Post your Speedtest.net and Pingtest.net results

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
IMG_2048.jpeg

I decided to upgrade my speed to the highest available from Virgin Media (the only full fibre provider where I live, all others are either not available or use BT OpenReach where the last mile hasn’t been upgraded). Now I have the Virgin Media Hub 5 router which also supports Wi-Fi 6 and uses modern Broadcom chips instead of Intel Puma in Hub 3. Results are not bad.
Unfortunately, my connection is still DOCSIS 3.1. Virgin has started trialling XGS-PON but it’s not yet available where I live. Community Fibre will be coming to my area soon with this sort of connection.

IMG_2049.png

Last edited:

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
15218867396.png

I changed operator after 1 year with Orange and the repeated price increases... (from 35 to 60€/month!! )

My new ISP (Free France) offers me 5Gb down and 700 upload (5gbps shared and 2.5Gbps dedicated bandwidth) for €29.99/month and €10 for unlimited 5G with the box :)

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
To say that A1 (my current ISP) is a fraud, is an understatement. Recently, they raised their prices for I don't know which time this year (probably, 4th or 5th). Now, they discontinued 1 Gb/s plan (which I'm using) and instead started offering 2 Gb/s plan with, you guessed it, even more increased price. The only other option is 300 Mb/s which is not enough for me. When asked what will happen with users that want 1 Gb/s plan and don't have a contract (a.k.a me), they don't have clear answer. Meanwhile, 2 Gb/s plan, of course, isn't available everywhere (including my place). So if I wanted to renew the contract, I'd be forced to sign 300 Mb/s internet even though I'm using the 1 Gb/s for a year, or more.

I'm waiting for the next bill. Luckily, family contracts are expiring on Telemach, in 12th month and it will be a perfect opportunity to get everything from them. And, since it's Christmas time, they have special offers with gifts; I hope they'll offer PS5 or something like they did years ago. 😄

Meanwhile, my TP-Link router died and I'm in process of claiming the warranty. I'm now using crappy A1's Huawei router which can't get speeds higher than 500 Mb/s. 😥

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

:) snail speed over here with Ziggo bottom line contract (100 down 30 up) compared to most members, but ...
Speedtest results are impressive. First floor WIFI through at least two concrete walls of 17 cm thick !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Left via Ziggo right BulletVPN. T

1694338202152.png

Seriously when you are not a gamer a 25Mbps down and 5up per simultaneous device is more than sufficient. Fun Facts: streaming 60fps with 1K only requires 10Mbps, 4K at 30fps 35Mbps. The average webpage size for desktop is only 2.5 Mb, meaning most people pay way to much :) .With our 100Mbps down I have enough bandwith.

Having a 1 or 2 Gbs glasfibre connection while you only look 1K streaming services on it, is like renting a railway for superfast bullet trains while the only trains driving over it are previous 18th century steam trains. Let say tou have three 4K TV's playing simultaneously and 1 gamer and all the people watching television also use their smart phone, and are watching streaming media, then you will need 4x35+1x50+ 4x10 = then you will max out at 200 Mbs bandwith capacity :ROFLMAO: so you will use your bandwith for 20% max (1 Gbs) or 10%(2Gbs) internet speed.

1694351345766.png

In 95% of the cases the weak point in the chain is the router. Better invest in a good router.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
:) snail speed over here with Ziggo bottom line contract (100 down 30 up) compared to most members, but ...
Speedtest results are impressive. First floor WIFI through at least two concrete walls of 17 cm thick !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Left via Ziggo right BulletVPN. T

View attachment 278528

Seriously when you are not a gamer a 25Mbps down and 5up per simultaneous device is more than sufficient. Fun Facts: streaming 60fps with 1K only requires 10Mbps, 4K at 30fps 35Mbps. The average webpage size for desktop is only 2.5 Mb, meaning most people pay way to much :) .With our 100Mbps down I have enough bandwith.

