Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
A general question/s:
Besides flipping VS to "on" mode, do web apps have any special mitigations/restrictions that apply to them?
And why aren't office apps, like MS Word, considered web apps, seeing as PDF readers are so considered?

Reactions: Jack

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
voodooshield.exe
Tried that but for some reason

it didn't work for me ... switched back to 'automatic, delayed start' method.
A general question/s:
Besides flipping VS to "on" mode, do web apps have any special mitigations/restrictions that apply to them?
And why aren't office apps, like MS Word, considered web apps, seeing as PDF readers are so considered?
+1, would also like to know e.g. whether to add Office apps (LibreOffice).

Reactions: shmu26

Wolfsbane

Level 1
Sep 6, 2017
A more elegant solution would be to use the inbuilt Windows task scheduler so VoodooShield can run with predefined parameters and more stable switches, while the service can still be used for self protection /integrity checks or telemetry and making sure only allowed modules are loaded, imo. Redstone update should be interesting. I'm wondering if WD EMET will play nice with VS

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
Had the startup issue right after install. It then stopped for a while but came back today.
UAC MAX
ADMIN
Appguard, Winpatrol RAR, Tinywall

Reactions: shmu26

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
Dan

All worked fine yesterday. This morning at startup VS requested for registration.
Capture.PNG

I registered then after making sure all worked fine I turned the computer off.
When restarted VS did not startup, I had to do that manually. Note that VS is set to logon at startup.
Turned the machine off and restarted once more and all is fine, for now...

VS Smart Mode
UAC default level
WD
HTMP set to run a scan at startup.
MBAE

Last edited:

Mr.Gump

Level 1
Sep 6, 2017
4.0B isnt starting with my PC but I am not too worried about it, i just start it up manually. Everything else working great! Windows 10 64bit

P

plat1098

VS is in the systray first but doesn't show up in Startup programs/task manager--just an observation. Still get a "Program Manager is still in use" message at shutdown but it just proceeds and there are no errors or warnings in event viewer. Machine has been running for a few hours with 4.0 beta and no CPU issues, no registration boxes after startup either. Nice.
vs startup.png

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
This start up and registration issue seems strange in that after it asks for you to re-register, after you enter your info
have you noticed that it resets the whitelist. It cant keep the startup info, it cant retain the license info, or the Whitelist
it created. sounds "to me" like code changes or write permissions could be part of this.
Either way I put VoodooShield to sleep for now and will update when Dan posts beta updates.

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
This start up and registration issue seems strange in that after it asks for you to re-register, after you enter your info
have you noticed that it resets the whitelist. It cant keep the startup info, it cant retain the license info, or the Whitelist
it created. sounds "to me" like code changes or write permissions could be part of this.
Either way I put VoodooShield to sleep for now and will update when Dan posts beta updates.

Same experience. Strange though that it keep changes to WebbApps

DotNet

Level 1
Verified
Sep 4, 2017
I am amazed at how much better this is versus 3.59. Dan you are truly gifted! This is the first beta of any security software where users don't hesitate to install it. A few bugs put you 4 or 5 releases ahead of other so called stable builds, (malwarebytes), (bitdefender), etc. After restart registration is working after the 2nd try. 1st time it acts like it worked and even takes an advanced snapshot, but it still show free version. Completely exit the application & restart it. Now enter registration again. Registered! Tested several times, same results. Disabled UAC, No active antivirus running, Windows 10 x64 LTSB.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
I am amazed at how much better this is versus 3.59. Dan you are truly gifted! This is the first beta of any security software where users don't hesitate to install it. A few bugs put you 4 or 5 releases ahead of other so called stable builds, (malwarebytes), (bitdefender), etc. After restart registration is working after the 2nd try. 1st time it acts like it worked and even takes an advanced snapshot, but it still show free version. Completely exit the application & restart it. Now enter registration again. Registered! Tested several times, same results. Disabled UAC, No active antivirus running, Windows 10 x64 LTSB.
Thank you, I appreciate that very much... even though I do not deserve such a compliment ;).

Here is the 4.01 beta, hopefully the registration issue is fixed… if not, I will see if Alex can take a look at it asap.

The token issue (VoodooShield starting on startup with the service) may or may not be fixed, but if it is not, I added some logging that will provide a specific error code that will help us narrow it down.

I was not able to duplicate the high CPU utilization that is a result of the scan child processes feature… so if someone can send me a link to a file that causes this issue, please do. It will be a very, very easy fix once I can reproduce the error… high CPU utilization errors are always easy to fix once you can reproduce them.

Other than that, there are around 10 or so other bug fixes included in this version.

There were a few bugs in the new rules feature, and the custom folders feature, but I believe they are resolved now. If either of these features do not behave as expected, please let me know. If you can provide a way for me to produce the unexpected behavior, that will be even better.

Everything seems to be going extremely well, and are getting very, very close to a stable VS 4.0… I would not be surprised if we can wrap this up in less than a week. Thank you guys for your help, I will catch up asap!

You should be able to install over the top of the old versions of VS… but if you run into trouble, please uninstall the old version, reboot, and reinstall (and please let me know if you had an issue with installing over the top).

www.voodooshield.com/Download/beta4/InstallVoodooShield401beta.exe

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
4.01b... No autostart (reboot login)

From Event Viewer:
Service cannot be started. System.InvalidCastException: Conversion from string "StartProcessAsCurrentUser: GetSe" to type 'Double' is not valid. ---> System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ParseDouble(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToDouble(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToDouble(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)
at VoodooShieldService.ProcessExtensions.StartProcessAsCurrentUser(String appPath, String cmdLine, String workDir, Boolean visible)
at VoodooShieldService.VoodooShieldService.OnStart(String[] args)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.