Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
RE: pablozi's config

Still trying to find the most efficient and light setup, so next change has been made: the only security app running in realtime is DWPF with UAC set to max and Malware Domains subscription added to ABP.
I am trying to complete the setup without AV working in RT, beacause since a couple of years I haven't seen any infection on both of my laptops. Even more: I haven't seen any interaction from any AV that I have been using (except for pop up's with update info). Maybe it is my common sense, maybe I had luck, but I don't want to run any app that I don't need, so I decided to stop using AV's. DWPF plus scan with MBAM or HMP once a week or so is more than enough I think.

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011

Defensewall = Good Call, shame there is no 64bit flavor :)
Did u ever try out Bufferzone ?

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

No I haven't try BZ, but I've heard that it is a little bit heavy for the system.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011

No BufferZone is safe and light but in a way Defensewall and bufferzone serve the same purpose

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

If need be, you can "Unload" BZP from the System Tray and start it up again once needed.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011

pablozi said:
DWPF plus scan with MBAM or HMP once a week or so is more than enough I think.
You will be fine, DW is a very good product that keeps malware from infecting or making changes to your system but you have to understand that on DW isolation works differently than on Sandboxie.

With SBIE, all changes are isolated from the system, kept together and are gone when you delete your sandbox except what you decide to recover. On DW, all changes remain in your computer, they are untrusted if they came in via a untrusted application but they remain in your PC. Some of this files could be malicious and even though they don hurt your computer some users can not live with that and think they are infected while they are not.

If you can live with that, if you can live with the idea that maybe one day HMP or MBAM will detect 10 malicious files in your computer, then yes, you can use DW without a real time antivirus, otherwise, I recommend you use it along a real time antivirus.

Great program, its what I would be using if there was no Sandboxie.

Bo

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

Yes, I know how DWPF works but thanks anyway for advice ;)

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

Another ;) change: DWPF replaced with WRSA Essentials. Extreme ligthness. WRSA has no impact on system resources, web browsing speed or applications startup. I'm really impressed.

D

Deleted member 178

But it's protection is weak for the moment, i beta-tested it, and i will never run it as a standalone protection.

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

Our tests at safegroup.pl shows something different ;)

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

Yes. WRSA detection rate is around 80 - 90% by on-demand scan.
Those tests are made everyday on malware compilations that contains a lot of 0-day threats, so in my opinion WRSA isn't that bad as everyone think ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

A good detection rate due they made it from cloud to have on the spot updates.

D

Deleted member 178

pablozi said:
Yes. WRSA detection rate is around 80 - 90% by on-demand scan.
Those tests are made everyday on malware compilations that contains a lot of 0-day threats, so in my opinion WRSA isn't that bad as everyone think ;)

ok, i will install it to see if it changes from my tests i did before.

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

But don't gem me wrong - I do not want to make everyone a big fan of WRSA. I am just saing that for me it is OK ;)

D

Deleted member 178

Yes yes, but i still have my beta-tester license key, so i will retry it.

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

malbky said:
Pablozi can we get any news on its firewall's effectiveness?
I'll try to provide some more info asap.

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

Heh. You won't believe it. But yes. Another change :D
A friend of mine just gave me 180 days licence for NIS 2012, so I will use it.
I did also set Norton ConnectSafe DNS (A-Security) on my router, so I removed WOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.