Having a 1 or 2 Gbs glasfibre connection while you only look 1K streaming services on it, is like renting a railway for superfast bullet trains while the only trains driving over it are previous 18th century steam trains. Let say tou have three 4K TV's playing simultaneously and 1 gamer and all the people watching television also use their smart phone, and are watching streaming media, then you will need 4x35+1x50+ 4x10 = then you will max out at 200 Mbs bandwith capacity :ROFLMAO: so you will use your bandwith for 20% max (1 Gbs) or 10%(2Gbs) internet speed.

View attachment 278532

In 95% of the cases the weak point in the chain is the router. Better invest in a good router.

In France, you are required to use your operator's router if you want to access TV services. Only two operators, OVH Fibre and Milkywan (which are not widely known but very good), don't impose this requirement. The four major operators in France (Orange, SFR, Bouygues, Free) don't give you a choice.

Personally, I have a Wi-Fi 6 router, and my box is in bridge mode. That compensates for it.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
In France, you are required to use your operator's router if you want to access TV services. Only two operators, OVH Fibre and Milkywan (which are not widely known but very good), don't impose this requirement. The four major operators in France (Orange, SFR, Bouygues, Free) don't give you a choice.

Personally, I have a Wi-Fi 6 router, and my box is in bridge mode. That compensates for it.
It's weird situation here.

(national ISP) uses ONT+router configuration and allows you to completely ditch their router and use your own. Just connect it to the ONT and adjust the settings in your router. Their IPTV service will also work if you configure it properly.
(which I'm using) uses all-in-one Huawei ONT & router solution; doesn't allow you to replace their router with your own. You can connect it to their and use it that way (to avoid double NAT—using DMZ function). That's regarding fiber; they also offer services via coaxial cable and if you're using such, you can get bridge mode and use your own router.
Telemach.png (the newest player) uses all-in-one Nokia ONT & router; initially didn't offer ability to use your own router, but now will gladly put their Nokia router to the bridge if you want to use your own. Their IPTV service, EON, uses traditional HTTP(S) streaming for television if I'm not mistaken so you just plug their EON Smart Box to the any LAN port on your router and it will work normally.

Other than those three, we don't have any other ISP which covers the entire country. Maybe Iskon, but it's really owned by the HT, offers cheaper internet from them with speeds up to 200 Mb/s. No other major player here. There are local ISP's, but they either don't offer fiber or are available in just a few neighborhoods.

Last edited:

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Here in the UK it’s an even more weird situation.

There is already a network built, called BT (British Telecom) OpenReach. There is OpenReach socket in every house. Majority of providers just take over the so called “phone line”, they send you a router with a short ethernet cable and that’s it. None of them lets you plug your own router directly, you always have to use modem mode. Regardless who you will go for, it is the same service quality and speed, just the price is different.

Majority of BT OpenReach is not upgraded to full fibre and speeds are highly unimpressive in many places — like 50MBps. The upgrade is slow because it involves a lot of permissions (you know, King owns the land…). Upgrading the last mile is even more complicated, a lot of people rent, don’t own and they don’t want holes drilled in the walls. Many don’t even know that upgrade should be performed and don’t care about it.

Virgin Media has their own network but it’s similar thing, you can’t change the DNS for example and you gotta use modem mode. Virgin still uses coax cables, splitters and active amplifiers. Virgin speeds are great on download but on upload not so much.
They found a way to upgrade their network to fibre without building new cabinets.

Now new providers such as Community Fibre started to pick up a lot of business and these offer incredible speeds for less money and you can use any routers (like it is in Eastern European countries such as Bulgaria and Romania since 2007-2008). They use Fibre-to-premises solutions and they build the network above ground which is way easier with less drama. In few years nobody will use BT OpenReach, everyone will switch to these.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
It's weird situation here.

