What can you say about running two cloud antivirus?

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
It seems like you already have a signature, almost fully efficient AV (ESET NOD32, although it's nowhere close a full-blown ISS). You could use Comodo FW, if your system can handle it. I personally recommend you to use both Webroot and Panda, unless you're having performance issues. Is signature-based-AV dead? No. A good antivirus is much more beyond signature testing. HIPS, BB, heuristics, community 'cloud' (that is, like Kaspersky's "Secure Network"), good Firewall, runtime packers/auto-exctraciting packers scan, automatic removable media scan (when it's plugged, on the fly).

Do I recommend ESET 8 Beta? I do, if you want the latest, but not trouble-free, technology.. Do I participate personally on public BETAs? Nope. -- If you're a programmer, you'll know how hard it is to code bug-free code, that is portable, that is an antivirus keeping in mind all about hooks, registry, thread-handling, and especially if it's written in a language like C, where DDD -- Deadly Diamond of Death -- is supported, and multiple-threading horror -- , and that is a BETA....it all feels wrong to me. If you uninstall it only because its interface (and i.e., it's not conflicting with your current system.) then it's your choice.

In short, if you like having two cloud AVs, keep it that way. Keep a full-proof antivirus also. But make sure to not overkill. It depends on your habits, your knowledge, your patience, your system. I am a computer scientist, I only use ESET smart security (7, stable), Roguekiller (log-analyze), Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit/Anti-Malware Pro, Panda Cloud AV and my minor web add-ons for security. On the other hand, my father, a complete computer science illetrate, uses about four cloud AVs, two antiviruses, one Sandbox, MBAM, MBAE and Comodo Firewall. I don't know how he manages to keep the system from crashing....

Edit : Fixed a grammatical error.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have Panda Free Antivirus running on one of the Windows 8 PCs, but I have yet to dig around testing it.
- Admin account with UAC on default
- Windows Firewall on default for Home network
- Internet Explorer with EPM and File Download: Disabled for Trusted Sites.
- Unchecky for any programs installed via an external medium, or any self-update-able software

No comment on using it alongside another Cloud AV, but I would consider installing ESET Online Scanner for full virus definitions for on-demand scans of the PC - of course it won't be in real-time, so ZERO conflicts and saves on resource usage.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
It seems like you already have a signature, almost fully efficient AV (ESET NOD32, although it's nowhere close a full-blown ISS). You could use Comodo FW, if your system can handle it. I personally recommend you to use both Webroot and Panda, unless you're having performance issues. Is signature-based-AV dead? No. A good antivirus is much more beyond signature testing. HIPS, BB, heuristics, community 'cloud' (that is, like Kaspersky's "Secure Network"), good Firewall, runtime packers/auto-exctraciting packers scan, automatic removable media scan (when it's plugged, on the fly).

Do I recommend ESET 8 Beta? I do, if you want the latest, but not trouble-free, technology.. Do I participate personally on public BETAs? Nope. -- If you're a programmer, you'll know how hard it is to code bug-free code, that is portable, that is an antivirus keeping in mind all about hooks, registry, thread-handling, and especially if it's written in a language like C, where DDD -- Deadly Diamond of Death -- is supported, and multiple-threading horror -- , and that is a BETA....it all feels wrong to me. If you uninstall it only because its interface (and i.e., it's not conflicting with your current system.

In short, if you like having two cloud AVs, keep it that way. Keep a full-proof antivirus also. But make sure to not overkill. It depends on your habits, your knowledge, your patience, your system. I am a computer scientist, I only use ESET smart security (7, stable), Roguekiller (log-analyze), Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit/Anti-Malware Pro, Panda Cloud AV and my minor web add-ons for security. On the other hand, my father, a complete computer science illetrate, uses about four cloud AVs, two antiviruses, one Sandbox, MBAM, MBAE and Comodo Firewall. I don't know how he manages to keep the system from crashing...
The "only problems" I notice when using two AVs are: that the UAC prompt does not anymore make the screen dim. But upon uninstallation of one AV, it will dim again. Second, the task manager no longer prompts the UAC, though UAC is set to max. Emsi Emergency Kit manages to find incorrect registry entries, including settings.disabletaskmanager like stuff. Upon uninstallation and reboot, my system works fine again. But between the AVs themselves, no conflicts whatsoever.
I have tested ESET 8 for a week, very much stable. I think I would return to ESET after getting TIRED of testing AVs. In my testings, only Webroot and ESET causes the minimum amount of read/write processes on the hard drive - which I like: no lags, extends the life of my HDD.

