Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I am so tired of Bing seach with their AI. The results are so different than Duck Duck or Google. Much less hits.:)
Have you tried Brave? You can disable their Leo AI, Summarizer and Discussions and yet you might find you like one or more of them. Their search results appear to have improved since I last used it long ago when it was new.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Yes I have tried Brave, and I actually like it. The only "bad thing" is their crypto intererst. Beside from that, I wouldn't mind using it. But lately I am buried in my new Macbook, and Safari beat all windows browsers IMO. But thanks for the heads up. :)

Reactions: simmerskool

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Yes I have tried Brave, and I actually like it. The only "bad thing" is their crypto intererst. Beside from that, I wouldn't mind using it. But lately I am buried in my new Macbook, and Safari beat all windows browsers IMO. But thanks for the heads up. :)
I meant Brave Search. Use it in any browser. Macs are sweet but above my pay grade.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ok found it in latest version 121.0.2277.128

1708132640886.png

Reactions: oldschool

Sammo

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2012
Don't know if you can. It's part of Chromium/Chrome. I'll have to investigate later when I have time.

Edit: You may disable it in Brave.
Just to add to this: I did some experimenting with .reg files (because someone might want to put the sidebar back at some point) and found I had to change two keys each time:

Disable:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge]
"HubsSidebarEnabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge]
"HubsSidebarEnabled"=dword:00000000

Enable:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge]
"HubsSidebarEnabled"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge]
"HubsSidebarEnabled"=-

Using guidance from Add or Remove Sidebar in Microsoft Edge Tutorial

Last edited by a moderator:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
@SeriousHoax or anyone - Do you know what the Edge profile is called now? I see a "Profile 1" folder, which may be it, but no "default" folder in appdata\local\microsoft like I do in Brave and Chrome.
For me, it is still in "Default". You probably created a new profile in Edge some time ago but don't remember it or did it by mistake. One of my portable Chrome browsers has "Profile 1" and I think I created a new profile and then deleted the new one as well as the old "Default" one also which prompted it to create another new profile folder named "Profile 1".

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
So, how can I remove this annoying side panel button?

I am so tired of Edge's continuous new 'features' all the time.

View attachment 281581
*Bottom right site
This solution is done via modified Edge shortcut:
Here is how to turn off the sidebar button in Microsoft Edge:
  1. Go to Settings > System and performance and toggle off Startup boost.
  2. Close Microsoft Edge.
  3. Right-click your Microsoft Edge shortcut on the desktop (create one if you do not have it) and click Properties. Tip: you can select a shortcut and press Alt + Enter to get to the Properties window faster.
  4. Click the Target field, place one space, and type --disable-features=msGenericIconSidebarButton
  5. Save the changes and launch the browser using your modified shortcut. The sidebar button should no longer be there.

toto_10

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
This solution is done via modified Edge shortcut:
Thanks @silversurfer!

An easy way to get rid of the annoying sidebar. Unfortunately, such solutions are necessary for Microsoft's unnecessary (bloatware-)features.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Version 122.0.2365.52: February 23, 2024
Fixed various bugs and performance issues.

Fixes​

• Resolved an issue where PDF text fields and drop downs values were being rendered twice for specific files when using the Microsoft Edge built-in PDF reader powered by Adobe Acrobat.
  • Resolved an issue where printing certain PDF files in landscape mode with the 'fit to printable area' option resulted in incorrect printing.

Dev Channel updates​

The following Dev channel updates preceded this Stable channel release. The following Dev notes provide detailed information about the changes in each release.

Feature updates​

• Moving Managed Site Indicator (Briefcase icon) into the lock icon in the address bar omnibox. The briefcase icon which signals that a page is managed via admin policies, has been moved into the lock icon in the address bar. End users can view details about the protections for a given page by clicking the lock icon in the address bar and then clicking the briefcase icon. For more information, see Understand Data loss Prevention in Microsoft Edge.
  • Deprecation of the image enhancement feature. To improve end user experience, the image enhancement feature is deprecated.
  • Configure recommended policies in the Microsoft Edge management service. The Microsoft Edge management service now provides admins with the ability to set recommended policies. This gives end users permission to override their admin's policy configuration.
  • Microsoft Edge has rebranded Web Capture to "Screenshot". Microsoft Edge changed the branding for Web Capture with an icon change and renamed the feature to "Screenshot". Users can easily use content from the web by taking a screenshot of a full page or a selected area. They can mark up the screenshot they took with a pen or touch later. Administrators can control availability using the WebCaptureEnabled policy. For more information, see Screenshot (microsoft.com).

Policy updates​

New policies​

Obsolete policies​

Additional policy changes​

• DiagnosticData - Send required and optional diagnostic data about browser usage. Supported on Windows since Stable 122 or later.
Most important change: you can now easily disable the side panel button (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.