LastPass
*Backup Browser= Edge
AdGuard DNS
AdGuagd Premium
Ublock
LastPass
Maintenance tools
Kerish Dr. (Premium)
Ccleaner (Lifetime) (browser cleaning only)
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect Home (Premium) Cloning
System recovery
Reflect Home (Premium)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well I think better choose one between Voodoshield and WAR since the concept of detection is related on behavior/signature based especially on disinfecrion process.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
You will come back to Windows 10, i can guarantee you ^^
Sure I will, whenever I want to Game, other than that, no I won't, you know me better than that my brother ;)

Well I think better choose one between Voodoshield and WAR since the concept of detection is related on behavior/signature based especially on disinfecrion process.
No, WAR is an application control and anti-ransome software, while VoodooShield is an Anti-Exe software.
You know I love your feedback, but your wrong here.
Its HMPA that was redundant in my config and its gone now.
I only game on the Windows 10 Drive, no browsing, no office software, its all stripped for
nothing but gaming, the Linux Drive (that i am on now) is for everyday use. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
If you think Linux mint is cooler, try stable debian or even dip into arch. While you should be ok on stock debian and maintenance is very little since Linux mint is based on Ubuntu which was based on debian so most commands aside fro backports, user flags, repos and sources etc are the same (hint you can use ppa on debian), arch will be a totally different flavour and maintenance (if you really want to see arch then look for the install script but try it on a vm first, manjaro continues to have buggy issues for a daily driver so I don't recommend it. If anything archbang which is open box arch Linux or antergos. You can also try out bunsenlabs debian which is a continuation of previously famous crunchbang which is open box customized and running on debian stable.

All in all Linux mint is actually the middle ground of performance. ALS trying other desktop environments will either net u more performance gain or not. Linux world is weird world that's why I dual boot windows 10 with antergos

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
If you think Linux mint is cooler, try stable debian or even dip into arch. While you should be ok on stock debian and maintenance is very little since Linux mint is based on Ubuntu which was based on debian so most commands aside fro backports, user flags, repos and sources etc are the same (hint you can use ppa on debian), arch will be a totally different flavour and maintenance (if you really want to see arch then look for the install script but try it on a vm first, manjaro continues to have buggy issues for a daily driver so I don't recommend it. If anything archbang which is open box arch Linux or antergos. You can also try out bunsenlabs debian which is a continuation of previously famous crunchbang which is open box customized and running on debian stable.

All in all Linux mint is actually the middle ground of performance. ALS trying other desktop environments will either net u more performance gain or not. Linux world is weird world that's why I dual boot windows 10 with antergos
Thanks for the advice and tips, I will keep most of this in mind, a few of these interest me.
I initially was going to go with Ubuntu but I had used it in the past so this time I decided to give Mint a whirl, I like it so far ;)

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Thanks for the advice and tips, I will keep most of this in mind, a few of these interest me.
I initially was going to go with Ubuntu but I had used it in the past so this time I decided to give Mint a whirl, I like it so far ;)
With vanilla debian and vanilla arch you have full control and freedom of what you want there. Ubuntu,mint,elementary etc are in my opinion bloated. Good to have installed in a vm to understand its tweaks and configs but then is when you go hands on stock is and do the customization.

If you don't know arch, stick to debian. Look into backports as well as you will need that eventually if you are using stable branch of devian. If you go arch way you can try manjaro to have a feel in vm and then proceed to install arch in a vm and study its install guide, configuration guide and user flags guide (arch wiki is the most comprehensive one, on same level as gentoo).

Another alternative is stable cent os but you need to know which repos will allow you to pimp it but that is not hard either. Yes have used previous version of centos just fine for a home computer:)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
With vanilla debian and vanilla arch you have full control and freedom of what you want there. Ubuntu,mint,elementary etc are in my opinion bloated. Good to have installed in a vm to understand its tweaks and configs but then is when you go hands on stock is and do the customization.