Thanks much for your input. Right now installing the overlooked unpopular ZoneAlarm that uses Kaspersky's engine.

Reactions: Rahadian Putra

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I have Panda Free Antivirus running on one of the Windows 8 PCs, but I have yet to dig around testing it.
- Admin account with UAC on default
- Windows Firewall on default for Home network
- Internet Explorer with EPM and File Download: Disabled for Trusted Sites.
- Unchecky for any programs installed via an external medium, or any self-update-able software

No comment on using it alongside another Cloud AV, but I would consider installing ESET Online Scanner for full virus definitions for on-demand scans of the PC - of course it won't be in real-time, so ZERO conflicts and saves on resource usage.
Thanks.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
I don't see the point of installing 2 AV with real-time protection on same PC. There is a high chance to make your system unstable

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Don't forget Webroot also can run well even it's solo, especially if you always stay online (which I believe people mostly online nowadays)
I have no idea about running two cloud Av, never tested it before, but if I would..I'd like to run it along with qihoo IS (just qihoo cloud engine and QVM) I tested running webroot along KAV, its fine..no slow down.,BSOCD crash etc, I also try to run it along with avast free is also fine, but with panda? I have no idea, however if you think you are fine then there is no need to worry :)

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
The "only problems" I notice when using two AVs are: that the UAC prompt does not anymore make the screen dim. But upon uninstallation of one AV, it will dim again. Second, the task manager no longer prompts the UAC, though UAC is set to max. Emsi Emergency Kit manages to find incorrect registry entries, including settings.disabletaskmanager like stuff. Upon uninstallation and reboot, my system works fine again. But between the AVs themselves, no conflicts whatsoever.
I have tested ESET 8 for a week, very much stable. I think I would return to ESET after getting TIRED of testing AVs. In my testings, only Webroot and ESET causes the minimum amount of read/write processes on the hard drive - which I like: no lags, extends the life of my HDD.

Thanks much for your input. Right now installing the overlooked unpopular ZoneAlarm that uses Kaspersky's engine.
Then it is a, as far as I can tell without having physical access to your system, bad sign. Why? Because when two antiviruses modify registries (which makes minor yet drastic changes), it is generally a sign of conflict. I personally recommend you to use ESET 8 when it's out stable. No matter how stable a BETA is, every computer scientist knows no code is perfect, even in its Alpha state, because it never will be perfect.

And as of ZoneAlaram, I never really used it. Lots of bad reviews (although I know they're generally fake), henceforth I cannot recommend nor disapprove its use. However, if it does meet your requirements, then you're good to go. My personal experience with Kaspersky hasn't been too good. It's too resource heavy, too much RAM-usage and too much 'features'. They don't keep it simple. Just like the vBulletin forum software, there are too many half-baked features. Do I want an advertisement banner? No, I do have Adblock. Do I want a "two-way" firewall? No, I don't even know what that means in technical terms. Do I want its password manager? No, I use LastPass. It's just not for me. ESET, on the other hand, fulfills all of my needs.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Don't forget Webroot also can run well even it's solo, especially if you always stay online (which I believe people mostly online nowadays)
I have no idea about running two cloud Av, never tested it before, but if I would..I'd like to run it along with qihoo IS (just qihoo cloud engine and QVM) I tested running webroot along KAV, its fine..no slow down.,BSOCD crash etc, I also try to run it along with avast free is also fine, but with panda? I have no idea, however if you think you are fine then there is no need to worry :)
Yesterday I was running Webroot with KAV... no slowdowns too.

Reactions: Rahadian Putra

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Then it is a, as far as I can tell without having physical access to your system, bad sign. Why? Because when two antiviruses modify registries (which makes minor yet drastic changes), it is generally a sign of conflict. I personally recommend you to use ESET 8 when it's out stable. No matter how stable a BETA is, every computer scientist knows no code is perfect, even in its Alpha state, because it never will be perfect.

And as of ZoneAlaram, I never really used it. Lots of bad reviews (although I know they're generally fake), henceforth I cannot recommend nor disapprove its use. However, if it does meet your requirements, then you're good to go. My personal experience with Kaspersky hasn't been too good. It's too resource heavy, too much RAM-usage and too much 'features'. They don't keep it simple. Just like the vBulletin forum software, there are too many half-baked features. Do I want an advertisement banner? No, I do have Adblock. Do I want a "two-way" firewall? No, I don't even know what that means in technical terms. Do I want its password manager? No, I use LastPass. It's just not for me. ESET, on the other hand, fulfills all of my needs.
Yes, I agree. ESET is simple, fast, light, and efficient.

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.