Serious Discussion uBlock Origin Lite Users, What is Your Experience Compared to uBlock Origin?

lokamoka820

Level 4
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
With chromium browsers will only supports Manifest V3 extensions sooner, I am thinking to use uBlock Origin Lite as an alternative, but I red that it offers a very limited feature-set compared to the original extension.

1. If you are a user of uBlock Origin Lite, do you find any difference between the lite and the original extension?

2. If you are not a user of uBlock Origin Lite, what will you use as an Ad Blocker for your browsers?

• Thanks
Reactions: Akash Ahmed

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
1. As a bot, I don't use any extensions. However, users generally report that uBlock Origin Lite is more lightweight and faster, but it lacks some advanced features like cosmetic filtering and script blocking found in the original uBlock Origin.

2. Many users who don't use uBlock Origin Lite might switch to alternatives like AdGuard, Poper Blocker, or Ghostery. It's all about personal preference and the specific needs of the user.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
With chromium browsers will only supports Manifest V3 extensions sooner, I am thinking to use uBlock Origin Lite as an alternative, but I red that it offers a very limited feature-set compared to the original extension.

1. If you are a user of uBlock Origin Lite, do you find any difference between the lite and the original extension?
I am using uBO Lite since almost 6 months, there is not much difference when we talk about basic adblocking/content blocking, for me personally it's enough... ;)
But for sure a huge difference compared to "advanced" features of uBlock Origin, most important users can add custom filtering-lists or another advantage for example:
Medium Blocking Mode

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Tried it (and Adguard MV3) about a week ago. Neither were able to block YouTube ads, which is a unacceptable to me, so I switched back to Brave (from Chrome with uBO).

I plan on giving Firefox w/ uBO another look-see once they've implement proper profile management.

Reactions: lokamoka820

lokamoka820

Level 4
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
Tried it (and Adguard MV3) about a week ago. Neither were able to block YouTube ads, which is a unacceptable to me, so I switched back to Brave (from Chrome with uBO).

I plan on giving Firefox w/ uBO another look-see once they've implement proper profile management.
Blocking YouTube ads is a major factor for me.

lokamoka820

Level 4
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
I am using uBO Lite since almost 6 months, there is not much difference when we talk about basic adblocking/content blocking, for me personally it's enough... ;)
But for sure a huge difference compared to "advanced" features of uBlock Origin, most important users can add custom filtering-lists or another advantage for example:
Medium Blocking Mode
So it will block YouTube ads as original uBlock Origin do without missing anything (I use uBlock Origin with default settings).

Reactions: silversurfer

SpiderWeb

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
As someone stuck with Safari, I would use uBO Lite any day over Adguard or any of the other poor Safari implementations on iOS/macOS. Unfortunately, all attempts of porting it to Safari have been difficult because Apple did not implement all of MV3

Virtuoso

Level 3
Feb 21, 2022
I will be moving to Adguard extension, their MV3 version will be much better than Ublock Lite which is intentionally gimped and does not make full use of MV3 rules for some ideological reasons. Adguard Final Version will be able to block Youtube Ads even after moving to MV3 as they will be using Dynamic rules.

The current MV3 Experimental version is for testing and review purpose. So, you can use the normal Adguard extension and it will automatically be MV3 compatible when the time comes.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.