shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
In the vast majority of cases that is probably very sound advice, unless you have insights to all of the build 2004 issues.

I checked for 2004 yesterday on a fairly recent i5 desktop, its not available for it yet either. I suspect this has a lot to do with it -

I'm not going to change any of my settings just to suit Microsoft and get 2004 now. I'll wait for them to release a version which can work with all of the options we choose to take up, or not, when setting W10 up in the way that we choose.

If Microsoft are trying to rein in some of the options we have been able to take up until now, that is a different matter. Not that I have any proof that this is the case, its just my long standing cynicism of what big tech companies might really be up to. :cautious:

I've just used the MediaCreationTool to download W10 for a friend's family PC, it got messed around by their kids downloading crap. Windows Explorer amongst other things does not work and they have no recent backup (I've told them many a time to do that regularly! ) :rolleyes:. A brand new install seemed like the best way to go. I had to use MediaCreationTool 2004 on another PC and I've got a version of 2004 for 'a different device', there were no options to choose 1909. The PC in question is quite old and I really doubt whether it will cope with 2004, and vice-versa, or indeed whether it will install properly. Fortunately I have a backed-up copy of 1909 to use. It seems like Microsoft haven't covered all bases with the current download options available yet. I know that the W10 installation process checks for updates etc, I'm not sure if it will rollback to an earlier version of W10 during the install process if it detects that the device is not ready for 2004, and vice-versa. Does anyone know if that happens?

Edit - punctuation error!
If you try a fresh install of 2004, it might work even on a computer that cannot upgrade, even if it is an older computer. You can try 2004, and see if it agrees to install or not. If you already tried, just ignore my post. If not, it's worth a try, so you won't have to go through another painful upgrade in the near future.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
If you try a fresh install of 2004, it might work even on a computer that cannot upgrade, even if it is an older computer. You can try 2004, and see if it agrees to install or not. If you already tried, just ignore my post. If not, it's worth a try, so you won't have to go through another painful upgrade in the near future.
I haven't tried the install yet, thanks for the advice. I'm inclined to go that way and find out whether it works. I've not done it yet as I'm actually backing up their files before taking the plunge, they'll just owe me a better meal in return than if it was just a straight re-install, if I back up what they were advised to do before their PC got zapped!

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I haven't tried the install yet, thanks for the advice. I'm inclined to go that way and find out whether it works. I've not done it yet as I'm actually backing up their files before taking the plunge, they'll just owe me a better meal in return than if it was just a straight re-install, if I back up what they were advised to do before their PC got zapped!
Yes, people are not very diligent about backups. Then they come to us crying. Yesterday someone called me about his external hard drive with 20 years of data stored on it, and it started malfunctioning, and he gave it to someone who reformatted it, and now he wants me to wave my magic wand and restore his data.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Yes, people are not very diligent about backups. Then they come to us crying. Yesterday someone called me about his external hard drive with 20 years of data stored on it, and it started malfunctioning, and he gave it to someone who reformatted it, and now he wants me to wave my magic wand and restore his data.
20 years of data! If you're going to try and get it back for him I just hope its not as much data as I've built up over 20 years - photos, videos music and all the documents.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
20 years of data! If you're going to try and get it back for him I just hope its not as much data as I've built up over 20 years - photos, videos music and all the documents.
I am not going to touch it because if I fail I will just make it worse like the other two guys who tried. He needs professional data recovery services.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Windows 10 2004 upgrade gets blocked due to unsupported settings

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
One of the issues holding back the update, as cited on
is about intel integrated graphics:
"Variable refresh rate not working as expected on devices with Intel iGPU
Intel and Microsoft have found incompatibility issues when using a monitor with Variable refresh rate (VRR) plugged into an Intel integrated graphics processing unit (iGPU) display adapter and Windows 10, version 2004 (the Windows 10 May 2020 Update). Enabling VRR on affected devices will not enable the VRR for games using Direct X 9.

