Advice Request Windows defender ransomware protection - protected files and installation of programs

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Every time i install something new, ransomware protection, the folder protection will notify me with this: (installed new nvidia drivers)
1533222001129.png

The installation will pass and softwares that i install works smoothly, but should i disable this everytime i install something or?
ramr1.png

Sorry about finnish, but i hope someone gets it. New with windows defender

Attachments

• win111.png
    win111.png
    127.9 KB · Views: 297

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Maybe You add Whole System Drive To Protected Folder. That's not a good Idea.
The only thing it blocked , was shortcut on desktop in that case. It says it will protect windows files by default and theres also option to add other files manually

Basically im asking, do i benefit anything to have this option enabled? Or im i fine going without

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Yeah, Defender's ransomware protection is a bit cocky. It will block all shortcuts created on a protected folder. I disabled the whole function a few days after I enabled it.
Are you using some third party ransomware protection or ? Every video i have seen about windows defender is made by having default settings on and mostly its just gets destroyed, not much of worry to keep it on i guess

Reactions: vtqhtr413

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Are you using some third party ransomware protection or ? Every video i have seen about windows defender is made by having default settings on and mostly its just gets destroyed, not much of worry to keep it on i guess
Actually, I'm not using antivirus software, protecting my systems with default-deny solutions. Nevertheless, when I used WD, my configuration was the following:
  • Windows Defender
  • AndyFul's ConfigureDefender (high settings)
  • OSArmor
  • Optional: TrendMicro RansomBuster (folder protection)
This last one I used it for some weeks and uninstalled it, found it unnecessary. Not needed if you're an advanced user tbh.

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Actually, I'm not using antivirus software, protecting my systems with default-deny solutions. Nevertheless, when I used WD, my configuration was the following:

• Windows Defender
  • AndyFul's ConfigureDefender (high settings)
  • OSArmor
  • Optional: TrendMicro RansomBuster (folder protection)
This last one I used it for some weeks and uninstalled it, found it unnecessary. Not needed if you're an advanced user tbh.
Well im using windows defender + SysHardener (max settings). Since SysHardener makes my system less vulnerable to exploits i could still have some decent anti-exe, voodooshield etc

Im gonna keep ransomware protection by defender on from now

Reactions: upnorth

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Controlled folder protection will stop a shortcut from appearing on your desktop when you install new software, and yes, you will get a Windows error message, but in my experience, the software always installs successfully, all you are missing is the desktop shortcut.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Controlled folder protection will stop a shortcut from appearing on your desktop when you install new software, and yes, you will get a Windows error message, but in my experience, the software always installs successfully, all you are missing is the desktop shortcut.
WD Ransomware protection will prevent the creation of shortcuts on the Desktop (by most installers), but one can easily drag the shortcut from the Start menu to the Desktop (if required). There will be also problems when the application installer will try to unpack to the Desktop.

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
To be honest, microsoft is focusing enterprises, students/schools the ransomware protection should be enabled as default without any hassle, to keep whole antivirus software as minimal to tweak for their users, since its brought with os

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Microsoft support admits that there are a lot of bugs with this feature. They got the message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.