Advice Request Need a Firewall WFC/TinyWall

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
Hi,

So i need a Software to control Windows Firewall, so i knew about WFC but it was just so annoying with it's notifications about windows services like that god damn svchost.exe
now i got TinyWall but i don't know how should i configure it cause i need something to be quiet and "only" notify me when a "Not Trusted" application wants to connect to the internet.
And so far TinyWall seems worst than WFC like i can't even find a manual, pdf or something that explain what these options do like i have a "unblock LAN Traffic" i mean what does it even mean? my LAN network is blocked ? did you blocked my lan network? why?

and options like normal protection well what this option do? and the other modes sounds just useless to me.
can anybody configure this TinyWall to something decent? or WFC? to something that be quiet, and JUST notify me about untrusted programs making connections?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
TinyWall doesn't have notification function so if that's what you're looking for then it's not for you. You better use WFC. You can set it to learning mode. Which automatically allows programs with digital signatures and asks your permission if something non digitally signed tries to connect to internet. This should be easier for you. But keep in mind that even some legit windows exe's are not digitally signed for example: smartscreen.exe. So, keep your eyes open.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
keep your eyes open.
this is exactly what i don't want to keep an eye on cause i'm a gamer and i do mostly comptetive games like i don't want to get a notification about cybersecurity when i'm in a match making in Dota2 or CSGO, like today TinyWall blocked one of services about Dota 2 game and well everything was F.
so about this TinyWall it doesn't show any notification right? it just block what it wants and that's it?

And the learning mode well it's name is scary already it needs a lot of attention right? alot of safe programs probably needs to get whitelisted

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Glasswire is my suggestion, but hits not free. I use the free version because KIS already have a firewall.

1601159340102.png

1601159381722.png

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
Depends rly what you want from a Firewall app...

Example like @Freud2004 suggested Glasswire is a great tool and extends the functionality of Windows Firewall nicely.

My issue with Glasswire was true per port diagnostic per app and it had issues with some UWP Apps. That is the reason why I use Netlimiter also (Payed) with InfoBar from Netlimiter. Great product btw with very detailed diagnostic and Statistic.

1601160142611.png

1601160233776.png

Best regards
Val.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I don't think tw is a very good choice for game users. This is not a software evaluation, but a problem of affinity with users.
Regarding the learning mode, both tw and WFC can change the setting from the log. After learning for a while, I used to look at the logs to determine communication settings.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
can anybody configure this TinyWall to something decent? to something that be quiet,
You only allow what you want, if you know how you want things set up. TW won't alert you to anything. That is part of the TW concept. You may allow via several different methods - via exe, process or window, the last of which is the nice feature. Say you are running a new browser, you open it and it doesn't connect, then you right-clik on TW icon and select "allow by window" and then simply click anywhere in the browser window to allow.

Running it on Normal protection is the usual way to run it.
and JUST notify me about untrusted programs making connections?
You might want Comodo FW. You can set it up exactly the way you want it. You may build your own list of Trusted Apps and then have it notify you only for Untrusted, IIRC. This is all from my memory as I haven't used it in 3+ years.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
You might want Comodo FW. You can set it up exactly the way you want it. You may build your own list of Trusted Apps and then have it notify you only for Untrusted, IIRC. This is all from my memory as I haven't used it in 3+ years.

I use ZoneAlarm free many years ago, I don't know if still is a good solution, maybe other member can say something about this.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Depends rly what you want from a Firewall app...

Example like @Freud2004 suggested Glasswire is a great tool and extends the functionality of Windows Firewall nicely.

My issue with Glasswire was true per port diagnostic per app and it had issues with some UWP Apps. That is the reason why I use Netlimiter also (Payed) with InfoBar from Netlimiter. Great product btw with very detailed diagnostic and Statistic.

View attachment 246666
View attachment 246667
Best regards
Val.
I really loved Netlimiter but on 3 different PC's it would give error and not run at startup somtimes. Well it would run but not start properly and you would not know it! So I gave up on it. This was after many updates and same issue.

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
The Thing is with Application Firewalls on PC Systems there is that issue that they start to protect when you login to windows. Some other Application Firewall can start when Windows Boot but that requires them to install a Service and/or a Protocol Driver.

Next thing is to what approach do you want the Firewall to take:
Default Deny = As the Name states It blocks all Traffic and only allows specific Traffic to pass
OR
Explicit Drop Rules = Known Malware / CVE / misc. - IP / Protocol / Ports that need to be blocked

As for my Infrastructure I have a Open Hardware Appliance with Pfsense (Open-Source) Running. So as stated above my concept is to use a Default Deny approach and only allow Traffic that I want from specific devices or network to run. Plus as a added bonus a Software Firewall for Application / Destination / Port analytics.

Like a Onion Multilayer approach for security / Segmentation - IoT - LAN - WiFi - Kids of course this will break the scope of this topic. But as a advice there are very cool posts here at MalwareTips that inspire on how to secure the home network and get a little help as well.

Sincerely
Val.

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
As all things in "IT" it all starts with Trust - For me BWMeter is a no go - Why is that? - The Parent Company "DeskSoft" does not appeal to me and looks like a hobby dev. site. (My Opinion)

I do not like how the Software is dependent on a Driver from another Developer -> Windows Packet Filter – NT Kernel Resources

Power to the Devs. at DeskSoft on BWMeter - Probably gona give it a try one day. Same thing goes for all other Products from all other Devs.

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Glasswire is my suggestion...
In which mode? There are only 2 where you could chose: "Ask to connect" and "Click to block". Afaik he would then have to go through the list and block stuff later on by hand with "Click to block". (That would defeat the purpose of a firewall for me).
Maybe use a security suite if you don't want to be interrupted with choices/popups?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.