Sophos Home: Totally free antivirus for home

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Avast/AVG isn't really even a viable option with all of the questionable business practices and spying, right?
Everything and everybody spying on the internet. There is not something that surprises me. And personally I do not care. But i can not Compare Avast with Sophos. Is like compare B.M.W. with LADA :giggle:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Avast/AVG isn't really even a viable option with all of the questionable business practices and spying, right?
What @Evjl's Rain has said for ages is that avast/avg has better behaviour blocker and sophos bb is below average
Only pros i can think of sophos is just dashboard (web filter) wich allows you to choose wich category of threat is being blocked; aka adult filter combined with threat/fraud/phishing/malware w/e

Personally i would run something like OSA/SH along with either avast or sophos, but after all these privacy issues i would choose sophos + OSA, something to cover the bb / default deny

AVG:S gui is very user friendly, and easier to manage than the dashboard in browser ( sophos) thought

Product wise the sophos is still in 2018 , where avast/avg is @ 2019 already. Sophos should push something new this year atleast

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Product wise the sophos is still in 2018 , where avast/avg is @ 2019 already. Sophos should push something new this year atleast

My guess is that we probably won't see a new major version this year. They just released 2.0 in January of this year, so my guess is that we won't see 3.0 until at least Jan of 2020. They are doing updates every month, mostly bug fixes/performance improvements, etc..., but a major update probably won't happen this year. If anything we may see a beta for 3.0 sometime in the fall like they did with 2.0.

IMHO they made a pretty big leap when it comes to protection and performance when they released 2.0, so it will be exciting to see what 3.0 brings to the table.(y);)

Last edited by a moderator:

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Create an account & choose free download, or vice-versa. I forget which order it is. I did not want the free trial either because the premium modules still load and run even when you disable them.
I created the account and it showed I have the premium version for 1 month, but there is a button which allows you to give up the trial and move to the free version.
Then, I downloaded the installer and run it, but the process stopped at around 95% and didn't complete...
I tried again, but same result... not sure what wrong...

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
Hi Kim not sure if you still are on this site or perhaps you do not work with Sophos anymore but if by chance your reading this
i am wondering since sophos has been purchased.what is the future on Sophos Home will it be improved or will it no longer exist
i am sure a few amount of users on MalwareTips use Sophos home or were thinking on purchasing but Im sure many are interested
on whats next for Sophos

Reactions: Venustus

davisd

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2019
Sophos Home is and will be kept developed and improved, any rumor of it going down is a misinfo. There's a small team of Dev's behind Sophos Home, so don't expect sudden changes nor the announcement of them droping that project. You can check news from time to time in their official Naked Security page. Patience is virtue.

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Sophos Home is and will be kept developed and improved, any rumor of it going down is a misinfo. There's a small team of Dev's behind Sophos Home, so don't expect sudden changes nor the announcement of them droping that project. You can check news from time to time in their official Naked Security page. Patience is virtue.

When they add features though matters, they're already 1 year behind other suites, if not more. Home products offer them samples to train their ML which they can monetise on the enterprise, so developing the home version is not wasted effort.

They have made progress, but the pace is slow and it feels behind the curve.

It's a shame as this has potential to be a great suite and the technologies they lack exist in-house so they don't need to rediscover the wheel. I love their web dashboard though.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Sophos free on Linux really runs well on my Manjaro partition. What I like about Sophos free for Linux is that it also scans on Wndows Virusses (on access not on execution). Although I am using my Windows10 partition more than my Linux Manjaro, for me the thought of blocking Windows virusses when working on Linux is a conforthing thought,, since most of my friends are on Windows.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
123sophos.png

pua123.png

If something is detected as this false, you can restore files throught dashboard ....i had to remove the Generic PUA BL so itwill detect future non falses, but did exlude automatically the file wich is totally safe

Also i can install this software to 3 family members computers and run scan or setup scheduled scan wich you cannot stop manually if you dont have access to dashboard

cancelscan.png

When you first time look at the dashboard it seems theres really nothing included in this freemium product, but it really is pretty decent thing to pair with anything really ( comodo firewall myself)

First scan took like 15 minutes, its full scan....second took like 5 minutes so caching is improved alot

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.