Avast detects Auslogics Disk Defrag 7.2.0.1 as FileRepMalware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toto_10

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
I restored my parents laptop and wanted to install the latest Auslogics Disk Defrag but Avast blocks the installation file and says it is a FileRepMalware. What does this mean?

I must admit I'm a bit scared :oops:

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017

DJPRMF

Level 1
Sep 26, 2017
Auslogics and Iobit are well know for they adware (and also some shady practices).
I remember when iobit have "steal" some databases from malwarebytes, without permission...

Always use with care both...
Also, for defrag, just use the windows one ;)

toto_10

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
I scanned the file with virustotal and even big/recognized companies like ESET, Malwarebytes and Sophos detects the file as virus. This is waaay shady for me and I would never use a software like this.

I never trust Auslogics because they contain hidden adware :)just don't use it because there are better alternatives like o&o (free).
I can see that O&O Defrag Free Edition is outdated, so that's a no-go for me.

Nevertheless, from past some years many Antivirus & Anti Malware vendors have started to detect PUP/ PUA on high priority basis.
I see this as a positive thing. No companies should install ads/toolbars without the users permission.

Now the best defrag software for windows already comes preinstalled with your O.S ,Windows Defragmenter, and the one built in Windows 8.1 & Windows 10 feature latest defrag technologies. So there is no need to go for any 3rd party vendor defrag software.

But still if you want to go in for one , you can always use Defraggler by Piriform.
I do like Windows Defragmenter but it doesn't defrag files bigger than 64MB so I installed Defraggler by Piriform and it does a solid job.

Attachments

• virustotal.pdf
    93.4 KB · Views: 417
Reactions: shukla44 and given

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
ESET flags it, also..... Has "Boost Speed" bundled up in it.
Defraggler is fantastic!
Iobit Smart Defrag is great, also. (optimizes with a "pro" key) available anywhere on the WWW

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
Yes when I was using Avast Premier it blocked it. Now I noticed Windows Defender with pups enabled blocks it to. I've noticed a few months ago the Filehippo removed it from their site, so there must be some truth that their installer contains malware in it.

Reactions: frogboy

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Yes when I was using Avast Premier it blocked it. Now I noticed Windows Defender with pups enabled blocks it to. I've noticed a few months ago the Filehippo removed it from their site, so there must be some truth that their installer contains malware in it.

Yes, they have bundled software (adware) which is bad. Use it at your own risk.
What are you talking about filehippo removed it? I always download Auslogics, Piriform & Wise products from filehippo & they have never removed it except for Ccleaner 5.33.

Reactions: DJPRMF and frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.