Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
not yet but I will test it in the future
@all: sorry I can't find out what norton safe web is
is it an extension installed by norton, or is it a website to check other web reputation (like wot) or is it the same as norton safe search/identify safe?
There are many Norton safety extensions on Chrome web store. Here's the Norton Safe Web you're looking for.
This is the standard URL blocker add-on from Norton, many others are primarily safe 'search' add-ons.

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
There are many Norton safety extensions on Chrome web store. Here's the Norton Safe Web you're looking for.
This is the standard URL blocker add-on from Norton, many others are primarily safe 'search' add-ons.
I actually wanted to exclude some and only get the real url blockers... But some people like icons that show the rating..

Reactions: frogboy

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I've seen Avira block loads of bad sites and it does have more FPs than other addons, but that's on us to decide. It's better (atleast for me) to decide rather than have no alert on potential malicious/bad links. It does have good rogueware and adware sites blocking (that feel like FPs at times to users). But that's great!
I have used Avast IS and its blocking is quite decent, probably lesser than Avira.
Norton Safe Web and MCAfee URL Advisor have been there for very long and these cover big domain areas of the Internet. I have used both, a few years back, but cannot comment on their effectiveness now, against the others. Norton has good community ratings and badware/rogueware aite ratings.
Regarding BD TrafficLight, I'll totally agree with Evjl Rain. It is great at blocking phishing attempts, but not much good otherwise.
I haven't tested Panda Safe Web, though some reviews put it along the famous ones.
@Xsjx please add Norton Safe Web in the poll options.

I actually wanted to exclude some and only get the real url blockers... But some people like icons that show the rating..
Those do warn atleast ;)
You've asked about 'Web reputation plugin and site advisor, not URL blocker. So I'm considering things in that spirit. Atleast their effectiveness will be known to people here.

Adguard (with malware & phishing protection ON) & HTTPS Everywhere
In my main browser (firefox), I've one more - NoScript
Adding any other safety extensions for websites is redundant IMO & make the surfing more slower.
I voted adguard. The malware filter is very good. You can enable other filters too in the settings. Adguard alone alongside your av will give you enough protection imo.
Can you guys comment on Adguard's malware and phishing link blocking abilities as compared to Avira or the likes (and ignoring the complementary URL blocking ability of the Realtime AV on the system)?
You've already appreciated its malware filter, but it would be nice to know how well it stands against the others (experiences will do) :)

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
I've seen Avira block loads of bad sites and it does have more FPs than other addons, but that's on us to decide. It's better (atleast for me) to decide rather than have no alert on potential malicious/bad links. It does have good rogueware and adware sites blocking (that feel like FPs at times to users). But that's great!
I have used Avast IS and its blocking is quite decent, probably lesser than Avira.
Norton Safe Web and MCAfee URL Advisor have been there for very long and these cover big domain areas of the Internet. I have used both, a few years back, but cannot comment on their effectiveness now, against the others. Norton has good community ratings and badware/rogueware aite ratings.
Regarding BD TrafficLight, I'll totally agree with Evjl Rain. It is great at blocking phishing attempts, but not much good otherwise.
I haven't tested Panda Safe Web, though some reviews put it along the famous ones.
@Xsjx please add Norton Safe Web in the poll options.

Those do warn atleast ;)
You've asked about 'Web reputation plugin and site advisor, not URL blocker. So I'm considering things in that spirit. Atleast their effectiveness will be known to people here.

Can you guys comment on Adguard's malware and phishing link blocking abilities as compared to Avira or the likes (and ignoring the complementary URL blocking ability of the Realtime AV on the system)?
You've already appreciated its malware filter, but it would be nice to know how well it stands against the others (experiences will do) :)
I didnt asked for web reputation plugin the admins changed it :p

Edit: i add norton safe web if i am on my phone ( pc i cant edit? )

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I tested adguard extension vs avira vs google chrome safe browsing vs ublock here :)
Video Review - uBlock Origin Test

I would say if you are using google chrome and uBO with some custom filters, adguard adds no extra protection compared to that combo
adguard uses google safe browsing API and their malware filters, which can be added to uBO in filterlists.com

if you are using firefox or other non-chromium browser, adguard is useful

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
So far the competition here is between Avira Browser Safety and McAfee Secure Safe Browsing.

However the comparison is already closed in terms of overall protection mechanism since Avira itself is highly known to gather large scale of database information to register as signatures/generic/web detection.

------------------

The other plugins are inconsistent on malware and phishing category so sometimes you need to look for better alternatives.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Please look at the descriptions of different products and experience before judging them..
Here's Norton Safe Search
Screenshot (68).png
Here's Norton Safe Web
Screenshot (67).png
Now you know that one (Safe Search addons) primarily filters search results (if selected) and show indicators
BUT the other (Safe web addon) does automatically block malicious/unsafe sites and downloads, like other famous URL blockers.
You can have a look at the entire family of Norton extensions here.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttto

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Please look at the descriptions of different products and experience before judging them..
Here's Norton Safe Search
View attachment 144246
Here's Norton Safe Web
View attachment 144247
Now you know that one (Safe Search addons) primarily filters search results (if selected) and show indicators
BUT the other (Safe web addon) does automatically block malicious/unsafe sites and downloads, like other famous URL blockers.
You can have a look at the entire family of Norton extensions here.
II didnt judge Norton... More about Avast thing..

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Voted for None, because it's not a Site Advisor.
Dr Web Link Checker​

In my opinion, a Site Rating for Websites are over-rated and can provide misinformation for legitimate sites, when an user-based community / rating is included. Not to say you should not use one, if you cannot determine a Safe or Bad website. :)

Reactions: FrFc1908

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.