VoodooShield discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
BTW at your time and convenience, i did not report a new issue. When starting the computer, a couple of time I got prompted to allow flash player installation.exe.Though flash player is already installed.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Thank you guys, I appreciate that! I should have the bugs fixed within a week or two... it is just that I am in the middle of figuring everything else out as well, and besides, I kinda needed to take a quick break from coding ;).

BTW, I intend to keep posting on MT for the main VS thread, but there are certain topics that I am unable to discuss on here (understandably). So I started a reddit thread. If you guys are interested, please start posting on the following thread, and if there appears to be some interest, I will start posting as well.

VoodooShield • r/Malware

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Thank you guys, I appreciate that! I should have the bugs fixed within a week or two... it is just that I am in the middle of figuring everything else out as well, and besides, I kinda needed to take a quick break from coding ;).

BTW, I intend to keep posting on MT for the main VS thread, but there are certain topics that I am unable to discuss on here (understandably). So I started a reddit thread. If you guys are interested, please start posting on the following thread, and if there appears to be some interest, I will start posting as well.

VoodooShield • r/Malware

aahhh, reddit says [removed] ??

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hmmm, very odd. They probably thought it was spam because my first post was “Free 1 year VoodooShield Pro license to the first 10 people who post! If you miss this round, check back soon, we will be doing this often! Assuming it is allowed ;).”

It’s cool… we will figure something out.

gorblimey

Level 2
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
a couple of time I got prompted to allow flash player installation.exe.Though flash player is already installed.

Hi @VecchioScarpone - Do you have Flash on auto-update? (It has a nasty habbit of ignoring your instructions for the next update :mad:, you always have to reset it.) And--of course--I try to remember to disable VS for the updates, I have to do 3 of them, one is especially for IE11!)

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
There is even more to the story... I will be brief (and explain more later). In the past, I have talked about making VS open source, and I am starting to consider this as a serious option. I think if done correctly, it would be a win-win for everyone involved. First, a lot of github users are starting to run VS... which I think is super cool, and is a true honor. So I think if I posted the source code on github, some of the best coders in the world would do amazing things with VS and it would take off like a rocket ship.

When we started VS 6 years ago, we never intended to develop the software to the extent that is today. VS was intended to be a licensing play... that is, AV vendors would simply add VS's proprietary technology to their software, and VoodooSoft, LLC would essentially be an intellectual property holding company. This would be really cool for end users simply because they would choose their favorite AV software, and it would also automatically lock the computer when it is at risk. The thing is... even if we decide to go open source, this is still an option for us.

So basically, the end user would benefit because several amazing devs would be creating amazing versions of VS, and we can still license our intellectual property... it truly would be a win-win for everyone involved.

Over the last year or so, I have had a few different non-security related ML / Ai ideas that I have been wanting to explore and develop, but I have not had the time to do so. This would also free me up so that I can start working on these projects.

It was never my intention to build VS into a large company... especially when the security industry is absolutely filled with smoke and mirrors and total BS. In the end, the truth always comes out, and the best product / idea will succeed. That is, if a company feels compelled or is required to use smoke, mirrors and BS in an attempt to make a dent in the market, then they have a product or usability issue... this has been demonstrated time and again. If VS goes open source, I will then be able to speak my mind and expose a lot of the BS.

So I am not sure what is going to happen with VS... the only thing that I am 100% sure of is that whatever path we choose, it will be in the best interest of VS, and it will be bigger and better than ever.

What do you guys think? Am I missing any downsides to going open source? Thank you guys!

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
That is really weird about the random registration issue. The funny thing is that I run the exact same version of VS that you guys do, on all of my devices, and I have not that issue once. So we just need to figure out what might be causing this... does it only happen with WiFi, a certain OS, a certain region, other security software or firewalls? You guys have already figured out several other rather major issues simply by discussing them on here, so I am hoping this one will be resolved the same way ;).

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
does it only happen with WiFi, a certain OS, a certain region, other security software or firewalls?
Home WiFi, Win 10 Pro x64 v1709 16299.19, English - South Africa, various security softs on two machines:
1. Glasswire | ERP | AG | VS | EAM | HmP.A | AppCheck | Sbie | Adguard | FIDES
2. VS | DeepArmor | CryptoPrevent | WD | ZAL | MB3 AE | RansomOff | WinPatrol | Adguard | ReHIPS
:eek:

faircot

Level 1
Mar 31, 2014
That is really weird about the random registration issue. The funny thing is that I run the exact same version of VS that you guys do, on all of my devices, and I have not that issue once. So we just need to figure out what might be causing this..

