standard user account
Startup Sentinel
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
HitmanPro, Zemana
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome x64 w/appcontainer lockdown

extensions: uBlock Origin, uBlock Origin extra, HTTPS Everywhere, VTchromizer, Bitdefender TrafficLight, Animation Policy
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Zipware
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect
System recovery
Macrium Reflect Home
H

hjlbx

To boot, the certificate is invalid because it is expired...

upload_2016-10-6_14-27-18.png

H

hjlbx

This is why COMODO Internet Security is really only suitable for advanced dedicated users.

I've spent a lot of time with CIS - and from my experience I can tell you that there is a lot that a user needs to know about CIS before and during its use.

H

hjlbx

Click on view certificate. It's saying this.

View attachment 117521

@hjlbx
This thing is not even valid and do they trust all certificate they issue?

This is another example of users expecting WYSIWYG when using CIS, but CIS isn't always WYSIWYG:

If COMODO issued a cert to Notably Good Ltd, then you can bet your life that the file is in the COMODO Safe File list (cloud).

The local TVL is not updated in real-time. I have, in my own testing, seen where a vendor was added to the TVL, but it never was added to my local TVL - even after a major update - and after every other CIS user I asked confirmed that the vendor had been added to their local TVL.

LOL...

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
This is another example of users expecting WYSIWYG when using CIS, but CIS isn't always WYSIWYG:

If COMODO issued a cert to Notably Good Ltd, then you can bet your life that the file is in the COMODO Safe File list (cloud).

The local TVL is not updated in real-time. I have, in my own testing, seen where a vendor was added to the TVL, but it never was added to my local TVL - even after a major update - and after every other CIS user I asked confirmed that the vendor had been added to their local TVL.

LOL...
Ok i didn't know cloud could do that. Really confusing when multiple list are used. Thanks for the info.

H

hjlbx

Ok i didn't know cloud could do that. Really confusing when multiple list are used. Thanks for the info.

Safe File List (cloud) functions independently of the local TVL.

A vendor does not need to be on the TVL for the file itself to be rated as Trusted by COMODO.

@shmu26 can submit Affixa installer to CAMAS, Valkyrie, submit file via CIS File Reputation for file lookup, etc to verify.

He thinks COMODO is not functioning properly to protect his system, but I can assure you that it is working as designed\intended.

Y

yigido

There are 2 TVL if I am not wrong. 1 in cloud, 1 in local (in your CIS or CCAV)
and huge safe files list on the cloud...if you are offline, you are one-on-one with local TVL in your CIS.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Safe File List (cloud) functions independently of the local TVL.

A vendor does not need to be on the TVL for the file itself to be rated as Trusted by COMODO.

@shmu26 can submit Affixa installer to CAMAS, Valkyrie, submit file via CIS File Reputation for file lookup, etc to verify.

He thinks COMODO is not functioning properly to protect his system, but I can assure you that it is working as designed\intended.
Ok this Cloud list basically helps give you less alerts then when online from what i understand from @yigido and you.

Y

yigido

Ok this Cloud list basically helps give you less alerts then when online from what i understand from @yigido and you.
Yes but after some time. You have a file database in your CIS.
You are using your PC and files and one by one those files added to safe list into CIS's file database in your PC.
After some usage period, you do not need cloud safe list every time. Because you CIS knew that the file is safe in cloud.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Yes but after some time. You have a file database in your CIS.
You are using your PC and files and one by one those files added to safe list into CIS's file database in your PC.
After some usage period, you do not need cloud safe list every time. Because you CIS knew that the file is safe in cloud.
Yeah i get that. I was just not aware that the 2 vendor list didn't match that's why i was surprised. Anw you guys figured it out so we can all sleep well tonight. Thanks guys.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

LOL...
but I disabled cloud, and cut down my TVL to really small. and I did not trust COMODO.

H

hjlbx

but I disabled cloud, and cut down my TVL to really small. and I did not trust COMODO.

You have to also disable "Trust digitally signed files..." but then COMODO is not going to trust any Microsoft or OEM digitally signed files that are not already on the local safe list - when those files are loaded into active memory; they will be auto-sandboxed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

yigido

You have to also disable "Trust digitally signed files..." but then COMODO is not going to trust any Microsoft or OEM digitally signed files that are not already on the local safe list - when those files are loaded into active memory; they will be auto-sandboxed.
This is the face of Comodo which none likes. :rolleyes:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.