How do you stop ESET from unilaterally deleting good programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Were you running a trial two nights ago when you installed this and then bought and activated a license yesterday?

No sir. I would not dream of such dishonorable behavior, deceiving people, deceiving the very Malware Tips comrades who took the trouble to answer this thread and assist me. And why would anyone want to buy a license for a trial program he was having problems with? Money doesn't grow on trees.

I do acknowledge it seems bizarre, different results with the same program. But as I pointed out, ESET (and other security programs) behave differently in different environments. Sometimes a scanner will flag something on Jotti and not flag it on Virus Total, or vice-versa. And sometimes a scanner flags something on my system that it doesn't flag on Virus Total.

I am hopeful that with the configuration you guys have helped me to do that things will be a lot smoother from now on.

Reactions: illumination
I

illumination

No sir. I would not dream of such dishonorable behavior, deceiving people, deceiving the very Malware Tips comrades who took the trouble to answer this thread and assist me. And why would anyone want to buy a license for a trial program he was having problems with? Money doesn't grow on trees.

I do acknowledge it seems bizarre, different results with the same program. But as I pointed out, ESET (and other security programs) behave differently in different environments. Sometimes a scanner will flag something on Jotti and not flag it on Virus Total, or vice-versa. And sometimes a scanner flags something on my system that it doesn't flag on Virus Total.

I am hopeful that with the configuration you guys have helped me to do that things will be a lot smoother from now on.
I was not trying to apply there was dishonesty. When you buy a license of Eset, it starts that day and runs exactly a year from that day, and yours reads 4/4/2017, which was yesterday. You original post above stated you had trouble the night before yesterday with your product, so i figured it may have been a trial that you just activated yesterday.

Reactions: conceptualclarity

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I was not trying to apply there was dishonesty. When you buy a license of Eset, it starts that day and runs exactly a year from that day, and yours reads 4/4/2017, which was yesterday. You original post above stated you had trouble the night before yesterday with your product, so i figured it may have been a trial that you just activated yesterday.

This is a matter of time zones. Where I am, CST, I succeeded in activating it in the wee hours of April 4.

By the way, the version for ALL Browsers Memory Zip that got quarantined was not the most recent version. Now I have it up to date.

Reactions: illumination

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
ESET's icon is not autostarting in my system tray.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I just had ESET flag svchost.exe. :rolleyes:

GSCss1.png

sunrise

Level 2
Verified
Aug 2, 2014
I just had ESET flag svchost.exe. :rolleyes:

GSCss1.png
Nope it's not. Something on F drive (a flash drive/ ext hdd?) is trying to gain access to svchost.exe . That A0390703.exe seems suspicious.

Also a trial is usually only 30 days. How is it that your trial is have 1 year of validity?

Don't download from cnet download.com as it is usually pack with PUP/Adware. So it is right for ESET to detect them.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Nope it's not. Something on F drive (a flash drive/ ext hdd?) is trying to gain access to svchost.exe . That A0390703.exe seems suspicious..

Thank you for your response, ramjade. FD is my external hard drive, and because my internal hard drive is small, I use F as a sort of combination Desktop and Program Files.

I checked out A0390703.exe, and it is ALL Browsers Memory Zip, which is a quite legitimate program.

Also a trial is usually only 30 days. How is it that your trial is have 1 year of validity?

I've got a paid subscription, not a trial.

Don't download from cnet download.com as it is usually pack with PUP/Adware. So it is right for ESET to detect them.

I have avoided CNET for downloads for years. I download from the developer's page when possible; otherwise I go to Softpedia or Major Geeks.

An example of false positives in ESET's PUA detection is that ESET always flags the setup file for CCleaner. And it's always all alone in this. (See screenshot). I always download the CCleaner update from the Piriform website itself, not from a bundling download site. I have never encountered any bundled toolbar with CCleaner.

40wCbr.png

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
And how does that count as a false positive when the file itself is not flagged by Eset on the system, neither the URL nor the download is blocked in any way.It might be an issue with virustotal's version, nothing found here.

upload_2016-4-8_8-14-12.png

D

Deleted member 2913

CCleaner standard installer has some kinda bundled toolbar.
Do you use standard installer?

For slim installer the website mention no bundled toolbar, that means standard installer has some kinda bundled toolbar.

Reactions: Rishi

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
CCleaner standard installer has some kinda bundled toolbar.
Do you use standard installer?

For slim installer the website mention no bundled toolbar, that means standard installer has some kinda bundled toolbar.

I have never encountered a bundled toolbar as a result of frequently downloading CCleaner updates. I just installed the latest CCleaner update. ExeWatch confirmed that no bundled software came on board my system. ExeWatch is a free program I really like; I use it to track the possible presence on my system of any unwanted new software.

I don't know the difference between the standard and slim installer here. I have been downloading CCleaner from FileHippo, which is where the Piriform website sends you.

D

Deleted member 2913

Marcos, I guess is Eset staff, he replied CCleaner has bundled toolbar in the Wilders thread.

Guess Concept has started a thread there.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
The Ccleaner standard version has two 2 NSIS .cab packages hidden inside - relating to a google toolbar( as stated in their downloads page), however the packages are supressed and Eset will not read through them(either they are supressed by the registry or Eset itself). Upon comparing the slim version of Ccleaner those two packages are not there, if you are going to clean the standard version installer you will get the slim version - barely 0.6 mb difference. In either cases, Eset will not interrupt the installation, but from a distance it has a good reason to flag it.

Visit this builds page you will know what it means : CCleaner - Builds

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.