Plexx's Configuration (2013 Edition) - N/A

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: biozfear's main config (updated 28/5/12)

The Gaming mode issue is just a matter of perfection to be honest. I have the icon hidden from naked eye.

One thing I did notice in SS compared to AV is the check for updates at system start up. Firewall is ok, nothing special but they should really change the default settings of hips to learning mode and not automatic. Hope new version has improvements in that area.

Will try to grab the Beta and have a look since I also have a backup image:)

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: biozfear's main config (updated 5/6/12)

I have now removed Real Time protection completely from my system.
Reason: Have a year of ESS and VIPRE IS, and got some free Av's. Will have to do a series of tests in Virtual enviroment. Until then, ill do the gaming in virtual enviroment as well to see system impact and detection and cleaning rate.

All this to minimize the programs use for more or less the same level of protection but with less layers.

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: biozfear's main config (updated 12/6/12)

Upon the combos thread, I was given some valuable feedback.
I have at the moment 5 combos running (1 of which is on another system and not on VM):
In VM:
Avast + Online Armor Free
CAV with D+ + Online Armor Free (OA HIPS Disabled)
Panda Cloud AV Beta (new version with IDS and Firewall)
ESET NOD32 version 5 + PrivateFirewall (for its Firewall and HIPS)

Laptop:
Avast + PrivateFirewall

Since I am testing out Usability, system performance, game system impact performance etc, I had to revert to use my Host as the gaming machine, therefore Installed temporarily the ESS I had still active.

Also on Toolbox removed Norton PE and replaced it with CCE.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

Give us some input about the tested combos. (im particularly interested by CAV +OA one ^^)

P

Plexx

Thread author

According to the settings you have provided via PM, umbra, CAV with OA (OA Program guard disabled) it is ok. Firewall seems steady. system impact on the other hand can sometimes be a bit high (from OA point of view). Anyway to reduce the usage?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

OAP on my system used before around 30+mb of Ram, i didn't find a way to reduce it.

When you disabled the Program Guard you right clicked on tray icon and select something like "disable HIPS" right?

I

illumination

Thread author

umbrapolaris said:
OAP on my system used before around 30+mb of Ram, i didn't find a way to reduce it.

When you disabled the Program Guard you right clicked on tray icon and select something like "disable HIPS" right?

When you right click on the firewall tray icon, it is "Deactivate HIPS Features".

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

yes this one. click on it. after a reboot all the HIPS components and some features are totally disabled. just left the Firewall.

P

Plexx

Thread author

umbrapolaris said:
yes this one. click on it. after a reboot all the HIPS components and some features are totally disabled. just left the Firewall.

My 2 games and OA don't get along. Even allowing connection still get disconnected within 5 to 10 mins.

Looks like I'll just have to skip a firewall. Funny enough Windows Firewall is fine.

That being said, looks like the combos are being narrowed down to a few components only.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

Biozfear said:
My 2 games and OA don't get along. Even allowing connection still get disconnected within 5 to 10 mins.
Looks like I'll just have to skip a firewall. Funny enough Windows Firewall is fine .

so use Tinywall Firewall or Windows Firewall Control (binisoft), they will give you more options on Windows Firewall.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Just make sure when using like Tinywall or WFC, configure on Windows Firewall advance settings first in order to avoid connection trouble.

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: Biozfear's main config (updated 16/6/12)

Once again I went back to basics:
No Real time protection until I find something I like (currently testing on snapshots of my host are some combos from another post (combos post) as well as on clean OS snapshots on an older machine to see performance etc)

Added Iobit Uninstaller since it is portable and wanted to give a test run.

To note: normal browsing etc is being done on my 2nd config since I have removed any real time protection, just in the rare case I get an infection, you never know. Although common sense is applied here.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

Biozfear said:

works very well, fast & efficient.

P

Plexx

Thread author

umbrapolaris said:
Biozfear said:

works very well, fast & efficient.

I still need to compare it with Revo.

P

Plexx

Thread author

And since the 16th of June, I have had no Real Time protection and On Demand scanning wasn't even used since I did not download anything that wasn't trusted.

Browsing was done as normal, no sanboxie or anything.

What have I done during this period? normal daily tasks, download some software, prepare for reviews, log into my online game (despite not doing anything in game since I was doing reviews, I was still logged in AFK).

Now today, I decided to install ESET NOD32 and do a full system scan with custom settings like I had before...

And the result..... see for yourself. One note: I am still without any protection (have removed ESET NOD32 after screenshot was taken) since I need to do my next review before I decide on the real time protection, so please, do not follow my configuration unless you know exactly what you are doing.

[attachment=1505]

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Joined the No AVG members. ;)

Once you get used to it, you will notice slow downs when you install AV software in the future. :D

Well done on a clean system.

Edit: Typo.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Well, I am afraid I will not notice much of a slow down with an AV installed since my games installed take a few GB etc etc. its still quite fast for an i7 quad :p

But yeah no AV for awhile and I have been ok which means I can think of a simpler config perhaps.

Of course I did have a backup plan: Image of OS ready to be restored if something bad happened.

I still need to play with tweaking windows 7 itself but I am also studying the tweaks in xdark edition of windows 7 and the extreme edition of windows 7 tweaks. Both OSes are already activated etc with slipstreamed updates and programs, but my interested is in the tweaks they did.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Forgot you had a much more powerful PC. I'm running on a Intel (Mobile) Core 2 Duo (P8400) 2.26Ghz with 3GB RAM.

W7 tweaks are interesting, I need to re-learn W8, slightly different.

P

Plexx

Thread author

I am staring at the xDark edition. On startup loads up some policies etc. Apart from having god mode on desktop by the length of the features, there seem to be TONs of tweaks....
Problem now is dig in and find whats applicable for me.

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: Biozfear's main config (updated 25/6/12)

-----
Edit: Another BSoD and this time it is not saving the memory dumps. I suspect there is something wrong with the image itself.

So I am removing the whole config and re-image from factory image and work from there. Will be installing software step by step and monitor its behaviour for days (perhaps 5 pieces of software each time).

Thank god I got more than one system at home!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.