Advice Request What software have you bought and don't regret!?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Curious to know the reason behind IDA Pro.
I use it because there is a Check for update option, where you can right click on a downloaded file and if a newer version of the file is available online, it will download it and replace the previous download. I can click on one my download folders in IDM, press Ctrl A to select all of the files and then right click and select Check for update, or press Ctrl S and it will check every file in that folder for updates and download any it finds.

IDA.png

I was previously doing this with FlashGet. But the feature was removed in version 3 and the old 2.x releases are fairly buggy.

IDA is not particularly fast at downloading files. But I mostly use it to check for updates, rather than to speed up downloading.

I'm not aware of any other download managers which have a similar feature.

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
I bought a year subscription for Bitdefender Total Security for twenty bucks. I tried it before and it wouldn't let my computer update, but for $20.00 you can't go wrong. I set it up and I don't even realise it's there. It's light, so far loving it. Very pleasantly surprised.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
What are v3 implications?
One of the proposed changes in v3 is to deprecate a very powerful API called blocking webRequest. This API gives extensions the ability to intercept all inbound and outbound traffic from the browser, and then block, redirect or modify that traffic.

In its place, Google has proposed an API called declarativeNetRequest. This API impacts the capabilities of content blocking extensions by limiting the number of rules, as well as available filters and actions. These limitations negatively impact content blockers because modern content blockers are very sophisticated and employ layers of algorithms to not only detect and block ads, but to hide from the ad networks themselves. Extensions would still be able to use webRequest but only to observe requests, not to modify or block them.

As a result, some content blocking extension developers have stated they can no longer maintain their add-on if Google decides to follow through with their plans. Those who do continue development may not be able to provide the same level of capability for their users.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I don't regret not buying any commercial software. 99% of the time, there's always a great free alternative to a commercial software that fits my needs. Most of the time a basic home user don't use the niche feature set that a commercial software provides and unncessarily pays for it. A really good example is Microsoft Word, when it's free alternatives are just as outstanding that fits their needs.

There are some Android apps that I have paid for, to support development, but that's just about it.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
I use certain programs, if I find them useful, I buy them. In particular, one-man coders who make high-quality programs need support. They have bills to pay as well.

"Only coders do it with a Routine". If you know what i mean. ;)

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
Hi, One more Program I don't have mentioned is Windows Repair Pro from Tweaking.com it is also a lifesaver, I have had my share of problems with Windows over the years, and this program: you just run the setting that represents your problem and this software will 90% of the incidents fix your problem, not in no time, it can take up to several hours, depending on how much you have on your drives, and of course, the nature of the problem, check it out there is a free version too. :love: (y)

vaccineboy

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2018
  • 360 Total Security Premium
  • BulletVPN lifetime license
  • EaseUS Partition Master Pro lifetime license
  • Internet Download Accelerator Pro
  • SoftMaker Office 2018
I may think of more later.
Hi, can you download HLS videos with IDA?
I'm thinking of buying it but it seems it can't catch HLS stream. The only thing that is successful for me right now is Video Download Helper.

Reactions: roger_m and Cortex

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.