Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Despite the limitations of Manifest V3, AdGuard MV3 still protects against ads and tracking quite well:
  • Blocks requests to trackers proactively
  • Hides banners, social widgets and other annoying elements
  • Blocks adverts on video sharing platforms, including YouTube
Although the experimental extension is not as effective as its predecessor, most users won't feel the difference. The only thing you might notice is ad flickering due to the lag in the application of cosmetic rules.

Our goal with this prototype is to test the new approach and get your feedback. So please, try it out and let us know what can be improved. As usual, this prototype is open source and published on Github. If you have any issue with it or have any suggestion, please post it to Github and we will listen.

By releasing an extension built with Manifest V3 today — first among developers of ad blockers – we can say that we've met the challenge that Google posed to us. There is still a lot of work to be done, but we can already claim that even after the discontinuation of Manifest V2, Google Chrome users will be able to protect themselves from ads and trackers with the AdGuard Browser Extension.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I just tried this new version on Edge, Adguard icon seems to be dark only, what doesn't look easy visible in dark UI of browsers...

#icon.png

For interested users, here are screenshots of settings, it's still possible to add custom filters like to block/remove "cookie notifications"

#1.png

#2.png

#3.png

Virtuoso

Level 2
Feb 21, 2022
There is a lot of difference between MV3 Adguard extension and MV2 Adguard/Ublock Origin extensions. Just compare by running these two tests back to back:

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022
I apologize but I miss the significance of this. Could someone explain it to me like I am 5?

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Adguard MV3 extension is working fine, even blocking youtube Ads. It will also be improved and refined before the Jan 2023 deadline. For those of us who want to stick with Chrome, Adguard MV3 extension will be the best choice in the new Chrome MV3 world.

That's not really true though, is it. There are ad blockers that exist outside the browser itself, as because of that are not forced to stick to the filtering methods implemented by that browser. I'm referring to AdGuard for Windows. Why not just use that, then you no longer have to give two s***s about MV3?

Virtuoso

Level 2
Feb 21, 2022
That's not really true though, is it. There are ad blockers that exist outside the browser itself, as because of that are not forced to stick to the filtering methods implemented by that browser. I'm referring to AdGuard for Windows. Why not just use that, then you no longer have to give two s***s about MV3?

I will not use Adguard desktop for two reasons: firstly it is a paid and closed source software while the extension is free and open source. Secondly it works on the Man-in-the-Middle concept which I and many others on this forum don't like. I do the same with my Antivirus regarding MITM certificate hijacking.

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I will not use Adguard desktop for two reasons: firstly it is a paid and closed source software while the extension is free and open source. Secondly it works on the Man-in-the-Middle concept which I and many others on this forum don't like. I do the same with my Antivirus regarding MITM certificate hijacking.

It might just come down to being the lesser of two evils for you then; a closed source MitM app versus obviously inferior (compared to MV2). That just might be the only two choices there are, if even Firefox chooses to adopt mv3 eventually.

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Interestingly enough, this extension doesn't seem too bad. After installing it and briefly going around to random pages (that sounds completely safe, right?) I'm not seeing any obvious ads except for this one. Obviously, a lot more testing has to be done with this. But my initial impression is "maybe this won't be so bad." This might make a nice pairing with, say, NoScript or DJ NoScript.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.