If you don't know arch, stick to debian. Look into backports as well as you will need that eventually if you are using stable branch of devian. If you go arch way you can try manjaro to have a feel in vm and then proceed to install arch in a vm and study its install guide, configuration guide and user flags guide (arch wiki is the most comprehensive one, on same level as gentoo).

Another alternative is stable cent os but you need to know which repos will allow you to pimp it but that is not hard either. Yes have used previous version of centos just fine for a home computer:)
Thank You, I will go investigating, is it ok if I PM you if I have any questions ?
I have VMWare so popping these open in a VM wont be hard. Thanks :)

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Thank You, I will go investigating, is it ok if I PM you if I have any questions ?
I have VMWare so popping these open in a VM wont be hard. Thanks :)
Yes you can but not in front of PC right now.
Before deciding on distribution read through different desktop environments. Kde brings kde dependencies while gnome3 cinna, mate and to a stage xfce bring gnome dependencies etc.

One example my gaming rig running a stock open box configuration (no time yet to customize tint2 panel etc) is lightning fast, but when you switch to kde plasma despite being fast you do notice of a performance drop. Bear in mind that kde plasma is the stable version etc and its fast for a system like mine.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Yes you can but not in front of PC right now.
Before deciding on distribution read through different desktop environments. Kde brings kde dependencies while gnome3 cinna, mate and to a stage xfce bring gnome dependencies etc.

One example my gaming rig running a stock open box configuration (no time yet to customize tint2 panel etc) is lightning fast, but when you switch to kde plasma despite being fast you do notice of a performance drop. Bear in mind that kde plasma is the stable version etc and its fast for a system like mine.
Ok, and I didn't mean right now, just if I had any questions in the future. Thanks for your help and advice Ink :)
L'dub has been helping me out too, so I have not broke one thing yet :p

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Elementary OS & Solus are good looking distro's you should try out.
I heard about Elementary, have you tried it ?
If so what was your impression ?
:::EDIT:::
I went to look : https://elementary.io/
I would pay for that, that is a very attractive OS.
Why did you have to show me that :p
I am going to have to buy another HDD, I want Elementary, and with another Seagate Barracuda I could keep Windows, Mint, and Elementary.
Thanks @xCharbz

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
If you wanna use some type of sandbox you can try FireJail.

On my Windows 7, I have 50 FPS in World of Warcraft and on my Linux I have 64 (Manjaro XFCE).
I run one of these with dual nvidia 960 ti's : http://www.digitalstorm.com/
I used to tournament play in Americas Army, before it became AA PG, it used to be a recruiting tool for the US army, now its
one of the best free FPS games on the market, if you have steam its in the store ;)
If its a FPS thats not Call Of Duty, I most likely have it and am known in there. I tried the MMO scene and the closest I can get
is "The Division" its a shooter type MMO, if your skillz are honed you should check it out, its on the UBISoft, and Steam clients.
PeAcE
Crap, I forgot, I Have FireJail I updated my config, its easy to forget because its so unintrusive ;)

Last edited:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Elementary is free.
Previous build was good. Current one a bit heavy.

Stability wise not much different from Ubuntu. Just some inhouse apps.

Samba sharing didn't work for me, Bluetooth the same and I had problems with CPU being more busy but that's across any Ubuntu system on such version, including mint

I heard about Elementary, have you tried it ?
If so what was your impression ?
:::EDIT:::
I went to look : https://elementary.io/
I would pay for that, that is a very attractive OS.
Why did you have to show me that :p
I am going to have to buy another HDD, I want Elementary, and with another Seagate Barracuda I could keep Windows, Mint, and Elementary.
Thanks @xCharbz

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
You will come back to Windows 10, i can guarantee you ^^
Can't go wrong with Mint. I only recently switched back to Windows to try Windows 10, and whilst I really like Windows 10 I'm thinking og switching back to Mint. I have a decent system myself but since switching back to Windows 10 my fans are much louder.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.