Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Hi,
Of course it does not work, because it relys on WFP. WFP can be easily disabled and do reg add command to add your own rules. I've tested Malwarebytes firewall control. Failed miserably by adding fw rules, even tampering was enabled. Thats why i prefer third party firewalls, that does not rely windows own filtering driver. Sophisticated, "untected" malware can do those fw rules way before windows firewall is even started.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Hi,
Of course it does not work, because it relys on WFP. WFP can be easily disabled and do reg add command to add your own rules. I've tested Malwarebytes firewall control. Failed miserably by adding fw rules, even tampering was enabled. Thats why i prefer third party firewalls, that does not rely windows own filtering driver. Sophisticated, "untected" malware can do those fw rules way before windows firewall is even started.
I understand that it's impossible to know about every single feature/module etc on all security softwares, but F-Secure is as stated " designed " to work with Windows Firewall. That also means it exist something called Advanced network protection ( ANP ) that is enabled by default and works even if Windows Firewall ( WF ) is turned off for any reason. It's makes it harder for malware that's able to kill/shut down WF.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Never heard of that AND. Trend Micro has the same. It works for sure, when using crappy windows own firewall. I prefer Symantec own firewall driver.
And never ever trust Windows own firewall.
-sepik

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.