Who has already played with new W10 security features?

Malware Analysis Archive
194 Replies 44,315 Views

Have you enabled and added folders to secure folder access feature?

  • YEs

    Votes: 27 29.7%
  • No

    Votes: 46 50.5%
  • What ??

    Votes: 18 19.8%

  • Total voters
    91
Here is the test.
I run that .vbs and WDSC block & quarantine file but can't find anything in EV for ASR.
Here are pictures:

View attachment 174784 View attachment 174785
There is no 1121 EventId, so the script was not blocked by ASR. It is clear that Defender's local Artificial Intelligence (not signatures) detected the script as suspicious, because you have very aggressive Defender settings. If you ran the script on the virtual machine where you tested malware, it is possible that local AI learned to block some suspicious behavior. Anyway, the script was not recognized as dangerous after additional analysis in the cloud, so the signature for it was not created (I can still run it).
As for, the ASR rule 'Block JavaScript or VBScript from launching downloaded executable content', it works when one tries to run some script trojan downloaders, but can be easily bypassed. :(
 
Last edited:
Here is the test.
I run that .vbs and WDSC block & quarantine file but can't find anything in EV for ASR.
Here are pictures:
View attachment 174784 View attachment 174785
By the way, why there is a 5007 EvenId present in your Event Log. Have you changed ASR or Controlled Folder Access settings, when testing? I can see a fragment of it, that is related to protected folders. This EventID is also created when adding Exclusions to ASR or Controlled Folder Access rules (generally when the antimalware platform configuration was changed).
Edit.
Post edited.
 
Last edited:
By the way, why there is a 5007 EvenId present in your Event Log. Have you changed ASR or Controlled Folder Access settings, when testing? I can see a fragment of it, that is related to protected folders. This EventID is also created when adding Exclusions to ASR or Controlled Folder Access rules.

Settings for EV are download from Microsoft site (Use Attack surface reduction rules to prevent malware infection) and then imported:

asr.jpg
 
Settings for EV are download from Microsoft site (Use Attack surface reduction rules to prevent malware infection) and then imported:

View attachment 174798
Thanks. I was curious why you had many 5007 EventIds on the log, visible in the posted attachment https://malwaretips.com/attachments/174785/. This is the event: 'MALWAREPROTECTION_CONFIG_CHANGED '
When I ran the scripts, I also had the 5007 EventId, related to adding an exclusion rule for the quarantined script (from my previous post Poll - Who has already played with new W10 security features?).
But anyway, it is not important for ASR test.:)
 
Last edited:
Did anybody test the Defender 'Network Protection' on Windows 10 Pro?
The link SmartScreen Test , should be blocked by this feature when opening in a non-Microsoft browser.
It does not work on my computer. :(
And when I applied 'Network Protection' on the second computer with Windows Home, it worked.:sick:
 
Can we guard the Sandboxie with exploit guard?! I meant to defend Sandboxie from bypass:/ can someone do this and share the settings?
The list of applications that I want to protect:
1-Yandex browser.
2-Sandboxie.
3-PeaZip.
That's enough for me :) I have not enough knowledge to assign rules.
 
Last edited:

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top