It happens here ONLY when my network adapter is slow to load on boot up. I think VS gets fed up with waiting for it to connect to the Internet, hence the rereg request.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
It happens here ONLY when my network adapter is slow to load on boot up. I think VS gets fed up with waiting for it to connect to the Internet, hence the rereg request.
You could be onto something here. Haven't had a new registration request in days, but have also a network adapter that is slow on boot.

Reactions: VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
@faircot @Gandalf_The_Grey

+1.
I'll monitor the network adapter slow boot being possibly connected to the issue we reported, as randomly my internet connection is slow on the mark too.
BTW
W10 home x64
MBAE free
WD ( note the issue happen with or without Process folders control enable)
Australia

Hi @VecchioScarpone - Do you have Flash on auto-update? (It has a nasty habbit of ignoring your instructions for the next update :mad:, you always have to reset it.) And--of course--I try to remember to disable VS for the updates, I have to do 3 of them, one is especially for IE11!)
G'day.
I did not have flash on auto-update. Next thing to monitor then in regard to the VS warning.
Thanks mate.;)

There is even more to the story... I will be brief (and explain more later). In the past, I have talked about making VS open source, and I am starting to consider this as a serious option. I think if done correctly, it would be a win-win for everyone involved. First, a lot of github users are starting to run VS... which I think is super cool, and is a true honor. So I think if I posted the source code on github, some of the best coders in the world would do amazing things with VS and it would take off like a rocket ship.

When we started VS 6 years ago, we never intended to develop the software to the extent that is today. VS was intended to be a licensing play... that is, AV vendors would simply add VS's proprietary technology to their software, and VoodooSoft, LLC would essentially be an intellectual property holding company. This would be really cool for end users simply because they would choose their favorite AV software, and it would also automatically lock the computer when it is at risk. The thing is... even if we decide to go open source, this is still an option for us.

So basically, the end user would benefit because several amazing devs would be creating amazing versions of VS, and we can still license our intellectual property... it truly would be a win-win for everyone involved.

Over the last year or so, I have had a few different non-security related ML / Ai ideas that I have been wanting to explore and develop, but I have not had the time to do so. This would also free me up so that I can start working on these projects.

It was never my intention to build VS into a large company... especially when the security industry is absolutely filled with smoke and mirrors and total BS. In the end, the truth always comes out, and the best product / idea will succeed. That is, if a company feels compelled or is required to use smoke, mirrors and BS in an attempt to make a dent in the market, then they have a product or usability issue... this has been demonstrated time and again. If VS goes open source, I will then be able to speak my mind and expose a lot of the BS.

So I am not sure what is going to happen with VS... the only thing that I am 100% sure of is that whatever path we choose, it will be in the best interest of VS, and it will be bigger and better than ever.

What do you guys think? Am I missing any downsides to going open source? Thank you guys!

There may have being few hiccups and disagreements here and there, but most people will support you whatever you choose and surely give good advices.
I wish I had something tangible in the matter of know how, that may help you more than my best wishes, thanks and confidence on you.

Last edited by a moderator:

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
It happens here ONLY when my network adapter is slow to load on boot up. I think VS gets fed up with waiting for it to connect to the Internet, hence the rereg request
So maybe we go back to having the service set to "Automatic (Delayed Start)". I'll try that for now (usually I get a login request once/twice a week, but I've always attributed that to disc/reg cleaning tweaks).

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I think the part where said more people working on a product is reality also for other programs, not only for VodooShield.

And not only Software Engineers, also support team, and marketing team is needed.

A similar approach, even if the source code is closed, was did by AdGuard with the Github page to report bug by users, maybe could be useful, just don't be a bias for report on multiple place.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
I think the part where said more people working on a product is reality also for other programs, not only for VodooShield.

And not only Software Engineers, also support team, and marketing team is needed.

A similar approach, even if the source code is closed, was did by AdGuard with the Github page to report bug by users, maybe could be useful, just don't be a bias for report on multiple place.
Yeah, exactly... we need more devs than just me working on VS. Our software is in pretty good shape, but if a software company wants to stay relevant, you have to actually update your software, make changes and add features... not just change the version number and a couple of graphics and charge the users again.

Thank you for the input, that is exactly what I was looking for... there might be an option that I am over looking that you guys can help me figure out. I am basically just trying to figure out the best direction for VS, so I figured I would post my thoughts and see what you guys thought.

People are starting to understand what I mean by "lock your computer when it is at risk".

I mean really... that is all I was trying to do all along. Keep your existing security and lock the computer when it is at risk.

I still have not heard one argument why our computers should not be locked when they are at risk.

When you drive through a rough part of town... should your windows be rolled up and your doors locked?

When you drive through a nice part of town, it is great to be able to roll down the window and put the top down.

We are getting there... thank you guys for your help!

Last edited:
Reactions: hamo and enaph
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.