New Update Windows 11 22H2 closer to release, lands in the Release channel

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Microsoft says the latest Windows 11 preview build improves update management for IT administrators and fixes several issues leading to app crashes.

The focus of this build's update improvements is to help admins make system restarts after Windows updates are installed more predictable.

"Ensuring consistent and predictable timing of restarts for Windows updates is a key part of a successful update strategy," said Microsoft's Amanda Langowski and Brandon LeBlanc.

To achieve this goal, Microsoft made several changes to the Update Stack Orchestrator, including allowing admins to manually set the number of days before feature and quality updates install automatically.

Windows updates are downloaded and installed without custom restart deadlines as soon as they're offered, but device reboots will only occur outside of active hours.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Microsoft quietly updates Windows 11 22H2 AMD and Intel supported CPUs​

You can view the updated Intel and AMD supported processor list for Windows 11 22H2 at the links below:
An update for Qualcomm CPUs has also been made.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft fixes printing issue blocking Windows 11 22H2 upgrades
Microsoft has fixed a known issue blocking the Windows 11 2022 Update from being offered on systems with printers using Universal Print Class or Microsoft IPP Class drivers because of compatibility issues.

In late September, Redmond added a compatibility hold to block Windows 11 22H2 on affected systems because some installed printers might only allow customers to use the default settings with features like color, 2-sided printing, or higher resolutions.

As revealed over the weekend, Microsoft has come up with a fix that will be delivered automatically in the form of a troubleshooter designed to resolve this issue on impacted devices.

Customers who want to receive the troubleshooter faster should restart the computer and check for updates (more info on Windows 11 troubleshooting is available in this support article).

"Once the issue with the installed printer is resolved, the safeguard should be removed and you should be able to upgrade to Windows 11, version 22H2," the company said in an update published on the Windows health dashboard.

"Please note, if there are no other safeguards that affect your device, it can take up to 48 hours before the upgrade to Windows 11 is offered."

Microsoft advises affected customers not to manually install the Windows 11 2022 Update using the 'Update now' button or Media Creation Tool until the known issue is addressed on their devices and the safeguard is removed.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

AMD fixes infamous black screen issue on Windows 11 22H2 with latest driver​

AMD today has launched its new graphics driver with version 22.10.3. The new driver fixes a black screen issue on Radeon GPUs, something which AMD cards are pretty notorious for. The bug has been fixed on Windows 11 version 22H2, mainly on the latest gen Radeon RX 6000 Navi (RDNA 2) GPUs. Aside from the major bug fix, the driver also adds support for Call of Duty Modern Warfare II, and introduces Radeon Boost support on Dying Light 2.
To download the new AMD driver, head over to the official release notes page on AMD's official site. Since the new 22.10.3 driver is an optional beta update, you'll have to toggle the "Recommended + Optional" choice in case you want to download the driver using the Radeon software.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Windows 11 22H2: network printing switched to RCP over TCP​

Microsoft changed the default print related communication for client server communications in Windows 11 version 22H2.

Systems use RCP over TCP by default on Windows 11 version 22H2 devices and no longer RCP over Named Pipes. The change may affect how Windows devices communicate during printing and printing related operations.

It should not have an impact on most Home setups, where printers are connected directly to a Windows PC. Windows organizations and users who print over a network, e.g., using a dedicated print server or connections to another computer for printing, may have run into issues after upgrading the client to the Windows 11 2022 Update because of the change.

Microsoft states that the switch improves the "overall security of printing in Windows" by enforcing "newer and more secure communication methods". By default, clients and servers listen for incoming connections using RPC over TCP.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Windows 11 22H2 blocked on systems using Xbox Game Bar Capture​

Microsoft is now blocking the Windows 11 2022 Update from being offered on some systems because of compatibility issues with the Xbox Game Bar Capture feature.

On affected devices, users are experiencing issues in which the audio and video are out of sync when capturing gameplay using the Xbox Game Bar app.

"You are more likely to encounter this issue when using the 'Record last 30 seconds' feature when 'Record in the background while I'm playing game' is enabled in Xbox Game Bar," Microsoft explains in a new Windows health dashboard entry.
"Apps which capture or process video files using the same underlying Windows libraries or APIs as Xbox Game Bar might also be affected by this issue."
Until the fix rolls out to all Windows users, Redmond advises customers not to manually install Windows 11 22H2 on affected devices using the Media Creation Tool or the 'Update now' button until the safeguard is removed.

