New Update uBlock Origin/Nano Adblocker - User Tips, Questions and Issues Thread

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Why my UBO rules on this site: https://animedao.com/ got reset out of nowhere. I just set the site rules for that site last week and now this week Monday, all the rules are gone like what the hell. This crap happened multiple times last month too. Chrome and FF affected.

cryogent

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
Hi,
i'm not an very advanced user nor the worse, i have few question regarding settings i've made in uBlock, settings that are combined from what i read on this thread.

Which setting that i have made is not ok or overlap itself with another setting?
Programming language is not my skill.

Just for info.....browser is Chromium stable with some settings in java script and flags, uBlock + Nano Defender, Netcraft, Https everywhere, Malwarebytes extension, TrafficLight, Unshorten.link and Universal Bypass.

Attachments

• my-ublock-static-filters_2019-06-28_14.06.08.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 462
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 523
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 540
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 480
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 521
  • 7.1.jpg
    7.1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 486
  • 8.1.jpg
    8.1.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 550
Last edited:

cryogent

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
Is there a noticeble difference between " com * 3p-frame noop " and " * com * noop " ?
I know noop is global ( i hope i understand corect) and 3p-frame is for third party elements frames,
so if i "noop" the "com" the "3p-frame noop" for "com" not become useless...

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@cryogent

The point of adding ONE single AdBlockPlus rule to your static My Filyters (HTTP://*^$third-party,~stylesheet,~image) is that you can forget about all the community based blocklists floating around the internet. Jjust have a look at http://vxvault.net/URL_List.php what are the first 5 characters of every malicious link posted (caution: trick question ;) )

So let's go cold turkey on the blocklists and ONLY enable EASYLIST ADS + ROMANIAN and ADGUARD tracking protection and disable all others for the time being.

Secondly let's go cold turkey on the extensions to. Keep UBlockOrigin, TrafficLight and Netcraft and disable all others for the time being.

When you don't start biting chunks out of your keyboard or randomly bonking your head against the screen for agony within seconds (after all it is a double cold turkey on blocklists and extensions) than close and re-open Chromium and surf to a dozen websites you normally visit and post your experiences (do you see a lot more advertisements)?

Regards Kees

Last edited:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Is there a noticeble difference between " com * 3p-frame noop " and " * com * noop " ?
I know noop is global and 3p-frame is for third party frames.

When you block scripts using Site Settings in Chromium using allow exceptions for HTTPS//[*.]com, HTTPS://[*.]ro etc, adjust your uBo rules as shown below

Now every time Chromium informs you that SCRIPTS are blocked on a website you want to visit:
1. Allow this website in site Chromium permissions
2. Allow this website in uB0 using the UB) control and add a DOMAINofWEBSITE.XXX * 3p-frame noop rule for that website

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
@cryogent

The point of adding ONE single AdBlockPlus rule to your static My Filyters (HTTP://*^$third-party,~stylesheet,~image) is that you can forget about all the community based blocklists floating around the internet. Jjust have a look at http://vxvault.net/URL_List.php what are the first 5 characters of every malicious link posted (caution: trick question ;) )

So let's go cold turkey on the blocklists and ONLY enable EASYLIST ADS + ROMANIAN and ADGUARD tracking protection and disable all others for the time being.

Secondly let's go cold turkey on the extensions to. Keep UBlockOrigin, TrafficLight and Netcraft and disable all others for the time being.

When you don't start biting chunks out of your keyboard or randomly bonking your head against the screen for agony within seconds (after all it is a double cold turkey on blocklists and extensions) than close and re-open Chromium and surf to a dozen websites you normally visit and post your experiences (do you see a lot more advertisements)?

Regards Kees
Is Netcraft still needed with TrafficLight? TrafficLight seems to do a great job also on phishing after a short test on OpenPhish and PhishTank.
Or is that too much cold turkey?

