those features so it doesnt bother me, for example I dont like the AI stuff or the sidebar feature so I disable those.
Not hate, just personal preferences :)

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
There are a couple of things that annoy me about Edge, the Managed By Organization which happens after some updates. Copilot and Bing search. I guess I'm old fashioned and can find things a lot easier with other search engines and I don't need to chat to an AI to find something out. Otherwise it's pretty good and fast as it's OS integrated. I prefer the more privacy focused browsers but Edge is a decent Chromium alternative but to each their own :)

razorfancy

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
There are a couple of things that annoy me about Edge, the Managed By Organization which happens after some updates. Copilot and Bing search. I guess I'm old fashioned and can find things a lot easier with other search engines and I don't need to chat to an AI to find something out. Otherwise it's pretty good and fast as it's OS integrated. I prefer the more privacy focused browsers but Edge is a decent Chromium alternative but to each their own :)
You dont need to use Copilot/AI stuff or Bing Search because I dont use those either, I disable all the Copilot/AI stuff and change my search engine to DuckDuckGo.

The Managed by Organization only appears if you use Edge registry/group policies, for example I get that because I am using Edge policy as a workaround to fix a bug I am getting:

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
You dont need to use Copilot/AI stuff or Bing Search because I dont use those either, I disable all the Copilot/AI stuff and change my search engine to DuckDuckGo.

The Managed by Organization only appears if you use Edge registry/group policies, for example I get that because I am using Edge policy as a workaround to fix a bug I am getting:
Thanks. It got re-enabled after an update, I'll have to disable it again.

I get the Managed by these days as CyberLock adds policy for disabling start-up boost but I can just do that manually and use your workaround ;)

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Don't know if you can. It's part of Chromium/Chrome. I'll have to investigate later when I have time.

Edit: You may disable it in Brave.
Since when Chrome have a sidebar?
So, how can I remove this annoying side panel button?

I am so tired of Edge's continuous new 'features' all the time.

View attachment 281581
*Bottom right site
Edge team is trying really hard to make users switch to other browsers.

Why wait, there are Brave, Chrome, and FF to choose from which are less annoying to use, IMO.
Last few months were peaceful with Edge team not trying to pull something, until this happened.

Edit: Feedback sent

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Sidebar button can be removed by Admin CMD prompt

reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge" /v HubsSidebarEnabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
Does adding this reg show the "Managed by your organisation" in Edge?

Since Wednesday, August 2, 2023, Chrome 115.
Ahh yes, I didn't remember this because I don't use Chrome that much and the location of sidebar in Chrome is less annoying. In Edge it shifts the settings button but not in Chrome.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
for one thing, Edge updates too often change your settings without telling you. o_O

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Sure you're able to disable said features, but doing so results in the browser endlessly nagging and attempting to trick you into re-enabling them. It makes using the browser so incredibly frustrating when you're trying to do something and suddenly "Hey! You should use Bing as your search engine!"

Last edited:

razorfancy

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
Sure you're able to disable said features, but doing so results in the browser endlessly nagging and attempting to trick you into re-enabling them. It makes using the browser so incredibly frustrating when you're trying to do something and suddenly "Hey! You should use Bing as your search engine!"
I rarely get any popups from Edge asking me to switch back to Bing search and never got any popup asking me to use AI stuff(after I disable all AI stuff) but if you are having more poppus then you like you can try go to edge://flags/ and disable the option "Show feature and workflow recommendations".

I dont have the "Show feature and workflow recommendations" option disable and I still rarely get any popups but you can try disable it to see if it helps you see less popups.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I rarely get any popups from Edge asking me to switch back to Bing search and never got any popup asking me to use AI stuff(after I disable all AI stuff) but if you are having more poppus then you like you can try go to edge://flags/ and disable the option "Show feature and workflow recommendations".

I dont have the "Show feature and workflow recommendations" option disable and I still rarely get any popups but you can try disable it to see if it helps you see less popups.
Rarely getting pop-ups isn't acceptable in my eyes. Neither is the fact a user has to delve into developer options to stop Microsoft from asking to revert a setting or use a feature that the user went out of their way to disable.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.