"The safeguard hold is estimated to be removed in mid-November 2022," the company added.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Windows 11 22H2: Upgrade blocker "Audio out of sync through Xbox Game Bar" removed
Microsoft has fixed an issue with the Xbox Game Bar that caused out-of-sync audio output on affected systems in certain situations. There was an upgrade lock to Windows 11 22H2 on these systems. Since the issue has been fixed, Microsoft will remove the upgrade lock on Windows 11 22H2 in mid of November 2022.

czesetfan

Level 3
Dec 3, 2021
Anyone have a problem with this? :unsure:
Redirecting
problem.png

An even better solution. :)(y)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
For all you W11 UI tweakers there is this from @valinet about ExplorerPatcher:
It’s easy: here’s the practical reason I coded ExplorerPatcher, besides a desire to learn more about what goes into making such an application: Windows 11 comes with a newer NT kernel, and a new set of capabilities and shell improvements to complement it. Specifically, what got me interested:

* Support for mounting disks in WSL2
* Support for GPU compute in WSL2
* Support for GUI apps natively in WSL2
* Multi monitor window handling improvements (apps remember where they were sitting when you reconnect displays etc)

The list is not huge, I admit. Thing is, I did not predict the way the program will eventually shape out - I was planning to restore the old UI and basically that’s it. Then came some requests, some smaller improvements I saw fitting, something there and there and next thing I know I was working on this rather full blown, rather complex and hard to maintain mammoth, and learnt a ton more than I was expecting. There wasn’t a roadmap, I just went along with it as time allowed it (I stayed at home, in house all day, every day for a couple of months around this time last year due to Covid spreading like crazy, working from home basically - so yeah, much much more time for this kind of stuff, work was also lighter duty last year, idk). So yeah, pretty much EP is what it is today not necessarily because of the initial goals, so to speak. In hindsight, idk if I’d start again all over; I mean, maybe for the knowledge, but having the knowledge, yeah, idk, it takes too much time to maintain at an adequate level, unfortunately. And maintaining hardly teaches new things, so what’s the benefit in that? At some point I believe there will be a middle ground where the 11 UI will be more usable and adopt and readapt some of the legacy paradigms. Fighting with the upstream is very difficult and prone to frustration.
ExplorerPatcher

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft confirmed another Windows performance issue that is affecting games. The company confirmed the new issue on the Windows 11 version 22H" release health dashboard.

According to the information that Microsoft published, some games and apps "might experience lower than expected performance or stuttering on Windows 11, version 22H2". Microsoft does not provide examples of games or apps affected by the issue, but reveals that games and apps affected by this enable GPU performance debugging inadvertently. The feature is not designed for use on consumer devices.

The company writes:
"Some games and apps might experience lower than expected performance or stuttering on Windows 11, version 22H2. Affected games and apps are inadvertently enabling GPU performance debugging features not meant to be used by consumers."

It is unclear why the debugging feature is enabled by some programs on Windows 11 2022 Update systems. The number of affected games and applications is unknown as well.

Microsoft has put a safeguard hold in place that prevents the upgrade to Windows 11 version 22H2 for affected devices. The company is working on a resolution for the issue.

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Has no one really encountered the distracting black/white frame around the first option when opening different windows? :unsure::(
Never noticed it till I checked just for fun. I had one but the next 20+ openings there was nothing.

But for me win 11 22H2 can't keep the right time. The clock is always 1h late Oo. I tried sync, sync with different server, manual time, auto time and auto daylight zone....
But on the next day the pc is again 1hour wrong (cmos battery was also replaced). The time isn't random wrong it 1h late. Never had that with win 10 :(
The right timezone is of course chosen.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017

czesetfan

Level 3
Dec 3, 2021
And in the Office app settings, do you see black button borders? I've noticed it on all my computers.
I'm worried if it's intentional, but it's very unaesthetic and disrupts the design experience. For "hidden" settings items it doesn't matter so much, but in the main Windows GUI? That's why I don't understand it and am looking for more information. :unsure:
Haven't you come across this topic on other forums?

Reactions: oldschool

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
I should stop reading your posts the more I check the more broken win 11 seems

:D

I only use the pc for internet, e-mail and gaming. I rarely use any MS tools/apps at all so I would never notice stuff not obviously broken (like my clock).

Untitled - Copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

czesetfan

Level 3
Dec 3, 2021
More examples of dark borders:
BlackBorder10.png
BlackBorder11.png

Do you all have it right or not? :unsure:
Isn't there an option in the settings ⚙️ somewhere to "Highlight the first option?"

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.