To safeguard your update experience, we have applied a compatibility hold on Windows 10 devices with affected drivers or firmware from being offered Windows 10, version 2004."

But that means the majority of Windows PCs in the world, AFAIK.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The advice to disable internet seems to work. I mounted the ISO and it agrees to install, whereas before, it refused. I am not worried about the Intel GPU issue because I don't have a monitor with variable refresh rate. That's a gaming feature, according to what I read. So I should be okay. If not, Macrium Reflect has my back...

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
The advice to disable internet seems to work. I mounted the ISO and it agrees to install, whereas before, it refused. I am not worried about the Intel GPU issue because I don't have a monitor with variable refresh rate. That's a gaming feature, according to what I read. So I should be okay. If not, Macrium Reflect has my back...

I updated my drivers, downloaded Windows10Upgrade9252.exe; it downloaded the new version of Windows. Then I disabled internet and it worked. I could install version 2004. I had 3 fails before....

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I updated my drivers, downloaded Windows10Upgrade9252.exe; it downloaded the new version of Windows. Then I disabled internet and it worked. I could install version 2004. I had 3 fails before....

I was also able to successfully go through the entire update process by disabling my ethernet connection. The update reenabled it, but that wasn't a problem.

Now my problem is to get the cumulative updates. Windows update ends with an error, no updates installed. When I go by browser to catalog.update.microsoft, in order to manually download it, the page is unavailable. It seems like Windows updates are down right now, at least for my region.

I used an old ISO from a couple months ago, so there must be updates.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I was also able to successfully go through the entire update process by disabling my ethernet connection. The update reenabled it, but that wasn't a problem.

Now my problem is to get the cumulative updates. Windows update ends with an error, no updates installed. When I go by browser to catalog.update.microsoft, in order to manually download it, the page is unavailable. It seems like Windows updates are down right now, at least for my region.

I used an old ISO from a couple months ago, so there must be updates.

I was able to get the cumulative updates ....after the installation...KB4557957 and KB4561600

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
new-about-page.png

Microsoft has started testing the removal of the venerable System control panel on Windows 10 and instead redirecting users to the modern About page.

The System control panel allows users to get a brief overview of the operating system version, network configuration and installed hardware.

Commonly used to determine the Windows 10 version, computer name, and workgroup, and installed CPU and memory, the System control panel has been an often-used tool since it was introduced in Windows NT 3.51 and Windows 95.

As spotted by WindowsLatest, in Windows 10 Insider build 20161, Microsoft is rolling out a change that redirects users to the Windows 10 About page when trying to open the System control panel.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
While Microsoft recently acknowledged the on-demand issue, it looks like the OneDrive app itself is preventing users from upgrading to May 2020 Update. According to reports on Reddit (via Windows Latest), uninstalling the OneDrive app from Windows 10 is allowing users to unblock their systems and install the May 2020 Update.

If you are unable to install May 2020 Update then you can follow the steps below to uninstall OneDrive from your system:
  • Open Start Menu and type 'programs'
  • Click on 'Add or remove programs'
  • Type 'OneDrive' in the search bar under 'Apps & Features'
  • Select 'OneDrive' and click on 'Uninstall' to remove OneDrive from the system
Once done, you can go back to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and click on 'Check for Updates' to download and install Windows 10 May 2020 Update. Once the update is installed, you can head to the Microsoft Store to download and install OneDrive.

edit: @RejZoR you made it! i found you in the comments section

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I've got a few computers on which the update isn't available in Windows Update. There is no message about the update not being available yet, Windows Update just shows that there are no updates available.
This is what I get on a PC here:
Windows Update 1_11 July 2020.png

Clicking on'Check for updates' brings this up:
Windows Update 2_11 July 2020.png

Clicking on 'Learn more' goes to this page:

which starts like this:
Windows Update 3_11 July 2020.png

Under 'Known issues' there are a series of issues going back to May 2020.

Edit - capitilisation typo!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.