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Is Netcraft still needed with TrafficLight? TrafficLight seems to do a great job also on phishing after a short test on OpenPhish and PhishTank.
Yes (y):) (although Netcraft adds an extra client side Cross Site Scripting check, but Yes that would be a great next step)

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I use many time Bitdefender TrafficLight .And Netcraft but I only activate it when I do bank transactions or when I think I'm on a dangerous site.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Probably a simple solution here, but I'm too dense to figure it out.

Often I get an unwanted video popout window that locates itself in the lower right corner of the browser. When I select uBlock's "Block element", uBlock's blocking window appears directly over the video I'm trying to eradicate... so when I click "Preview" I'm unable to see the effect that uBlock offers.

How can I relocate uBlock's window in these circumstances so it does not overlay the element I'm trying to remove.

Like this ?

Picture-in-picture is by default enabled in Chrome 70 (october 2018). With new tech/usage options, new mis-usage of this technology will appear also. In advertising the use of instream video is increasing, simply because adblockers have a hard time to recognizing those ads. It is near impossible to block those ads when they are put on the same content delivery network as the video itself (so behaves as first party content).

EDIT: in latest chrome the Chrome flag #enable-picture-in-picture is removed, so I am afraid you can't block them.

Last edited:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Here's my current lightweight filter list setup for µBO which is best used with medium mode but works fine when the user wishes to fall back to easy mode with 2 clicks. Enjoy! (y)

I've learned a lot from you about uBO. So thanks for that Oldschool.

On this post, I'm not following... maybe I should have stopped at one beer.

Where is your current filter list setup for uBO?

floalma

Level 4
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
@Windows_Security

1. " com * 3p-frame noop ", does it mean that once a first or a third script is blocked I will be informed on the contrary of " * com * noop " ?

" com * 3p-frame noop " is more restrictive than "* com * noop"

2. Could you please attach your 'new dynamic rules' ?

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@floalma - I am not @Windows_Security but I can try to help you.

1. " com * 3p-frame noop ", does it mean that once a first or a third script is blocked I will be informed on the contrary of " * com * noop " ?

I'm not sure I understand your question, but an example may help.

Say you have * google.com * blocked, but you want to use Gmail. If you go to google.com you won't be able to login and you will receive no notification. You will never receive notifications using dynamic filtering. µBO doesn't work that way. You simply won't be able to login and you will need to apply one or more noops which depends on the site you visit. In this example you will first have to apply a "noop" to google.com. which will enable you to go to the login page, but you will still be unable to login on the next page. So, click on µBO icon, apply "noop" to gstatic.com and you will be able to login. You will have to decide if you want to noop gstatic.com globally, or only on google.com.

You will have to do this for all sites you visit if they are broken. Each site will be different, but after working with dynamic filtering for awhile you will quickly begin to see that all sites work essentially the same way, and you will find some common 3rd party sites that appear over and over again on different sites, depending on your surfing style - that is, where you travel on the web.

If you start by blocking 3rd party scripts & frames and then apply global blocks to the web's worst offenders (for me, that is) like Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc., then if and when you go to those sites you will need to apply "noop" rules locally. If (when) you encounter broken sites and you don't have time to "fix" the site, you may then temporarily apply a noop to 3rd party scripts & frames - but you will still have your global blocks in place (active) while your static filtering takes on more work. This is the beauty of using dynamic filtering. With 2 clicks you have some of the power and protection of dynamic blocking + static filters. Later when you visit the same site again and have the time, you may apply permanent rules.

One important piece of advice that gorhill gives is to not flood your dynamic rule set with too many permanent rules or it will become too unwieldy. Make permanent rules only for the sites you visit very frequently and make temporary rules for ones you visit occasionally, or fall back to easy mode with the 2 - click method if that's what's easiest ATM. Also, if you haven't watched the video in my initial post then please do and you will find it quite helpful. (y)

2. Could you please attach your 'new dynamic rules' ?

Posting my dynamic rule set would be pointless because these are unique to each µBO user and very dependent on surfing style. The example above should be sufficient to guide you on your way, but I'll be happy to try and help you if you have other questions. :)

Remember: Stay safe, not paranoid! :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.