Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft released Microsoft Edge 91 yesterday, and since then, users have been reporting constant nag screens, bugs, and problems using the new version of the web browser.
The most annoying issue that people are experiencing is a new Microsoft Edge nag screen continuously shown on startup asking users if they want to 'Use recommended browser settings.'

For some users, if they close the dialog or specify not to update the browser settings, the nag screen continues to show when they restart the browser.

Use recommended browser settings nag screen

Use recommended browser settings nag screen

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Can confirm this nonsense. Got it three times today through different profiles.
They should disable that ASAP, same like general Bing nagging, or user will switch.
I got it as well. And just like last time it changed some settings. And now no matter what I do it opens a new tab every time I start the browser. I am just about done with Edge. I really liked it for a while, but their updates are getting very annoying.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Same here as @SecurityNightmares @blackice. Edge has become really annoying lately. I also saw this popup more than once since updating to 91. They should stop forcing Bing on people. I was also having video playback lagging on Edge and the white flash that I mentioned above in a comment. No problem on Firefox and Chrome. I may even consider switching to Chrome permanently as my Chromium browser as it's smooth stable and annoyance free.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Same here as @SecurityNightmares @blackice. Edge has become really annoying lately. I also saw this popup more than once since updating to 91. They should stop forcing Bing on people. I was also having video playback lagging on Edge and the white flash that I mentioned above in a comment. No problem on Firefox and Chrome. I may even consider switching to Chrome permanently as my Chromium browser as it's smooth stable and annoyance free.
Nothing wrong with Chrome. I’ve considered going back. Google already knows everything about me anyway. We’ll see how Firefox 89 does when that hits.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I have received it 5? 6? times already

Send also today feedback about
Will this help?
For those who are constantly seen a "Use recommended browser settings" prompt in this new version, it can be disabled with this flag:
edge://flags/#edge-show-feature-recommendations
Thumbnail
Apparently it is enabled by default.
From the comments at this article:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.