Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
RE: pablozi's config

@NSG001: Thanks a lot. I just have added Fanboy's Tracking/Stats Blocking, Fanboy's Annoyances, Adversity and Antisocial lists into ABP and removed Ghostery.
@McLovin: All my sensitive data is once a week copied on external HDD, but I do not use any snapshot/imaging software.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

From ABP its not only from filters of advertisement but also Malware Protection filter. You can add it.

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

@jamescv7: since EAM has a nice feature called Surf Protection I don't think that adding one more subscription to ABP can really make a difference in security ;)
Correct me if I'm wrong.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Its likely an overkill so the current filters were fine, on some cases if you don't have an AV then you can harden it. :)

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

And another change in my security setup.
EAM + OA replaced with Sandboxie (paid version) and SpyShelter Firewall.
All internet facing apps are sandboxed - separate sandboxes for each app with lowered permissions in every sandbox.
UAC is set to maximum.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011

Config looks good. Pablozi whats the reason of dropping a full time AV? I see more and more people are shifting towrds Sandboxed style approach.

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011

Good move.
I am almost ready to do without AV also :)

D

Deleted member 178

If you have the free version of sandboxie , you dont go very far with it ^^

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011

umbrapolaris said:
Just awaiting CIS6 to see what 'sandboxing' it offers tho'.
Or I will buy a lifetime sandboxie license :biggrin:
Simples ;)

D

Deleted member 178

Paying for a product !!? are you kidding me ! ;)

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011

malbky said:
I see more and more people are shifting towrds Sandboxed style approach.
Thats because most people that come to security forums, sooner or later, realize that sandboxing works better than what we have been using forever, real time antiviruses.

My personal experience is solid proof that sandboxing works. On my end, last time that I got infected was before I started using Sandboxie three years ago. Before Sandboxie, I use to get infected all the time but that's ancient history for me now. A little bit of knowledge together with common sense and Sandboxie goes a long way.

Bo

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011

umbrapolaris said:
Sorry Umbra but I disagree. The Sandboxie free version is as solid as the paid version. If you are browsing or if you open, for example, your USB drive or a Word document sandboxed, the protection that you get on both versions is exactly the same.

The features that are added to the paid version makes sandboxie automatic, more comfortable for the user but again, the protection is "identical".

Bo

D

Deleted member 178

Bo, i meant when i want a real full sandboxing protection, with each of my internet-connected softs to be sandboxed in a separate box, i can't with the free version. It is the main reason why i removed it.

Having only one sandbox only for one soft (the Browser generally) may satisfy most of the people but not me.
You will say "you can buy it" but i dont like to buy a software especially when competitor can give it for free.

If you must choose between 2 cars :

1- one with a very strong and modulable seat-belt but the airbag is an option you must pay for.
2- one with an average seat-belt and airbag included in serie

i'm sure u will choose the second option. :D

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011

I fet what you say Bo. But for now I am not leaving a full time AV because most of the times I get a USB loaded with viruses. I cant see any slowdowns whci may force me to ditch AV's all together. For me only sandboxing seems like having a water tight raincoat to protect you from the rain but failing to have flu and cold medicines in case you catch one.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011

umbrapolaris said:
Bo, i meant when i want a real full sandboxing protection, with each of my internet-connected softs to be sandboxed in a separate box, i can't with the free version. It is the main reason why i removed it.
You can create and use as many sandboxes that you want in the free version, what you can not do is "use them at the same time". So, you can create sandboxes for different programs, you dont have to use only one sandbox for all programs.

So you can create sandboxes for all the programs that you want to run sandboxed and to make it easier, create shortcuts for those programs, place them in your taskbar or desktop so you wont need to right click the program/choose run sandboxed. It will make it a little easier.

In my opinion whats important is that the protection is the same and you can have the same level of isolation in either version.

Bo

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011

malbky said:
I fet what you say Bo. But for now I am not leaving a full time AV because most of the times I get a USB loaded with viruses. I cant see any slowdowns whci may force me to ditch AV's all together. For me only sandboxing seems like having a water tight raincoat to protect you from the rain but failing to have flu and cold medicines in case you catch one.
malbky, the perfect way of using Sandboxie is to use it along an antivirus, even Tzuk recommends that. On an earlier post you mentioned the word "shifting", I was going to say something about that but somehow I forgot.

To use SBIE, you dont have to stop using your antivirus, its not like one or the other. It took me 2 years for the thought of not using an antivirus to come into my mind and the decition to stop using an AV, I made it on the spot. No thinking was needed, no pondering about it. If you want to try SBIE, use it along your favorite AV.

About the USBs, I almost use none and only plug mine, nobody elses. I been out of school for decades, alright, so I dont use those things like you guys in school. If you have disabled autoruns, navigate to your USB drive, right click it and choose run sandboxed. After you view whatever you want to view, delete the sandbox. That way, your friends infected USBs wont infect your machine.

Bo

D

Deleted member 178

Bo, i wanted to say "in same time" (for my browser, p2p softs, etc...) , sorry if i was not clear enough :D

btw , i dont deny Sandboxie Free's efficiency , i used it for quite a long time and was satisfied, but it becomes limited to me now.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011

Umbra, if I felt like you, I would use it only for browsing, using a highly restricted sandbox for my everyday browser.....and yes, the "in same time" feature is a nice addition for the paid version. That alone makes it worth it getting a license.

If I was using the free version, I would not trade it for any "other" paid security program. I really mean what I am saying.

Bo

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011

I get what you are saying bo. I use AV+sandboxing. But completely ignoring AV can have consequences but your risk level is pretty low.

D

Deleted member 178

bo.elam said:
If I was using the free version, I would not trade it for any "other" paid security program. I really mean what I am saying.

I totally agree, all the softs i'm using are free (or at least i got them for free: gifts or giveaways), why paying for products, when you have free ones that equals or are even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.