New Update uBlock0rigin in Medium mode for Lighter and Stronger Protection, with Less websites breakage and hassle

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Oh i see, I think there is because i saw someone sent WSJ article in the general on discord a few months ago so guy asked him how to remove subscription because he want to read full so he sent the github which block or bypass something like this i might ask him later

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Well i would like to read some full article on The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) is there a way to block subscription ? they cant let me read full ;/
There is a way. This is what I use and it works like a charm ;)

This one is for Firefox. Normal installation.
This is for Chromium. It's slightly complicated to install in Chromium. I never tried it. Follow the steps and it should work.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017

This is for Chromium. It's slightly complicated to install in Chromium. I never tried it. Follow the steps and it should work.

Yea that one lol thank you!

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Yea that one lol thank you!
for paywalls it wont bypass change user agent to google bot

nice piracy XD

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
The bypass-paywalls extension works for now for chromium Edge for the Wall Street Journal link above. (y)

It's not difficult at all to install. The only consideration I found so far is that this must be run in Developer mode (toggled to on) which is stated on the GitHub page. Edge then issues a popup complaining that Dev mode could be harmful to your machine. No problems running alongside uBlock Origin--seriously, all webpages should run so well. But who know how long this ext. will be permitted to run.

Edge is shaping up beautifully performance-wise, as a general comment.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

You have turned me into an outlaw and a criminal. I can't believe it.

It's actually very easy. I installed it in no time in Brave without µBO. Unzip --> Drag&Drop extracted folder into Settings-->Extensions (Drag/drop anywhere on the page).

I noticed it slows page loading a bit, the only downside so far.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
You have turned me into an outlaw and a criminal. I can't believe it.
Now I see you with a cowboy hat on your head running through the wild west on a horse like a wanted criminal 😂
I noticed it slows page loading a bit, the only downside so far.
Didn't know this. I keep it disabled and only enable when I hit those paywalls.

ANNOx

Level 2
Sep 26, 2020
i found EasyList too bulky and causing a lag . I have added AdGuard Base instead and "Extremely Condensed Adblocking List" ("aims for at least 90% of EasyList's coverage with less than 0.2% as many entries.")
I have found that less bulk causes a snappy browsing experience on medium mode . added https://hostfiles.frogeye.fr/firstparty-only-trackers-hosts.txt to the list and uBlock filters – Annoyances as well . Looking for a light "annoyance" filter list to add so i can move to hard mode with minimum bulk .Less is better. After using Ublock origin for years and using too many filter lists i have learned my lesson .

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
uBo has an option to block creating popups and new windows (popunders) which works in Chromium based browsers, but does not seem to work in Firefox.

Add this in my filters

! block popups and popunders on annoying websites
||annoyingwebsite.com$popup,popunder
||anotherannoyingwebsite.com$popup,popunder
|addmoreannoying.com$popup,popunder

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@Gandalf_The_Grey pointed me to the 'optimized' filters on Filterlists.com (again thank you for that).

The optimized filters offer an opportunity to configure uBlockOrigin within the limitations of Manifest V3 using well curated AdGuard blocklists

1605959242538.png

1605959762857.png

1606032909813.png

EDIT: attached updated My Files as text file for easy import

Attachments

• My Filters .txt
    1 KB · Views: 653
Last edited:

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
If you've got 100k filters to potentially use why bother disabling cosmetic filtering at all when optimised lists come in far lower?

I'd like to identify which lists are stripped to the most effective/optimised bare bones with no dead sites for each area ~ Ads / Privacy / Security / Annoyances ~ and these should come in well below the 100k allowed.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
@Gandalf_The_Grey pointed me to the 'optimized' filters on Filterlists.com (again thank you for that).

The optimized filters offer an opportunity to configure uBlockOrigin within the limitations of Manifest V3 using well curated AdGuard blocklists

Actually the rule about CNAME trackers you put in My filters is already covered by EasyPrivacy. Even by EasPrivacy Optimized. I think you took that from Yuki's comment, right? I think what Yuki actually meant is that, those 2 rules block most of the CNAME trackers and those are already covered by EasyPrivacy. He added few other things in his own very small tracking plus filters but I'm not sure if any of those are related to CNAME trackers.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.