New Update uBlock0rigin in Medium mode for Lighter and Stronger Protection, with Less websites breakage and hassle

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
@Jan Willy

Have you tried it? Umatrix also has an option to use a community based medium mode whitelist. I tried it a while together with some other uMa whitelists but I kept running into websites which I had to whitelist myself.

It does not work, there are simply to many websites.

Have you tried Yuki 's uBo version yourself?
Yes, I was curious if it would work. Normally I don 't use uBlock. I had to whitelist some sites. Till now I can't say there were to many sites. I don't know if I stay with it in the long term.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Just wondering people are still using this easy-medium mode.

I really like it (My Rules and My Filters as text file attached)

I decided to add Easylist optimized and Dutch EL to my filterlists (see spoiler) because Kees1958 mentioned it in his Github readme (link) for optimal balance between blocking and performance. @SecurityNightmares (aka BeerIsGood) I don't notice any difference with using Kees1958 only. Do you know the reason for this change of advice? Is it because you additionally use a large blocklist at DNS level? If so why is using DNS level blocklists in combination with EU-US most prevalent not mentioned in the readme? :)

1614450947209.png

EDIT: I accidentally cut and pasted in stead of copy and pasted My Filters (reason for zero cosmetic filters), luckily I posted this already :)

Attachments

• Lenny_Vos_My_Rules.txt
    252 bytes · Views: 616
  • Lenny_Vos_My_Fiters.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 749
Last edited:

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019

I decided to add Easylist optimized and Dutch EL to my filterlists (see spoiler) because Kees1958 mentioned it in his Github readme (link) for optimal balance between blocking and performance. @SecurityNightmares (aka BeerIsGood) I don't notice any difference with using Kees1958 only. Do you know the reason for this change of advice? Is it because you additionally use a large blocklist at DNS level? If so why is using DNS level blocklists in combination with EU-US most prevalent not mentioned in the readme? :)

EDIT: I accidentally cut and pasted in stead of copy and pasted My Filters (reason for zero cosmetic filters), luckil#
I'm still using tweaked medium-mode but experimenting with other options. I'll give this config a try.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I have been experimenting with Hard Mode and a month ago added 1Hosts pro to the list. Reset the counter and TBH I don't notice a big difference aside from a counter going over 250.000+ blocked. And needing to unbreak the occasional website with a global and/or local noop.

Mind you, I got a bunch of lists for whatever reasons, cosmetic and trackers I guess mostly.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I don't notice any difference with using Kees1958 only. Do you know the reason for this change of advice? Is it because you additionally use a large blocklist at DNS level?
What did you mean with difference? In general, you shouldn't get annoying ads or tracking.

If so why is using DNS level blocklists in combination with EU-US most prevalent not mentioned in the readme? :)
Don't know. Maybe because he doesn't use DNS level blocking.
You can open an issue and ask him ;)

Sadly, i also wasn't successful yet adding his list into other projects.
My greatest hope lay in the OISD project but because of too much false positives in his list ("thanks" to a bad source), the dev will not include Kees' list :(
Adding his list to e.g. NextDNS isn't even worth a try as the team is very bussy and terribly slow with replying.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

With my browsing behavior Kees1958 works as good as Kees1958+EasyList optimized, so I did not notice much differences
Maybe because Easylist already block most of the domains.

NOTE: the number of domains dropped in the last weeks, so this is due to a cleanup?
Yes. Thanks to OISD project a lot of false positives are removed.
Kees also remove even more and start weekly cleanups for now (y)

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I have been experimenting with Hard Mode and a month ago added 1Hosts pro to the list. Reset the counter and TBH I don't notice a big difference aside from a counter going over 250.000+ blocked. And needing to unbreak the occasional website with a global and/or local noop.

Mind you, I got a bunch of lists for whatever reasons, cosmetic and trackers I guess mostly.
In hard mode you block all third-party by default, so you would only need cosmetic rules of the (first-party) websites you visit. So when you use hard mode adding lists probably does not impact the blocked counter, because hard mode blocks them anyway.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
In hard mode you block all third-party by default, so you would only need cosmetic rules of the (first-party) websites you visit. So when you use hard mode adding lists probably does not impact the blocked counter, because hard mode blocks them anyway.
That is true, but surprisingly enough there appears to be a lot of trackers being blocked on a first party level so far. Again, just experimenting, but I was quite surprised. I did expect it to some degree, but a lot less than it turned though.

Reactions: Nevi

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019

EDIT: I accidentally cut and pasted in stead of copy and pasted My Filters (reason for zero cosmetic filters), luckily I posted this already :)
Maybe you have given an explanation somewhere else on MT, but where is the browser inbuild ad- and tracking protection in the whole story?

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
... surprisingly enough there appears to be a lot of trackers being blocked on a first party level so far.
In my experience you find such trackers in particular on social media sites. To block (or spoof) those trackers there are effective (and small) filterlists, e.g. in combination with each other Adguard Social Media, uBlock Annoyances (!) and Yuki's uBlock Static Rules.

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I just stumbled upon this thread an hour ago, and I'm now using this mode. It's brilliant! My only regret is I didn't discover it a lot sooner. Lenny, I might have borrowed some of your ideas from your post #82 attachments as well ;) Thanks!
To be honest, Kees1958 was the originator of this idea, I just updated it because Oldschool asked me to. Speaking of Oldschool, it is worrying that he has not posted anything for a few months. Hope he his well.

wat0114

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
To be honest, Kees1958 was the originator of this idea, I just updated it because Oldschool asked me to. Speaking of Oldschool, it is worrying that he has not posted anything for a few months. Hope he his well.

Oh yeah I know it was Kees1958 who started the thread with this idea. I knew him from Wilders where he hasn't posted in several years, so I hope everything is okay with him after hearing he hasn't posted here in a few months.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lenny_Fox and Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.