(national ISP) uses ONT+router configuration and allows you to completely ditch their router and use your own. Just connect it to the ONT and adjust the settings in your router. Their IPTV service will also work if you configure it properly.
(which I'm using) uses all-in-one Huawei ONT & router solution; doesn't allow you to replace their router with your own. You can connect it to their and use it that way (to avoid double NAT—using DMZ function). That's regarding fiber; they also offer services via coaxial cable and if you're using such, you can get bridge mode and use your own router.
View attachment 278541 (the newest player) uses all-in-one Nokia ONT & router; initially didn't offer ability to use your own router, but now will gladly put their Nokia router to the bridge if you want to use your own. Their IPTV service, EON, uses traditional HTTP(S) streaming for television if I'm not mistaken so you just plug their EON Smart Box to the any LAN port on your router and it will work normally.

Other than those three, we don't have any other ISP which covers the entire country. Maybe Iskon, but it's really owned by the HT, offers cheaper internet from them with speeds up to 200 Mb/s. No other major player here. There are local ISP's, but they either don't offer fiber or are available in just a few neighborhoods.

In France, ISPs use an external ONT and PPPoE identifiers for network identification.
But with new offers, ONTs are integrated into the box, so it's impossible...

Only the 2 ISPs I mentioned provide connection identifiers and external ONTs for fiber optics.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
In network training, I studied the various Internet connections and connection protocols ;) (PPPoA, PPPoE, TCP/IP etc).
(with a diploma that I obtained)
Yeah, I don’t think any computing course doesn’t somehow touch base on the networking subject. Btw is France shutting down the 3G by the end of next year as well? And do you guys have mobile signal in the Metro (underground transport, not sure how exactly you call it, we call it Tube)?

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Yeah, I don’t think any computing course doesn’t somehow touch base on the networking subject. Btw is France shutting down the 3G by the end of next year as well? And do you guys have mobile signal in the Metro (underground transport, not sure how exactly you call it, we call it Tube)?

Yes, we're going to shut down 2G and 3G
Only Free is opposed, because mobile payement use the 2G network.

We also have 4G and 5G in the metro and streetcar tunnels, but only with Orange, SFR & Bouygues. Free is only 11 years old in mobile and doesn't cover them at the moment (I'm with them, and I can see it :D ).

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Yes, we're going to shut down 2G and 3G
Only Free is opposed, because mobile payement use the 2G network.

We also have 4G and 5G in the metro and streetcar tunnels, but only with Orange, SFR & Bouygues. Free is only 11 years old in mobile and doesn't cover them at the moment (I'm with them, and I can see it :D ).
We’ve scheduled the 2G shutdown for 2030 if I am not mistaken. Our Three (Hutchinson) never had 2G, they started with 3G directly as they are relatively new. We have Wi-Fi only and only on the stations. By the time it connects, the train is already gone. By next year (way later than all other countries), we will have 4 and 5G in the Tube. So far only few stations have it activated for trial. We are way behind everyone else in terms of connectivity.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

My ISP doubled download speed (snail speed compared to others posting, but enough for two people surfing and streaming) (y)

1696839121484.png

Measured at first floor study room. The WIFI signal needs to go through 25cm isolated concrete floor and three walls (two just 8 cm autoclaved aerated concrete and the other a double isolated 25 cm thick isolated double concrete wall), in a typical Dutch city environment with over 20 surrounding wifi networks with +30% signal strenght creating noise and stutter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
image_2023-10-23_123835812.png

40/month, cheaper than my old ISP.
I have an 8Gb down, 700Mb upload subscription but I only have a 2.5Gb network card on my motherboard.

I need to buy a 10Gb network card + a DAC cable with SFP to get 10Gb.

FALLEN

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 13, 2015
I have an 8Gb down, 700Mb upload subscription but I only have a 2.5Gb network card on my motherboard.

I need to buy a 10Gb network card + a DAC cable with SFP to get 10Gb.
Cool but be careful with your PC components. My friend has FTTD at his home. He uses 10Gbps symmetrical, but he says Ryzen 7 3800X freezes when high speed download or speed testing.
b.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.