Not open for further replies.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
I'm sorry, but how is this not intrusive?
I have had this discussion 5+ times in the past, so I will be brief.

First, most major software has an error reporting feature. Second, it is completely anonymous. There is absolutely no private data of any kind that is sent... just the error message is sent. Third, it will be documented in our EULA. Forth, I might create an option for people to opt out if they wish... but I hate to add yet another option, so we will see.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I have had this discussion 5+ times in the past, so I will be brief.

First, most major software has an error reporting feature. Second, it is completely anonymous. There is absolutely no private data of any kind that is sent... just the error message is sent. Third, it will be documented in our EULA. Forth, I might create an option for people to opt out if they wish... but I hate to add yet another option, so we will see.
I see, thank you for explaining.

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Great news Dan!..... unfortunately fileless malware as scripts are getting quite "popular"....I hope it's not a silly question or that it was answered before, how well is and will VS detect non- obfuscated and obfuscated memory based script execution?
I read the 2 interesting articles below few days ago and got a bit "nervous" about the AV capabilities to detect them.

MRG – Current state of malicious Powershell script blocking
Current state of malicious Powershell script blocking

thank you!

Looking forward to install VS 4 ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Thank you guys! Getting close... I decided to redo a lot of the script handling as well. When we started, fileless malware was not so pervasive, but now I can optimize the script handling... it is going to be cool. I wish I could tell you when it is going to be ready, but it is too difficult to guess... but I imagine sometime this weekend. If I do not get a chance to reply to an email or pm, please understand, thank you!
Don't rush, take your time, version 3.59 is working without any problems combined with Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
Yes, but I think that Slimjet or Vivaldi user on the free VS version may appreciate that.

Why have you not asked Dan for a full version? Just e-mail him. Although he is extremely busy right now. Just tell him you are a Wilders member and now following this thread for updates. In the past it was a 2 years free lic of the full product.

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
@boredog
Sorry mate I should have wrote "yes I did". Dan sent me a subscription quite awhile back.
And thanks for the tip anyway, some other user may benefit from it.;)

Reactions: FrFc1908
P

plat1098

First, VS 4.0 has a fully automated error reporting system, and it is already up and running. Users no longer need to report errors or send log files.

Good, cuz no developer log.log was in ProgramData for some reason when I needed it. Just as well, the release version is working great for the moment. Looking forward to the new 4.0 VS. :)

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Ok, getting close, seriously this time .

I am happy how things turned out because initially I was going to release VS 4.0 a couple of weeks ago, without the rules and other features fully implemented, but now that I see how it is turning out, I am happy we waited… hehehe, it is going to be cool. I mean, there are many, many new features, and a lot of them are under the hood, but the one I am most excited about is the rules feature.

Also, when we started, fileless malware was hardly even discussed, so most of VS was designed around executables, and scripts were kind of an afterthought. As we all know, things have changed, and it was important for me to update the code to handle fileless malware more efficiently and effectively. Don’t get me wrong, the old way worked really well, but it was kind of cobbled together, since I just kind of patched things as we went… but the code was kind of messy.

Now VS handles each file type separately. For example, if the blocked item is just a plain executable, it will do a certain thing, but if the blocked item is a script, blacklisted item, or command line, it will handle it completely differently. Not only is this more efficient, but it is more secure.

There are a lot of other features you guys will notice. Before I forget, the new multi-user feature is on the Utilities tab, on the big button at the bottom.

Believe it or not, I probably will not add any new web apps at this point, but I will soon. Basically, a lot of the work I have been doing has been laying the groundwork to make things easier to update in the future. Sure, I could spend a few hours when I am finished with VS 4.0 beta and add a few new web apps, but honestly, I just want to get this to you guys asap and then I am going to take a break for a few days (it has been a long couple of months). Then I will add the web apps and a few other small features… I have a lot of small things I want to add, but if I keep adding stuff, then you guys will never get to see it .

Anyway, I am way past any serious obstacles, so now I just need to polish up a few things and then you guys can take it for a test drive.

Once again, I am truly sorry that I have not been able to reply to a lot of the pms or emails… hopefully when you see VS 4.0, you will understand why . Once it is ready, things will go back to normal . Thank you guys .

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Ok, getting close, seriously this time .
6bmzJrt.jpg

:D

Aug 26, 2017
Just a quick compatibility question.
Is VS able to run with Malwarebytes 3.0 and Kaspersky Internet Security together without any conflicts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.