Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
One day. Two big Vivaldi browser releases
Vivaldi 3.0 arrives on your Windows, Mac and Linux computer with new Tracker blocker, Ad blocker, Clock and more. First Vivaldi Mobile release now available on Android. Includes new Tracker Blocker, Ad Blocker, Tab bar and more

Today we take a giant leap forward. Vivaldi 3.0 arrives on your computer and the much-awaited final version of Vivaldi launches on Android devices.

As we navigate the difficult times of the pandemic together, the browser becomes center stage.

Now that people are spending a lot more time online, we are doubling down on giving you a browser that protects you from trackers, blocks unwanted ads, and provides you with more useful features than any other browser.

Both the desktop and mobile versions come with built-in privacy tools – Tracker and Ad blocker.

With the Tracker blocker, we are incorporating DuckDuckGo’s Tracker Radar for easy and effective protection from web trackers.

On the desktop, we continue to add rich features including a unique clock, improved spatial navigation, and countless customisation options.
Packed with unmatched features, the mobile browser launches with a native Ad blocker – the most requested feature for Android – and tracking protection for uninterrupted browsing, privacy, and speed.

Read More on Blog

Desktop and Mobile Changelog

Desktop Changelog
New features

• [New][Blocker] Tracking and ad blocker (VB-46272)
  • [New][Status Bar] Clock utility (VB-18701)
  • [New][Spatial Navigation] Re-implement the feature
  • [New][macOS] Option for automatic, silent updates on next start (VB-20993)
  • [New][Popout Video] Add a setting to disable (VB-63456)
  • [New][Popout Video] Add video progress bar (VB-65187)
  • [New][Popout Video] Seek forward and backwards using cursor (arrow) keys (VB-65796)
  • [New][Settings] Allow sorting of saved passwords list (VB-4820)

Mobile Changelog
Blocker

• [Blocker] Add basic tracker and ads blocking statistics VB-65197
  • [Blocker] Add support for automatic element hiding VB-65689
  • [Blocker] Tracking blocker VB-46272
  • [Blocker] Tracking and ad blocker UI VB-58950
Bookmarks
  • [Bookmarks][Notes] Make it possible to delete all items from trash (VB-56624)
  • [Bookmarks][Notes] Select all menu item added VB-64206
Settings
  • [Settings] Add an option ’Always Show Desktop Site’ (VB-59366)
  • [Settings] Add scroll indicators to Speed Dial and Tab switcher (VB-55260)
  • [Settings] Add setting to hide status bar VB-63717
  • [Settings] Make it possible to choose small or large Speed Dials VB-62490
  • [Settings] Swipe to close tabs (VB-57094)
Start Page
  • [Start Page] Add back arrow to Speed Dial sub-folder indicator VB-62863
  • [Start Page] Add dragging item on top of other item to create a folder in Speed Dial VB-59061
  • [Start Page] Add ”Drag Speed Dial to folder” to add item to folder VB-59060
  • [Start Page] Add sub-folder indicator in Speed Dial VB-62300
  • [Start Page] Add popup menu to add folder or Speed Dial for Speed Dial plus button (VB-57631)
  • [Start Page] Drag Speed Dials around to change order (VB-57995)
  • [Start Page] Drag Speed Dial on folder indicator to move out of it VB-62464
  • [Start Page] Make it possible to edit and delete Speed Dials (VB-57597)
User Interface
  • [UI] Landscape view panel VB-59800
  • [UI] Implement tabs for Phone UI VB-62382
Chromebooks
  • [Chromebooks] Make Vivaldi work on Chromebooks (VB-59995)
Other fixes
  • Upgraded Chromium to 81.0.4044.114
  • Updated translations

Last edited by a moderator:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Please kindly use forum editing Quotes and Spoiler tags to post big image sizes, also don't post the full content of the source, thanks:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
About the vivaldis ad / tracker blocking feature, i have added these lists

tracker blocking sources:
- adguard tracking protection filter

ad blocking sources:
- Adguard base filter
- Adguard social media filter
- Adguard annoyances filter
- Adblock warning removal list
- I dont care about cookies
- Nocoin filterlist
- Country specific easylist filter

Seeing zero ads, zero cookie annoyances, vivaldi is rocking now...only extension i had to install is bitwarden

Vivaldi is now much better than opera and its adblocker, trying out android version of this browser now to see if its actually better than firefox preview

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
The stable android app release looks a bit more polished and smoother than the Beta (haven't tried Snapshots).
Yet, there are glitches in experimental Tab Group features and Tab Strips. Sync glitches, some tab mgmt glitches and Speed Dial folder navigation issue seem to be resolved. I dislike the chromium Tab Manager layout though. A terrible call of UI and UX just to enable efficient Tab Grouping?
I had found another issue where from the new tab page, I would google about "X Y" topic, click on a link ... and when I go back, it would take to the new tab page instead of the google search page. While I was trying to verify it in the new version, Vivaldi started force-closing for a while. Confirmed that it's fixed.

The desktop app has always been a gem with its excellent tab management and stacking, tiling, theming options, fast forwarding, speed dial folders, keyboard shortcuts, mouse gestures and Quick commands. Spatial navigation being re-added.
A few things I find lacking besides rare performance issues are auto-translation and polishing (has funky colors, shades and low-quality icons by default).
Nice to see how one can now dismiss the use of 3rd party tracking and ad blocking extensions as @Moonhorse illustrated (y)

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
The stable android app release looks a bit more polished and smoother than the Beta
It looks promising, it blocks youtube/ twitch ads, but lacks adding custom filter lists. I already replaced edge with vivaldi on my android phone as it can access to :/flags aswell

Whenever they and if they do release custom filters, i can replace firefox preview on my family devices

@harlan4096 i rushed since i was excited and couldve edited the topic but been bit busy, received an warning and will pay more attention in future, im sorry

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Does Ctrl + Enter not work in Vivaldi's address bar? What is this! 😑
Did you (re)enable the below option after update? Working fine for me.
Screenshot (619).png

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Changes in Vivaldi 3.0.1874.32:
  • [Blocker] Blocking counters with no background on dark mode VB-65518
  • [Blocker] Element hiding sometimes fails to be applied VB-65947
  • [Bookmarks] Bookmarks/Folder scrolling stucks VB-56895
  • [Settings] Allow search suggestions in Address filed VB-61246
  • Upgraded Chromium to 81.0.4044.123

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.