Question Which VPN service would you recommend? Why?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN would you recommend?

• CyberGhost VPN

Votes: 24 7.0%
  • Nord VPN

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • F-Secure Freedome VPN

Votes: 29 8.5%
  • ExpressVPN

Votes: 44 12.9%
  • OkayFreedom VPN

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Hide My Ass VPN

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • PureVPN

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • TorGuard VPN

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • IPVanish VPN

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 153 44.9%

• Total voters

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
If you need a VPN for geolocation any of the popular ones that do streaming services well should work. Whatever is fastest in your area. If you need to ACTUALLY hide activities from prying eyes for safety then you are taking a risk with any company. Maybe a public VPN isn’t ideal in those situations.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
ExpressVPN is INDEED one of the fastest ones and really a good choice for that purpose (y)
For me mostly UI matters than speed. I have been a huge fan of ExpressVPN on how they kept it simple but powerful. I always recommend it to my older age friends.

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
No VPN Provider!

Geo Blocking stuff is uncool no way around that. But those "VPN" providers are the ones overseeing your data!!!

If you want a VPN (Do It Yourself Kits) are here to make your life easier.

Get your own Server Virtual, Cloud or Dedicated and have control over YOUR Data in YOUR Network. ;)
[Example]
- OpenVPN Server -> GitHub - angristan/openvpn-install: Set up your own OpenVPN server on Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS or Arch Linux.
- Wireguard Server -> GitHub - angristan/wireguard-install: WireGuard VPN installer for Linux servers
- Combo with PiHole or even more....

Site to Site VPN is also possible. ^^

Best regards
Val.

Slerion

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
I don't think Bitdefender VPN has Wireguard. I does have Hydra Catapult. I have lifetime licenses for a few other VPN's including Ivacy which does have Wireguard :

View attachment 265723
Huh ivacy does have wireguard now ? last i asked them ( like 3 weeks ago or so ) they said they never will have wireguard , they also heavily censor their subreddit negative and positive stuff.

Reactions: Sammo

Slerion

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
Ivacy added Wireguard with their latest update.
just tested it , freaking fast ! 249mbit download , and 48 upload thats actually my max bandwith awesome , latency are low too and it can connect to programs neither nord or surfshark can.

as Comparisions
( again ivacy ) 249 down 48 up
Bullet VPN 170-250 down 0,5-15 mbit upload
Surfshark 243 down 38 up
Nord 237 down 32 up
FastestVPN 244 down 44 up
Mullvad 232 down 42 up

Iam surprised ivacy really improved their speed over the years.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
After a few days using ProtonVPN for general stuff on home wifi, ExpressVPN is indeed faster. ProtonVPN has trouble loading BBC radio from Australia and has buffering lags once connected. Also experiencing delays with other sites and twice it wouldn’t load this site at all. In the previous 6 months of ExpressVPN I had zero issues, wifi or LTE. I will be interested in ProtonVPN’s LTE performance when put to the test.

However, I would like to point out that ProtonVPN is cheaper than ExpressVPN and includes extra functionality for Protonmail users. ProtonVPN uses Wireguard, OpenVPN(UDP), OpenVPN(TCP) and IKEv2 and switches automatically as required for best/most secure connection. ExpressVPN offers Lightway(UDP), Lightway(TCP) and IKEv2. Lightway is proprietary to ExpressVPN.

Finally, after lots of reading, ProtonVPN seems to be more for ‘the little guy’. I like that and I am prepared to put up with a few delays here and there to support that objective with my cash. But then, I’m fortunate enough to be in a political/financial situation to be all moralistic about such things. Others may not… As said already, personal choice is king here.

Oh, and I don’t stream games so speed isn’t everything to me.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Been having a try with the Adguard VPN lately, frankly, i'm surprised of how good it is.It is not NordVpn or ExpressVpn yet,but it's a well designed product. Works pretty well with streaming and P2P now, compared to a few months ago.Speed is decent.

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
I voted for other, Mullvad.
Mullvad's main purpose is privacy and security. You can clearly see this when companies like Malwarebytes or Mozilla out-source the infrastructure of their VPN service to Mullvad.

I recently got to know that almost all the IP-addresses of Mullvad in the US and UK are consumer IPs. Meaning that you can watch Netflix and such with.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
just tested it , freaking fast ! 249mbit download , and 48 upload thats actually my max bandwith awesome , latency are low too and it can connect to programs neither nord or surfshark can.

as Comparisions
( again ivacy ) 249 down 48 up
Bullet VPN 170-250 down 0,5-15 mbit upload
Surfshark 243 down 38 up
Nord 237 down 32 up
FastestVPN 244 down 44 up
Mullvad 232 down 42 up

Iam surprised ivacy really improved their speed over the years.

I wanted to try Ivacy, but Microsoft Defender removed it (detected as a Trojan downloader)
Is it really safe?

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
No VPN Provider!

Geo Blocking stuff is uncool no way around that. But those "VPN" providers are the ones overseeing your data!!!

If you want a VPN (Do It Yourself Kits) are here to make your life easier.

Get your own Server Virtual, Cloud or Dedicated and have control over YOUR Data in YOUR Network. ;)
[Example]
- OpenVPN Server -> GitHub - angristan/openvpn-install: Set up your own OpenVPN server on Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS or Arch Linux.
- Wireguard Server -> GitHub - angristan/wireguard-install: WireGuard VPN installer for Linux servers
- Combo with PiHole or even more....

Site to Site VPN is also possible. ^^

Best regards
Val.
In this case I would recommend pfSense or even better OPNSense.

You might have privacy by setting up your own VPN server via Wireguard and linux or OpenVPN but the maintenance for the average users will be really difficult and therefore, security of your server will be compromised.

OPNSense is based on Hardened-BSD and it comes with a graphical interface. Updates and maintenance is much more easier and if you are an average user you can easily update it by a single click.

cliffspab

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
I don't think there's one I haven't tried over the last couple of years stuck indoors.

I'd have to say that SurfShark, by far, gives the most for the least. For me it's usually fastest, browser or desktop, unblocks almost all content (shame on you, TorGuard), and has the most patient, helpful customer support.

Mulvad is good value if you don't care about streaming or browser extensions (which i find very useful - Nord and Windscribe are the two best, although SS is just as fast)

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
I use & voted for NordVPN because they really care about the user's privacy & they use only Ram Servers.;)
Be a little cautious as they have proven that they are not 100% honest with their customers sometimes. Back in 2018 they got hacked and for a long time they were denying it . Finally they said that they had had a data breach (more info).

At the moment they seem to be more privacy oriented but personally I would not use them as my daily VPN service.

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
Oh I forgot to mention that there is a new player which has brought a nice concept in comparison to the traditional VPN services... Safing.io

They are an Austrian company and basically they have a firewall like software (Portmaster) and you can use their SPN service for each connection/app.

That means at the same time you can connect to several servers. The good function of this is that you can set the windows update servers to connect to the US for example, FireFox to Switzerland and your download manager to an another server.

They are a little bit pricey though and their software is in the Beta. I have no knowledge if their servers would work with streaming services.

A great alternative is also Mozilla VPN. I am using it in combination with the FireFox containers. It works great as I can load each website through a different server.

Mozilla VPN is using Mullvad infrastructure meaning if Twitch has blocked Mullvad, it will also be blocked for Mozilla VPN. Speed is fine (I got 250Mb/s)...

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.