By Staff Site Issues and Feedback

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere, I ran several searches and found nothing here.

I was going to post a link to an update on the EU ruling that USB-C should be the only adapter type for devices in an existing thread in the 'News Graveyard' section that covers this issue, rather than start a new thread.

I could not do this because at the bottom right hand corner of the page it says

You have insufficient privileges to reply here

As shown in the attached screenshot.

I've seen posts on here where users ask for threads to be managed so as there are not numerous ones that more or less cover the same issue(s). As it is today I'd have to start another thread if I went ahead and posted the link I'd intended to share here, which goes against what those thread management requests/suggestions have been about.

Do members have to gain an elevated privilege to post in some threads? I've never come across this before on MT.
Following on from this post I've since come across several other threads, all were started this month (October 2022) where it states 'Not open for further replies.'

I don't always get to MT regularly, sometimes I simply don't have the time. Often I can read a few threads and note several more that I'd like to return to as and when I get the time in the near future. But I'd like to contribute when and where I can. I get that the site may not want a thread that was begun a few years back being dug up out of the 'News Graveyard' and restarted, but as I see it as things stand today it is all going to increase the number of threads on the same/similar topic.Or drive people away if they are not on this site 24/7 and ready to post a reply within a few days of its origin. MT does not appear to be as much of a 'discussion' site like it used to be, there is less engagement between users than I recall from before.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
You have insufficient privileges to reply here

Do members have to gain an elevated privilege to post in some threads? I've never come across this before on MT.
Let me try help explain and also suggest a super easy solution.

" You have insufficient privileges to reply here " simply means that the specific thread is now in a section on this forum that is archived, and you or anyone else lack permissions to add or edit anything inside. Even us the staff as we have to move it first. The reason is: Basic plain cleaning moderation of the forum that must be done from time to time. But that does not mean it's impossible to ask/request the staff for help and we can move a thread out from the archive ( today named Graveyard ). Happens from time to time that members do ask and it's nothing new at all.

If you seen/noticed a thread in the archive/graveyard that you wish to add more information in with for example another source link etc, you as anyone else as a member on this forum are more then warm welcome to either try contact one of the staff members with the PM ( personal message ) option, or simply use the " Report " option that is available in all posts. Add the source link and/or a short reason why you wish to have the thread moved, and either it's approved, or not according to the rules of this forum.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Following on from this post I've since come across several other threads, all were started this month (October 2022) where it states 'Not open for further replies.'
As explained above, the thread has been archived. It's nothing against the users of the forum.

Reasons to archive:
  • General maintenance, keeps the sub-forums clear of clutter.
  • Many older News threads have 0 replies (self-explanatory)
  • Moving older threads manually is time consuming, therefore it is easier to Batch process hundreds of threads.
  • News threads remain visible to the user, but lack the reply/edit permissions.
We use a batch function to move and manage threads (and posts) in a single go.

What will happen next?

Likely cause: An error in criteria selection during batch process.
Performed by: Myself
Solution:
  • Reviewing recent archiving of news posts
  • Renaming News Graveyard to something else

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Thanks for your replies, I understand the reasoning and managing things like this does keep the site reasonably tidy.

But I'm surprised that there seemed to be quite a few threads that were only started this month which have been 'archived'. As with many tech issues the issue can be 'live' for a while and new developments can occur in response to the initial matter over quite a long period afterwards. Having things set up as they are seems to me like it will put off people from following up on things, or leading to there being numerous threads on the same subject. For example as and when companies like Apple respond to the EU ruling covered in the original thread that I tried to post a new development on. I'll be honest and say that I think that I'll be unlikely to go through the process of requesting a thread to be opened up again. In the past I know that I've added to threads which were started longer ago than the start of the current month.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere, I ran several searches and found nothing here.

I was going to post a link to an update on the EU ruling that USB-C should be the only adapter type for devices in an existing thread in the 'News Graveyard' section that covers this issue, rather than start a new thread.

Just to inform, I have sent a request for Staff to move this thread from archive. Reason: statement by official person from Apple: #5

Thanks for your replies, I understand the reasoning and managing things like this does keep the site reasonably tidy.

But I'm surprised that there seemed to be quite a few threads that were only started this month which have been 'archived'. As with many tech issues the issue can be 'live' for a while and new developments can occur in response to the initial matter over quite a long period afterwards. Having things set up as they are seems to me like it will put off people from following up on things, or leading to there being numerous threads on the same subject. For example as and when companies like Apple respond to the EU ruling covered in the original thread that I tried to post a new development on. I'll be honest and say that I think that I'll be unlikely to go through the process of requesting a thread to be opened up again. In the past I know that I've added to threads which were started longer ago than the start of the current month.

The process of request for archived forums threads usually takes a short time when it will be accepted by Staff. From my personal experience, no problem in most cases.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Just to inform, I have sent a request for Staff to move this thread from archive. Reason: statement by official person from Apple: #5

The process of request for archived forums threads usually takes a short time when it will be accepted by Staff. From my personal experience, no problem in most cases.
Thanks for the information. That was the news that I was going to post about a couple of days ago. MT seems to have gone back to the days of slow news being spread by by pigeons and horseback in this case, rather than doing it in the here and now, digitally. It seemed stupid to start another thread to do that, archiving the thread really seemed premature to me. Its good that you've done this.

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I'm not sure that this is an issue but I don't like this "feature".
Previously "Alerts" were showing only the notifications about my post or the threads I have commented; but now I think that they show all the new posts since my previous connection.
Capture.PNG

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Thanks for the information. That was the news that I was going to post about a couple of days ago. MT seems to have gone back to the days of slow news being spread by by pigeons and horseback in this case, rather than doing it in the here and now, digitally. It seemed stupid to start another thread to do that, archiving the thread really seemed premature to me. Its good that you've done this.
Hey @Stopspying
Thanks for your feedback. We've enabled the possibility to reply in the News Graveyard for Verified members. If the reply is valid and brings value to the old thread (moderator approval is required before going public), the staff will move it back to the original forum.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Hey @Stopspying
Thanks for your feedback. We've enabled the possibility to reply in the News Graveyard for Verified members. If the reply is valid and brings value to the old thread (moderator approval is required before going public), the staff will move it back to the original forum.
Brilliant, thanks @Jack and whoever else was involved.

I promise I won't go on a binge of digging out old threads in the graveyard, its too late anyway, Halloween has passed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.