• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 69673
  • Start date

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Been over 100°F here for like 5 days straight, and just below for a couple weeks. Kinda hard to sleep these days

View attachment 277339
no air-conditioned bedroom? Been hotter longer here, but our home, most houses here fully AC, but wonder how people lived here before AC, every summer it's 100F+ here, this year more of those in a row.

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
I am hating this heat! My June 11th to July 11th electric bill was $485. The highest I've ever paid.

I keep downstairs at 74 and upstairs at 78. At night I lower downstairs to 72 and upstairs to 76. I have to keep those temps or else the humidity raises to above 68% and I start experiencing mold growth. Never ever ever purchase a Lennar built home!

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I am hating this heat! My June 11th to July 11th electric bill was $485. The highest I've ever paid.

I keep downstairs at 74 and upstairs at 78. At night I lower downstairs to 72 and upstairs to 76. I have to keep those temps or else the humidity raises to above 68% and I start experiencing mold growth. Never ever ever purchase a Lennar built home!
Our electric bill is about the same during the summer, we keep night time AC temp at 78F, daytime 79-80F. We're comfortable enough.

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
no air-conditioned bedroom? Been hotter longer here, but our home, most houses here fully AC, but wonder how people lived here before AC, every summer it's 100F+ here, this year more of those in a row.
It's dry here in New Mexico so we use evaporative coolers. They work well until about 100 when it's dry, and then the house is 80+ no matter how low the humidity is. I would love to get an AC, but the evaporative coolers are much less expensive and since you have to have a full installation for an AC it's pretty expensive to switch.

If it starts getting rainy and over 90, the evaporative coolers are basically worthless.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It's dry here in New Mexico so we use evaporative coolers. They work well until about 100 when it's dry, and then the house is 80+ no matter how low the humidity is. I would love to get an AC, but the evaporative coolers are much less expensive and since you have to have a full installation for an AC it's pretty expensive to switch.

If it starts getting rainy and over 90, the evaporative coolers are basically worthless.
I've been in New Mexico, I liked it. I'm in South Texas closer to Gulf. Humid but not as bad as New Orleans for some reason. Mostly we have wind and weather off the Gulf but sometimes we get a nice dry Northwest wind from New Mexico, delightful.

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
@wat0114 , How are you and others in Canada doing with all the smoke? It's odd that you hear alot about how it's affecting us in the US but nothing about Canadians.

Back in May, Northern Alberta was hit hard with wildfires, so in the southern part of the province where I live the smoke was heavy for several days, with the air quality at times at 7-10+, so really quite toxic levels. The first few days I was feeling the effects with mild headaches, fatigue and stinging eyes. I had to purchase N95 masks to mitigate the effects.

Since then, not too bad, although last week we had some moderate levels of smoke coming from British Columbia. There are currently 370 fires in B.C. now, and already a record nearly 1.4 million hectares have burned this year.

edit

Sorry, those numbers were as of July 17. Not sure about current.

bc wildfires.png

Last edited:

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
Few years from now we will have to explain to our kids that "baby it's cold outside" might seem weird right now but it was just a product of it's time.

You see it used to get cold outside.

• Hundred Points
Reactions: vtqhtr413

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
We in New York City are going to get some of that high heat in a couple of days. Gosh I can't wait!! Not.

Is everyone personally feeling some kind of effect from "climate change"?

In one year, central Brooklyn is supposed to get 20-22-in/50+ cm of snow. In the past TWO years, we have gotten like two or three dustings in grassy areas. Less than half an inch. In two years. 🙁

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023

When we moved from MN to New Mexico, that was one of two things we learned about, "swamp" coolers and no (very few?) basements.

nicolaasjan

Level 3
May 29, 2023
Is everyone personally feeling some kind of effect from "climate change"?
Not at the moment here in The Netherlands.
14°C and we just got some rain and thunder. :)

But there are much more extremes during the year.
July 5 we had a near hurricane with record wind speeds, peaking to 145km/h. Never happened before this time of the year.
Thousands of trees fell.

The very severe storm deepened rapidly (>10 mb in 12 hours), also called a RACY (Rapid Cyclogenesis). In this RACY, a stingjet occurred, with wind speeds higher than in the surrounding portions in the low pressure area. A stingjet usually finds itself localized, so very localized wind gusts of nearly 150 km were measured.

Fortunately, we are quite well protected here against storm surges and sea level rise thanks to the "Delta Works" that started after a devastating storm in 1953.

Last edited:

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
When we moved from MN to New Mexico, that was one of two things we learned about, "swamp" coolers and no (very few?) basements.
I loved living in Albuquerque! One of the best 4 years of my life.

I lived right off Eubank, close to the Sandia Tram.

Loved when it snowed and I loved the scent of Pinon wood being burnt in fall. Very very aromatic scent that filled the chill air.

ABQ was a perfect middle ground between driving to WSMR and Los Alamos. Both of which I frequented on more than a weekly basis.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Right now, the weather's been the nicest most pleasant it's been in recent memory. Under the expected highs with relatively comfortable humidity levels. That means no AC with an electric bill that's easier to take, you know?

But I read about this in Germany--whack-o, right? Unreal.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Right now, the weather's been the nicest most pleasant it's been in recent memory. Under the expected highs with relatively comfortable humidity levels. That means no AC with an electric bill that's easier to take, you know?

But I read about this in Germany--whack-o, right? Unreal.

Germany? Pfff, that's nothing! Last month, the weather in Croatia was... to say wild would be an underestimation. We had extremely hot days (up to 40°C) and after a week, constant storms with hail. I'll never forget 19.07.; huge storm with heavy rainfall, somewhere with hail and obligatory wind gusts up to 120 km/h. It might be the strongest storm ever recorded in Northern Croatia and Slavonia. Or even in this part of the Balkans.
When the wind started blowing, it really looked like tornado was coming. There was so much damage in the city that scars are still visible today. Storm made severe damage in Italy, Slovenia, Croatia and then went to Serbia where it wreck havoc too. I never saw anything like that before. Ever since then, pretty much everyone follows radar images daily, and finally as of yesterday, we started getting warnings for extreme weather and other emergencies.

This week, it's raining constantly. Massive floods in Slovenia; two thirds of the country is underwater. We sent help there because situation is very, very bad. Even here a lot of villages is flooded, but situation is nowhere near as bad as in Slovenia. Zagreb would be flooded too if authorities didn't redirect the flow of Sava by opening the channel. We're all just shocked. We expected that after really hot days, hail and storm would come (as it always does), but never expected so extreme weather.

Anyway, now is around 17°C and relatively calm, but the new storm is forecasted for tomorrow. Meteoalarm is constanly on and changing colors every few hours. Weather started to be so unpredictable...

Last edited:

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
We’ve been hitting record highs daily in New Mexico again after a week of reprieve. Over 100°F the last 3 days in my area. Looks to cool off this week to the low to mid 90s. My Amazon fire sticks are thermal throttling in the afternoon despite our evaporative coolers running full blast most of the day. I thought apps were broken and then felt the dongle and holy sh*^ it was hot!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.