Question Which VPN service would you recommend? Why?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN would you recommend?

• CyberGhost VPN

Votes: 24 7.0%
  • Nord VPN

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • F-Secure Freedome VPN

Votes: 29 8.5%
  • ExpressVPN

Votes: 44 12.9%
  • OkayFreedom VPN

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Hide My Ass VPN

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • PureVPN

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • TorGuard VPN

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • IPVanish VPN

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 153 44.9%

• Total voters

_17410742

Dec 26, 2021
for 2021 I use AVG Secure Connect but also recomend F-Secure Freedome.
Yikes.

AVG log the following > Server IP, Connection Timestamps, Bandwidth usage & Server location.
F-secure log even more > Browsing Activity, IP address, Server IP, Connection Timestamps, Bandwidth usage & Server location.

Not all logs are bad logs, they are there to improve their service in most cases, but f-secure in particular is logging far too much here - mainly your IP address & browsing activity.

Consider one of the following:

TorGuard
Hide.Me
Mullvad
NordVPN
Surfshark
PIA (even with their new shady owners, they have not changed their policies or business model - yet)

Questions are still there for many of these, but 4/6 of those are audited & all are holding their reputations/experience to a high standard.

Last edited:

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Yikes.

AVG log the following > Server IP, Connection Timestamps, Bandwidth usage & Server location.
F-secure log even more > Browsing Activity, IP address, Server IP, Connection Timestamps, Bandwidth usage & Server location.

Not all logs are bad logs, they are there to improve their service in most cases, but f-secure in particular is logging far too much here - mainly your IP address & browsing activity.

TorGuard
Hide.Me
Mullvad
NordVPN
Surfshark
PIA (even with their new shady owners, they have not changed their policies or business model - yet)

Questions are still there for many of these, but 4/6 of those are audited & all are holding their reputations/experience to a high standard.
Between PIA and Cyberghost, which one you recommend most and why? Both are owned by the same company.

Reactions: Nevi

_17410742

Dec 26, 2021
Between PIA and Cyberghost, which one you recommend most and why? Both are owned by the same company.

Both have pretty solid policies, PIA don't log anything, even on the 'helping our service/website' side - whereas cyberghost only aggregate time stamp collection & have a better jurisdiction. (aggregation is perfectly fine btw especially for what it is they do collect)

It does bother me a 'little' that all these vpn's do have that KAPE acquisition, but if that doesn't bother you too much, if they do continue to be the same businesses with the same polices - both are pretty solid.

PIA is 10 device
CG is 7 device

both similar on price for their long-term deals, especially right now on their Christmas sales.

Speeds im unsure on PIA vs CG, this could be the deciding factor for you....

Last edited:

icarus

Level 2
Oct 29, 2021
Yikes.

TorGuard
Hide.Me
Mullvad
NordVPN
Surfshark

i think i read befor f-secure keep logs for 90days in youre list i think u must add vypr too software bit slow and kind of buggy but speed and support is good surfshark i dont like it nothing special about it

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
@_17410742 I don't care about logging.
User @Freud2004 said it very well at this post:
"Privacy policies are like love promises, if you want to commit a crime use onion. If you just want to torrenting, any VPN will give you the anonymity that you need."

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Is cloudflares WARP ( free) really an VPN? Fast checking in browserleaks shows that it works like vpn, has tunneling etc . I can get 60/60 mbs download/upload speeds with it .. without im getting 115/65 usually.

Is it worth using? Atleast for mobile devices its decent as you dont need such speeds on mobile as i can get 60mbs on mobile aswell

Well after reading faq i found the reason:

Why has my throughput dropped while using WARP?​

Cloudflare WARP is in part powered by 1.1.1.1, the world's fastest DNS resolver. When visiting sites or going to a new location on the Internet, you should see fast DNS lookups. WARP, however, is built to trade some throughput for enhanced privacy, by encrypting all traffic both to and from your device. While this is not noticeable at most mobile speeds, on desktop systems in countries where high-speed broadband is available, you may notice a drop. We think the tradeoff is worth it and continue to work on improving performance all over the system.

Why is my public IP address sometimes visible?​

Cloudflare WARP Client in WARP mode was meant to ensure all your traffic is kept private between you and the origin server

(that is, the site you are connecting to), but not from the origin itself. In a number of cases, if the origin site you are communicating with cannot determine who you are and where you are from, it cannot serve locale-relevant content to you (that is, anything related to a customized user experience, such as language or regional configurations).

Sites inside Cloudflare network are able to see this information. If a site is showing you your IP address, chances are they are in our network. Most sites outside our network, however, are unable to see this information and instead see the nearest egress server to their server. We are working to see if in the future we can find a way to more easily share this information with a limited number of sites outside Cloudflare's network, where it is relevant to both parties.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadowra and Nevi

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
With CyberGhost, I use its Wireguard, and set the MTU value to Gaming (Large) it gives really better speeds, than setting it in the Auto.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
With CyberGhost, I use its Wireguard, and set the MTU value to Gaming (Large) it gives really better speeds, than setting it in the Auto.

The problem with Cyberghost (as well as ExpressVPN, ZenMate and PIA) is that they belong to Kape Technologie which is a bunch of crabs... (known for distributing adware) ...

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
The problem with Cyberghost (as well as ExpressVPN, ZenMate and PIA) is that they belong to Kape Technologie which is a bunch of crabs... (known for distributing adware) ...
I've been using PIA for almost 10 years now. I've also been using NordVPN for 3 months on multiple computers with my daughter playing and browsing everywhere. PIA works great here, the speed is as good as NordVPN here with us, and both work very well for all of us. I don't know the company that owns PIA, but PIA has shown that they don't log, and this is good enough for me. Private Internet Access (PIA) Review - Can You Trust It? ;)

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
i-dont-often-76e13d8512.jpg

cardenas

Level 1
Verified
May 20, 2019
Kape Technologies, formerly Crossrider; did not distribute adware/malware. Crossrider created a development platform which was used by third parties, both good and bad. Crossrider shut down in 2016 and changed to Kape Technologies in 2018. They've since pivoted towards privacy and security with new leadership, hence the acquisition of several VPN's.

Read more about it here: Taking a Closer Look at Kape Technologies, Crossrider, and Malware

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Kape Technologies, formerly Crossrider; did not distribute adware/malware. Crossrider created a development platform which was used by third parties, both good and bad. Crossrider shut down in 2016 and changed to Kape Technologies in 2018. They've since pivoted towards privacy and security with new leadership, hence the acquisition of several VPN's.

Read more about it here: Taking a Closer Look at Kape Technologies, Crossrider, and Malware
I want to believe, but even if they turned to privacy, their past with Crossrider is still there...
This is my opinion but I would have a hard time trusting it 😉

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
For those who like to know about Kape Technologies

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.