Advice Request Windscribe VPN - Question

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Windscribe is good and safe. I recommend the server closest to you and use IKEv2 or WireGuard for best speeds. Windscribe also comes with a DNS ad and malware blocker which is really nice. The developers are active in the community and constantly improving based on feedback. I would trust them any day over NordVPN or ProtonVPN which is not run by the same people as ProtonMail!!!

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Windscribe is good and safe. I recommend the server closest to you and use IKEv2 or WireGuard for best speeds. Windscribe also comes with a DNS ad and malware blocker which is really nice. The developers are active in the community and constantly improving based on feedback. I would trust them any day over NordVPN or ProtonVPN which is not run by the same people as ProtonMail!!!

Hi: I gave Windscribe a try on PC a few days ago, at that time Wireguard was not supported in the desk app - As the person I was checking it for wont be able to manually config Wireguard is it now supported in the app like IVPN & Strong VPN for example? I use Windscribe on my Android TV sometimes but not on this PC.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Hi: I gave Windscribe a try on PC a few days ago, at that time Wireguard was not supported in the desk app - As the person I was checking it for wont be able to manually config Wireguard is it now supported in the app like IVPN & Strong VPN for example? I use Windscribe on my Android TV sometimes but not on this PC.
I don't know about PC and when it's available but it's coming. I use it on Chrome OS and Android. IKEv2 is just as secure and just as fast. I would recommend IKEv2 on Windows since it's a protocol by Microsoft and has kernel level support and hardware acceleration. It has never failed me.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Thanks for the info: I'm on a 350 meg connection which will be upped next month to 520 & option of a GIG (not that bothered about that) & I find Wireguard the only protocol that's up to that speed or higher, IKEv2 is good but not as fast as Wireguard which I use on IVPN & that gives very little loss - I'll keep my eyes open with Windscribe as I have a lifetime licence.

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
Hi, does anyone has tried AtlasVPN, it gives some impressing speeds, especially on the Netherlands servers, I could almost not feel or measure any speed loss & it was on the free version, I am very impressed, I am going to purchase the full version next month.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Thanks for the info: I'm on a 350 meg connection which will be upped next month to 520 & option of a GIG (not that bothered about that) & I find Wireguard the only protocol that's up to that speed or higher, IKEv2 is good but not as fast as Wireguard which I use on IVPN & that gives very little loss - I'll keep my eyes open with Windscribe as I have a lifetime licence.
Ooooh why didn't you say so? OMG a story about Gigabit on Windscribe. I have gigabit Internet too. Windscribe is not on the level of IVPN when it comes to Gigabit bandwidth but it is on that level on ping. It can keep up up to 100 Mbps but beyond that it's capped for me. I am not sure if it's Windscribe or if my ISP is actively discriminating against using Gigabit fiber + VPN because the download speeds seem to be capped to DSL speed while the upload speeds are just as fast as regular Gigabit Internet. My experience is mostly LTE. How well your VPN performs is really dependent on your ISP's relationship with the VPN servers it is pinging. IVPN owns their own servers so they are premium level and not blacklisted.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
If you wish to use streaming Flix etc, IMO Windscribe is by far the easiest to use on a TV, Firestick etc.

Reactions: Protomartyr

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Hi, does anyone has tried AtlasVPN, it gives some impressing speeds, especially on the Netherlands servers, I could almost not feel or measure any speed loss & it was on the free version, I am very impressed, I am going to purchase the full version next month.
No, I haven't tried it. I use EXpressVPN. Did you buy AtlasVPN now?

Reactions: Cortex

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
If you don't want to pay for a VPN you can try Keepsolid, not bad speeds, with the promotions I have this VPN until 2022

KeepSolid VPN Unlimited — Free License for 6 months / Code to register: VPNUTICKCOUPON

1601160135763.png

Reactions: FireHammer

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
No, I also have EkspressVPN+ProtonVPN Plus+BitdefenderVPN Premium.
But I have found a very interesting provider:IVPN.
How do you like to compare ProtonVPN with Express? Which one in your idea is better?
I noticed that there is no option to pay for ProtonVPN with other payment options. But Techlore had a great review of ProtonVPN.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cortex

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Would like to point out OP is looking for free alternative.

if advising paid solutions, mention if they have trial or a free user route.

If discussion is about a specific product, please open a new thread under the correct subforum as opposed to "highjacking" this thread.

Thanks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.