VoodooShield Latest

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
The latest from Dan:

"Hey everyone, sorry I have been so busy. I finally wrapped up that project for a client of mine the other day, so things will return to normal after the holidays.

MikeV found a bug that might have been slowing down some processes while starting. If your system was already super fast with VS, then you probably will not notice a difference, but if you were experiencing any system slowdown issues with VS installed, then I am hoping this will fix the issue. Basically VS was checking the Program Files and Windows special folder rule at times when it should not have been. It did not hurt anything either way, but it is just more efficient to skip these rules if, for example, the process has already been allowed by another rule.

https://voodooshield.com/Download/InstallVoodooShield469.exe

SHA256: f4495bad1071212f6c4f5bc3e7b112efeb4a836e2e8ae21e4a9f9e8ba86b8cd9

There are a few other small tweaks and bug fixes in 2.69, but nothing major.

I see that I have some PM's and posts to reply to, and I hope to be able to get to them before Christmas, but if not, I will reply to them asap.

Happy holidays everyone, and have a great Christmas, talk to you soon! Thank you guys!"

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Here's the latest from Dan:

"Hey everyone! So this is where we are with VS. I have been quietly working on VS 5.0 in the background for a month or two. You know the old saying about code: make it run, make it run right, make it run fast? Well, here is kind of the rundown of the different versions of VS.

Make it run: Versions 1 & 2
Make it run right: Versions 3 & 4
Make it run fast: Version 5

It has been a very long road, but VS is in a pretty good position now and we need to keep it as light as possible, and not make unnecessary changes or add unnecessary features. Having said that… there is a new machine learning platform that has come a very long way the last few months that I have been playing with, and it looks like I am going to be able to integrate it into VS, and that it will run locally and super, super fast. So the slight pause that users experience sometimes when VS blocks a new item should be fixed. It is not a huge deal because most of the time VoodooAi has already analyzed the file, and it simply looks it up in the database… but every little bit of speed helps. For new, unknown files, it will make a huge difference. Anyway, I wanted to wait to mention this feature before I thought we had a good chance of it working out properly… but it looks like it is going to work out great. There is only one caveat… the new ML/Ai feature will only run on 64 bit systems. For 32 bit systems, it will essentially work the same way it does now, but might be slightly faster because the analysis will occur on our own servers.

There are other things I am going to do to speed up VS, but the local ML/Ai feature is the most important one. As you guys know, VS already runs quite fast… but I want it to be lightning fast at all times.

If anyone has any ideas for new features, please either post them publicly or send me an email and we can see if everyone agrees that we should add them.

BTW, I have been away lately for several reasons. Some were personal reasons, and some had to do with VS. To make a very, very long story short… since the beginning, I have always wanted to try to make VS “Free” to everyone (this does not necessarily mean open-source, but then again it might… it depends on the scenario). That is, I have believed for a very long time that every web connected device should automatically toggle to a higher security posture when the user is engaging in risky activities. For the exact same reason that Times Square in New York requires a more aggressive security posture on New Year’s Eve, every web connected device should toggle to a more aggressive security posture when the user is engaging in risky activities. A fulltime lockdown is too aggressive and not locking the computer when it is at risk is reckless.

Anyway, we have a few different opportunities where will might be able to make VS “Free” to everyone. I have already checked with the investors, and they are okay with not “billionizing”, and instead of trying to make every last dollar possible, actually focus on doing something good, simply because it is the right thing to do.

One thing is for sure, there has never been a security product that is divisive as VS. That was never my intention. All I wanted to do was to “lock the computer when it was at risk.” As most of you guys know, I have been continually stalked, threatened and harassed for several years now, and it does not look like they are going to stop anytime soon. It’s cool with me that they keep it up… people become intrigued with VS and want to try it… and when they do, most of them fall in love with it. So in the end, if I am able to make it “Free” to the world, it will be my pleasure.

I will know in the next week or two if the new ML/Ai local feature is going to work out or not, and I will let you guys know. Once I start training the machines, I will be able to respond to everyone, and we can discuss any new features or tweaks that you guys come up with.

Thank you guys!"

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I remember Dan first posting on this forum at the very start of VS he's a great guy who listens to his users and works hard to create a great product. The people who have publicly attacked and/or belittled him should hold their heads in shame Dan has actually contributed something to Computer security, what have they done.

Thanks for the info @oldschool (y)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I remember Dan first posting on this forum at the very start of VS he's a great guy who listens to his users and works hard to create a great product. The people who have publicly attacked and/or belittled him should hold their heads in shame Dan has actually contributed something to Computer security, what have they done.

Thanks for the info @oldschool (y)
The main voices that criticized Dan and/or VoodooShield are no longer members of this forum. So let's all bury the axe and move on.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
I agree with shmu: dan has been criticized and banned over at the " other " security forum as well. Dan really has come a long way with his product and is very active in feeback and help of it's users , imho it should be a fair question directed to the staff if Dan could rejoin MT so that we all can conrtibute for more input in VOODOOSHIELD , so it can become a gem.

erreale

Level 9
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016
The main voices that criticized Dan and/or VoodooShield are no longer members of this forum. So let's all bury the axe and move on.

Those who criticize VS do it for the sole pleasure of doing so and to destabilize the dynamics within a forum. (troll?) They are the same ones who criticize WV, and any software that does not satisfy their sympathies. Who today criticizes VS, tomorrow will do it with some other software, only for the morbid taste of being against the tide. That said .... they are still here.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Dan is always working hard. I commend his hard work and I am always referring folks at fairly large companies to try out the software. I know of a few companies (some I cannot speak of) who are starting to really take notice of his software. I'm part of a Information Technology Management Association and the members are really geeked about Dan's work.

Dan, I'm sure your probably still reading here at MT keep up the good work!

~Brian

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Those who criticize VS do it for the sole pleasure of doing so and to destabilize the dynamics within a forum. (troll?) They are the same ones who criticize WV, and any software that does not satisfy their sympathies. Who today criticizes VS, tomorrow will do it with some other software, only for the morbid taste of being against the tide. That said .... they are still here.
Umm, let's drop the battle cries and bury the hatchet. You may not be aware of certain recent changes in the forum membership.

IkariGradius

Level 2
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
I've had the occasion to use VoodooShield several times over the years, and it is an amazing product. The free version is enough for me but i'll probably buy the paid version to support this incredible product. I also have a lot of respect for Dan's work.

When seeing the impressive work made by one person on VoodooShield and how Emsisoft and their 40 employees "only" have made one of the best AV out there, i just can't help to wonder: what the hell are these big corporations, their billions of revenue and thousands of employees doing ?

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Here's an update from Dan. Enjoy!

"Hey everyone! Once again, sorry for the delay, here is a quick update.

Here is 4.99 beta2. There are a few minor bug fixes and one somewhat major fix. For some time now, a few users have been experiencing an issue where VS does not start when the computer is rebooted. I was at a client’s office fixing his computer, and I noticed that his computer took an extra long time to boot, and also noticed that the VS driver did not initialize correctly, so I knew what the issue was immediately. VS had a 1 minute timeout on the driver initialization, so I simply chanced the 1 to a 3, and we should be good to go now.

www.voodooshield.com/Download/InstallVoodooShield499beta2.exe
SHA256: 5803785304a3d970b5851ee748ed8ef67ac1bee188c9c91bc0710228ffdcec79 ..."

You may read his entire post over @ COU: VoodooShield v4 STABLE Thread

He included these two links in his post. They are worth checking out!

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.