Serious Discussion Comodo Internet Security 2024 Beta is now available

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Did some initial testing with no main issues but a lot of the background stuff is still there like HTTPS TCP protocols not there by default and Startup / Event Log entries still there after uninstall. Yes, had a facelift and added TDT Integration which is disabled by default but I think there's a bit of work to be done to bring it forward and current.

Not to mention the background coding is still old. "Code integrity ...image hash of a file is not valid. The file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash could indicate a potential disk device error. File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\guard64.dll "

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how it develops.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I would have expected the new Comodo to be Xcitium paid product with some stuff disabled, but based on the user reactions it seems parts of the code is overhauled. It is still early days, 4 months to go, seems like a decent time to iron out bugs.

Great news for Comodo fans (y)

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
The free versions of Kaspersky and Bitdefender are subsidized by the millions of paying customers.

With regard to Bitdefender it has always been derided as Bugdefender. The Bitdefender forum is always filled with bug reports. Some of that is unwarranted because Bitdefender, like other antivirus, does not publish expected behaviors. Lots of things about the freeware version that are considered buggy are not bugs, but instead expected behaviors.

Comodo has no paying customers to subsidize the free version. At least not for CIS and CFW. If one does pay for either, then they are not paying for the software but the support plan and a warranty.
Then maybe they shouldn't have a free version. If other AV's use their free versions to entice customers to eventually buy a paid version then why does Comodo have a free version if its driving some customers away.

And your right about Bitdefender, I totally forgot as I've never used it. :(

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

The whole point of Comodo from the beginning of the project was to offer a security suite for zero cost. Zero cost also means a user gets what they get. All free software is provided on a best effort "as is" basis.

There is no paid version of Comodo. When users pay, they are paying for technical support and a malware removal warranty.

Comodo companies have never attempted generating any revenue from CFW or CIS.
It does not matter what kind of paid service you offer on top of a free product, it still makes it a freemium product.

Comodo sold it's certificate business and Xcitium does not seem to grow much (when you look at pitchbook)
1692076712437.png

Customers are reasonably satified with Xcitium on Gartner's peer review (which is a leading consultancy firm in the Enterprise market). But does not do so well when you compare their NPS-score with Malwarebytes Enterprise (and they only have a tenth of the number of reviews compared to Malwarebytes). Furthermore Xcitium has no recent reviews, which seems to confirm that they are not growing as estimated by Pitchbook.

1692077222648.png

Above is strange, for two reasons: firstly MBAM does not do well in @Shadowra's tests, while Comodo always does a perfect job in @cruelsister's tests and secondly Xcitium does not seem to grow in a business where even the weaker products show double digit growth.

Long story short: the above pictures and links proof that their strategy does not pay off. In digital marketing a noisy army of fans does not compensate for all the negative news of disappointed users. Disappointed users hammering on unsolved bugs and incompatibility with mainstream tech are not an advertisement in the corporate market (is a huge "don't enter our premises beware of the dogs bugs" sign)

This is a polite way of saying your bug-release-strategy-explanation does not make sense. Let's celebrate the fact that Comodo is actually releasing a new and improved CIS 2024 (already in 2023 (y))

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 100397

The internet connectivity issue can by instantly fixed by disabling the COMODO Internet Security Firewall Driver in the properties of your network adapter.

I couldn't find any mention of it.
Users reported network issues, so they released a new version. The download link for the new version is available in the first post on the forum.

It appears they stopped supporting Windows 7, 8, and 8.1.

lyldz

Level 2
Verified
Jun 4, 2016
They need to activate the programme update via the application. I guess this should not be difficult, so many problems can be solved without installing new applications every time.

It is almost impossible to use the programme except in English. For example, when it is made in Turkish, nonsense characters appear.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Certainly some of that happens from particular parties. More curious are those who bemoan Comodo as buggy, infrequently updated while at the same time disregard that it is a free, unpaid product.

If they want refinement with regular bug fixes and updates, then why don't they donate to the Comodo project? Does Comodo owe anybody in userland a thing? I do not know of a single freeware that is not offered "as is" and is based upon the publisher's willingness to work on the product.

A better Comodo would require a whole lot of money. Obviously Comodo has only ever been willing to spend a limited amount, which makes sense, going back to the fact that it is a freeware.
While Comodo Home products are primarily used by individuals at no cost, it is important to mention that Comodo also provides a paid Home version for $29.99 per year. Additionally, a considerable portion of Comodo's revenue comes from the corporate sector.

Regarding the conversation in this thread, the majority of the negative remarks are not particularly hostile, particularly when considering that Comodo invested years of preparation and released a beta version that could potentially disrupt users' internet connectivity.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@rokkudaun LOL repeating the same arguments does not make them more applicable. I disagreed with you and provided factual information (links) to underline that (to put it politely) your bug-release-strategy-explanation does not make sense. Since I don't see much use in repeating myself and reading my arguments for the second time won't enlighten you. I will pass :ROFLMAO: and repeat ""let's celebrate the fact that Comodo is actually releasing a new and improved CIS 2024 (already in 2023 (y))".

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It is a free product. It is not a freemium product because there is no paid version.
typical user, (assume knows nothing other than he) hears something about comodo, goes to their webpage and sees $29.99 / year... :unsure: or $39.99 for 3, also a link for "full protection" Not obvious user can download a free product, imo.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Comodo does not need home users. It never has. CFW and CIS have always been charity products for those who cannot afford to pay for antivirus. That is THE reason that Melih created it.
I stand corrected it works when you repeat the same thing three times people believe you

I have seen the light :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Let us all preach the word of Melih

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.