VoodooShield Latest

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Here's the latest from Dan @ VoodooForums:

Geri123:So far VS 5.03 feels a bit faster than VS 5.02 for me. (Could still be my imagination )
Each version has small optimization tweaks, so yeah, it is not your imagination ;).

• November 7, 2019 at 3:07 pm

Dan

Keymaster
US

Here is 5.04, it should be good to go for public release. I made significant changes to the User Prompt, but I do not believe there will be any additional bugs as a result of the changes. But if you guys do find anything, please let me know and I will fix them, thank you!

http://www.voodooshield.com/Download/InstallVoodooShield504.exe
SHA256: ab2b4b75a31aa8353ee6a85d19bfdb6cc10603aa572c4c3f4c7aede7e5bb6f57

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Bad guys can mock the security offered by anyone.

True story. An inspired, well funded, intelligent actor will find a way. Even if they have to wait for a weakness to reveal itself, they'll find a way.

Best advice I give is, anything super critical go out of your way to protect. Anything else? Work under the assumption it can, will or already is compromised. But someone will run themselves ragged worrying about such matters and will keep switching security products, spending money, and ultimately for what in the end? A totally insecure OS and hardware environment with already built-in backdoors, exploits and workarounds waiting to be put into action.

I suppose if you want something seriously secure, buy an older laptop, flash it with Libreboot, toss Trisquel OS on it, and you really can forget about any issues at all. (from anyone) Free to take it anywhere and connect/work in complete safety.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Windows is insecure by default since it's creation, why?
1- you are on admin account by default and will run almost everything on high privileges. Totally insane. Even SUA is just an admin account stripped of some privileges, not really a separate account.
2- too many useless services, interpreters and executables (LOLbins/LOLscripts) present by default which aren't even needed by average Joe.
3- it is popular and like any popular OS, it is more targeted.

Now, like me you can limit attack vectors by using built-in features (GPO, SRP, Applocker, etc...) or 3rd party security softs, most will be default-deny mechanism.
But all this will be useless if a dedicated attacker find kernel exploits (like Eternalblue) which can only be eradicated via an OS patch and nothing else.
Reason all security vendors never mentioned about stopping kernel exploit is just because they can't protect you against it, and if one say it does, be sure it is just blatant marketing BS.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Today's latest:

Hey guys, we are getting very close! Here is the latest version… there are just a few things that I need to finish up, like the new artwork on the How It Works form, and I also need to finish the Windows Firewall feature. It is all ready to go, but I don’t want to actually automatically add rules until we are sure all of the bugs are fixed, because believe me, as many changes as there were in this version, there are most likely be a few small bugs.

There are way too many changes under the hood and with the WLC implementation for me to describe, that it is probably best for you guys to just try it and see. A few small things though, I removed the Advanced Snapshot feature for a lot of reasons. First, we really need to get back to our roots and focus on VS’s proprietary tiny, customized whitelist… that really is what VS is all about. The whole goal is to offer the smallest attack surface in the industry. Also, there is no reason to analyze thousands of files with WLC.
Also, brand new whitelists will be automatically generated and scanned with WLC. Again, the whole goal is to keep the whitelist as small as possible. Then again, with WLC and the other features we have implemented the last year or so, unwanted blocks should be pretty much non-existent.
I hope to catch up on the posts here soon… it is great to see you “old guys” 😉.

https://voodooshield.com/Download/InstallVoodooShield550beta.exe
SHA-256: bd85bc201c7f70c9677edb89cad73a85d0e3ed55e1f92507e9f4178dee53bdd0

And yes, I would uninstall the standalone version of WLC now 😉.
Thank you guys, have a great weekend!

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
this version is not playing well with my system at all. shows no internet connection

Do you use Windows Firewall or something else? You may need to make a special exception like I did.

This version appears to have integrated Whitelist Cloud completely and many users are reporting issues. I had to uninstall it because it was just scanning apps non-stop. Personally, I preferred the partial integration of WLC in the last version and it looks like Dan has gone all out for it instead.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
could you right click on the icon and then click exit and see if you get the exception I get?
View attachment 230251
I can right click on the VS icon and exit without any problems.
Maybe a clean install of the latest VS will solves it?
https://voodooshield.com/Download/InstallVoodooShield550beta.exe
SHA-256: bd85bc201c7f70c9677edb89cad73a85d0e3ed55e1f92507e9f4178dee53bdd0
I have it installed on Windows 10 1909 with Ziggo Safe Online (= F-Secure Safe) 17.7.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.