From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
If I want to make a backup of all my settings, should I use Save profile or Tools,Manage profiles Backup.
You can save your settings in the setting profile (<Save Profile> button). If you have many custom whitelisted entries then you can also save them in the whitelist profile (<Save Load> button).
H_C_save.png

You can use <Tools><Manage Profiles Backup> to store all your setting profiles and all your whitelist profiles to one encrypted file. This can be useful if you would need to make a fresh Windows installation.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Bug report, version 5.0.1.1:
I added 3 cmd files by using Whitelist by Hash then after clicking the close button on that window it was not working. Checked task manager and it was using 30% CPU on average. I waited 10 minutes and it was still the same. I had to end the process via task manager. Then opened HC again and this time I didn't even change anything, I just clicked Close button on the main HC window and again same issue. Didn't work and 30% CPU usage. Restarted the system, ran HC but again same issue. While I tried to execute any unsigned exe file, I was getting an error. Something like "Referal... to the server...". I probably saw this line somewhere before, maybe in a HC popup before applying SRP rules. So you're probably aware of the cause of this particular error. I was using "WIndows_10_MT_Windows_Security_hardening" profile with Validate Admin C.S. turned off. Then I tried to uninstall HC but same CPU usage issue occurred again. Restarted the system and installed 5.0.0.0 version, applied the same profile again. The 3 files that I manually whitelisted are still there. Hopefully it was installed successfully over the beta version and found no issue yet.
z.PNG

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Bug report, version 5.0.1.1:
I added 3 cmd files by using Whitelist by Hash then after clicking the close button on that window it was not working.
Bug confirmed. The settings are applied correctly to the Windows Registry, but the GUI freezes. After performing log off the account the settings are activated correctly.
I will push the fixed version soon.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The issue with freezing GUI is somewhat related to displaying the main window when there are some items whitelisted by hash. When the user logs off and then logs on again, it is possible to run the H_C and remove all items whitelisted by hash. After that, everything works well. I am working now on fixing this issue.(y)

Most users cannot probably see this issue, because whitelisting by hash is not common.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
The issue with freezing GUI is somewhat related to displaying the main window when there are some items whitelisted by hash. When the user logs off and then logs on again, it is possible to run the H_C and remove all items whitelisted by hash. After that, everything works well. I am working now on fixing this issue.(y)

Most users cannot probably see this issue, because whitelisting by hash is not common.
Oh, I see. Yes not common so lucky found for me. Btw, is the bug present in 5.0 too or only in the beta?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Hello. I have a quick observation. I installed some little desktop jewelry which has completely redone the start menu. Now then, at all times I need the command prompt handy. What I found is if I right-click "cmd" there is the context menu choice "Install by SmartScreen." If I click this, the cmd box opens correctly with C:Windows\system32. You probably already explained this and I missed it.

But it's quite a welcome addition, believe me. I now rely on the Start Menu and taskbar 100% of the time and this is most convenient.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Hello. I have a quick observation. I installed some little desktop jewelry which has completely redone the start menu. Now then, at all times I need the command prompt handy. What I found is if I right-click "cmd" there is the context menu choice "Install by SmartScreen." If I click this, the cmd box opens correctly with C:Windows\system32. You probably already explained this and I missed it.

But it's quite a welcome addition, believe me. I now rely on the Start Menu and taskbar 100% of the time and this is most convenient.
What profile do you use?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, here is the thing, Andy Ful. There is no profile selected. I just re-loaded the Firewall Hardening rules via the user interface of H_C. Yet this option is now in the context menu. Don't know how it got there but I'm not complaining. Admittedly not familiar with the H_C portion as I've never activated SRP here, just via group policy. The green S, this is via Hard_Configurator, correct?

hcsm.png

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Well, here is the thing, Andy Ful. There is no profile selected. I just re-loaded the Firewall Hardening rules via the user interface of H_C. Yet this option is now in the context menu. Don't know how it got there but I'm not complaining. Admittedly not familiar with the H_C portion as I've never activated SRP here, just via group policy. The green S, this is via Hard_Configurator, correct?

This entry "Install By SmartScreen" was introduced in the beta version as a replacement for "Run As SmartScreen". Could you post here the screenshot of H_C? Depending on the chosen settings, the CMD will be opened with standard rights or with Administrator rights.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

I fixed the bug. Now I have to recompile H_C and send it to whitelisting by Microsoft, Avast, etc. The corrected beta will be available in a few days.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
hcui.PNG

I think I inadvertently clicked on "Switch OFF/ON SRP" but quickly reverted. If I click again on this green button, the message box will say "SRP will be ACTIVATED." Meaning, the SRP should be OFF now. This is definitely not a software to take lightly, so if I did something, I should undo it now.

Edit: Andy Ful, if I simply click on the cmd icon, it opens with Standard rights. If I click on Open via the context menu, cmd will also open as Administrator. Again, this is not the Windows default Start Menu but StartisBack. There is no H_C icon there either, just the generic white rectangle.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Hard_Configurator beta ver. 5.1.1.1

Fixed the whitelist by hash issue. The H_C NSISS installer is also new and contains both 64-bit and 32-bit installations. Please let me know about any issues. The new files were whitelisted on Saturday night (Microsoft, Avast), so there should not be false positives. Unfortunately, I do not know if Bitdefender and Symantec whitelisted the files, because there is no information about whitelisting from their side.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.