User Feedback Emsisoft Anti-Malware quick review

Software
Emsisoft Anti-Malware
Installation
4.00 star(s)
Installation Feedback
Nothing to complain, works well. Uninstaller also cleared most traces, better than average I'd say.
Interface (UI)
3.00 star(s)
Interface Feedback
Again, its straightforward and does its job. I've seen better.
Usability
2.00 star(s)
Usability Feedback
Reality is the performance impact affects usability too. There simply are better products out there for same price, in fact for free too.
Performance and System Impact
1.00 star(s)
Performance and System Impact Feedback
This thing used over 1.7GB of RAM for me. Ridiculous. My 10 core 20 thread CPU was used as much as over 40% sometimes by Emsisoft processes... That is totally unacceptable. Probably a lot to do with the infamous resource hog Bitdefender engine.
Protection
3.00 star(s)
Protection Feedback
Mixed results.
Real-time file system protection
4.00 star(s)
Internet Surf protection
3.00 star(s)
Proactive Intrusion protection
4.00 star(s)
Network protection
3.00 star(s)
Pros
  1. Ransomware protection
  2. Blocks even brand new malware
  3. Virus signatures are updated very often
  4. Effective malware removal
  5. Multiple layers of protection
Cons
  1. Basics-only feature set
  2. Advanced users may want more control
  3. Noticeable system impact
  4. Can be resource-hungry
  5. Mixed results from independent testing labs
  6. Not as many features as some competitors
  7. Browser extension extras can be unreliable
  8. Significant impact while playing games
Software installed on computer
Less than 30 days
Computer specs
CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
RAM: 32GB 3200MHz CL16
Storage: Samsung 960 PRO 512GB used as OS drive
Overall Rating
3.00 star(s)
Disclaimer
  1. Any views or opinions expressed are that of the member giving the information and may be subjective.
    This software may behave differently on your device.

We encourage you to compare these opinions with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying a product you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

rain2reign

Level 2
Jun 21, 2020
Just going to say it, but if it doesn't work on your system, but it does everyone else's than its most likely your system. Not trying to be rude or anything, but you are describing an issue that really only effected a select few. And any AV, and I do mean any and every other AV, has their small group of users with issues. It just so happens you are one of them.

"If it don't work, it don't work."

You are also not willing to look into it, by flagging it on the Emsisoft forum. Which is fine, your choice and I respect that. But don't keep on repeating the same thing with the same comments over and over again. It will only look like you're trying to beat a dead horse, just for the sheer fun of it and other users might be less... inclined to give more meaningful comments. If Eset works for your situation, and you are satisfied with it, go with Eset. If it's Kaspersky, then go for that and so on.

Reiner

Level 1
Jan 26, 2021
Just going to say it, but if it doesn't work on your system, but it does everyone else's than its most likely your system. Not trying to be rude or anything, but you are describing an issue that really only effected a select few. And any AV, and I do mean any and every other AV, has their small group of users with issues. It just so happens you are one of them.

"If it don't work, it don't work."

You are also not willing to look into it, by flagging it on the Emsisoft forum. Which is fine, your choice and I respect that. But don't keep on repeating the same thing with the same comments over and over again. It will only look like you're trying to beat a dead horse, just for the sheer fun of it and other users might be less... inclined to give more meaningful comments. If Eset works for your situation, and you are satisfied with it, go with Eset. If it's Kaspersky, then go for that and so on.
I agree 100% with you, so it has been commented before if you want to solve your problem even post on the Emsisoft forum, here nobody will solve it

SumTingWong

Level 25
Verified
Apr 2, 2018
Well... Emsisoft uses more both RAM and virtual RAM for me.
View attachment 254329View attachment 254331
Private bytes left, working set right (displayed by process explorer). I mean ESET uses a lot less of both virtual and physical RAM. Can't really get away from it. If you look at combined usage of RAM and virtual RAM of all those Emsisoft processes, we're looking at like over 1.3GB usage if my quick math doesn't fail me... While ESET is using just about 250MB of RAM and virtual RAM combined in contrast.

I gave Emsisoft last try this time also just letting it sit idle for few hours when I was afk (this screenshot BTW was taken on the last Emsisoft try and ESET screenshot just now as I'm using it). RAM usage had dropped at lowest to around 170MB according to task manager. The moment I launched a game it shot back up over 350MB instantly. Probably if I had started couple other programs on the side it would have been over 500MB again, but I just grew tired and uninstalled it one last time.

And its not just high memory usage, it is also higher CPU usage. Monitoring this time TW: Warhammer 2 by starting it up 3 times netted about 15-17% CPU usage spike for Emsisoft each time. Windows Defender topped at around 8%. ESET peaked at about 7% as well this time on the first launch. However on 2nd and 3rd launches both WD and ESET barely used any CPU, while Emsisoft kept using the same amount each time...

I do wonder how much it was actually using virtual RAM on top of physical RAM when it was using 1.7GB. Didn't realize to check with process explorer that time 😂
Yike. High ram usage and cpu usage. I am happy with ESET Nod32.

Reactions: roger_m