What was your first antivirus?

Butterfly

Level 3
Verified
Jul 28, 2015
My first was ESET Smart Security version 4.0 If my memory of the gui is right, it came with my pc and had a 1 year license, when that year ended I saw it stopped working and then started looking into other AVs. That was actually also the time when I discovered the wonderful world of internet security. :D

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
GUI is the same concept prior to V3 :) V3 is when they introduced smart security (oh the up roar that followed after the release of v3...)
Prior to version 3 EAV had a cult like following probably still does in some way.Version 3 was a big deal I stayed with version 2 for a while until the Chinese started handing out 90 day keys like Halloween candy.I still have some of those codes somewhere that still work but it would probably take me a while to find them :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Mine would of had to be Trend Micro (aka PC-Cillin) and it was a 5 users one year and to this day I'm still using their products. I've used other products but always keep coming back to Trend Micro. It's something about the program I love. haha :)
When it comes to mobile started off with Avast, then moved to Trend Micro.

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
My first antivirus was Norton Internet Security 2003 that was pre installed on my old Xp.
I wasn't new to computers back then as I had my my first pc back in 1988 (386 Machine),
but my first internet enabled pc was in 2003.

A

Alkajak

The first one I use was Symantec. Like this.
symantec-live-update.jpg

For me as well.

milas

Level 2
Verified
Mar 1, 2016
I started out with Symantec. For 5 years I bought Symantec then had enough with Symantec/Norton because I crashed my OS so much that Norton would only allow me so many re-installs before they blocked anymore installations from CD. (2000-2005 aprox.) Then I went to Panda AV for a couple of years..then tried many others like AVG, Avast,.tried them all.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
2003 is when I heavily messed with computers. Mostly for Age of Empires (man I was obsessed with that game). First AV that I remember is AVG so probably was that. Many schools in my state use AVG (did it's job considering no computers were infected). First AV I installed myself was Comodo IS.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.